CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-09-2008, 05:57 AM   #1
Will Nuse

Profile:
diet while on deployment

I've been on deployment in Southwest Asia for the last three months, and have been Crossfitting the whole time I've been out here. I've lost about ten to fifteen pounds thus far; several of my friends who I ran into out here mentioned that I looked like I'd been working out, which was gratifying. My times have been dropping, though I haven't been recording them, and my strength has improved dramatically, especially my upper body--I really look forward to doing pullups now. I've started POSE running as well, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to incorporate that into my workouts, since I've slacked off on running for years now and would really like to be able to run continuously for, say, an hour, with enough speed to finish my 1.5 mi run for the PRT in 10 minutes--both are long term goals.

That said, I could stand to lose another ten pounds of fat (if I stay at 200 lbs and lose the back/love-handle flab I'd be perfectly happy). What I'm trying to figure out is the best way to eat while on deployment. I keep reading on the boards that people put off cleaning up their nutrition and diet for months or years, and when they finally did, they regretted not doing so sooner. I'd like to remove that self-imposed limitation on myself and start cleaning up my diet now, and it's a greater challenge due to the availability of chow out here, as well as my lack of understanding as to HOW to clean my diet up in the first place. I'm continuing my education on the boards on the second part; I'd like some input on how to do that on deployment, though.

That said, some of you might not know how our chow halls are set up. There are typically two lines, one for fast food (burgers, corn dogs, brats, fries, etc.--I never eat that) and one main line, which is a variety of cafeteria style food, which varies dramatically in fat, protein, and carb content from meal to meal. There's sometimes a second grill set up for Phillie cheese-steaks, etc. There's typically a salad bar, which vary in how good they are from location to location, and a fruit carving stand as well. I'll leave out all the dessert options because there are far too many, and none of them good.

I typically get a meat entree, at least one vegetable side, if not two, occasionally a salad with no dressing, fresh fruit, and I admit that I get dessert usually once a day, which is the first habit I have to break. Breakfast/midrats are the most dependable meals since I usually get an omelette/scramble with everything but cheese (tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, and peppers), some fruit, and juice.

If you've got any advice regarding how you ate while on deployment being fed by KBR or another alphabet soup company, I'd like to hear it. Thanks!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: diet while on deployment

Sounds like you're on the right track. I'm not speaking from experience, but I would imagine that Zoning can be pretty difficult when you have such little say in food sources. So sticking as close to Paleo and eyeballing (at best) Zone portions would probably be the best thing to do.

Ditch the desert, add some fat, and your diet really doesn't sound too shabby.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:39 AM   #3
Bart Hodlik

Profile:

Hey I know exactly what you're going through. Being on a Navy ship, our food is terrible at best. I have to say that the easiest thing for me, was to simply get canned tuna or albacore, or even chicken. LOTS of nuts, and dried fruit. I know a lot of people here don't advocate dried fruit due to its high concentration of sugars, but you do what you can when you're out there. I do what I can to take things like avocado from the mess, and veggies. If you don't have any home support to send you stuff like this, then look online when you can for companies that do ship groceries. They do exist!
The only draw back to this, is variety. My last deployment, one of my biggest priorities was grocery shopping. Whenever I could, I would seek out the stores, and grab what I could that would last a long time.
Spices.... get them. It makes the repetition of certain foods better. If you eat the tuna and albacore, get real mayo. There's nothing wrong with it. Its mostly egg anyways. And the fat content is good too.
If you stick to the macro-nutrients and stick to healthy versions of it, the only limits you have, is your creativity. Keep up the education on the boards, and I highly recommend you get the journal subscription. Catching up on some 80 journals will give you something to do anyways. If you can't download them at work, get to a internet cafe, grab a flash drive and get busy.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
Will Nuse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Hodlik View Post
Hey I know exactly what you're going through. Being on a Navy ship, our food is terrible at best. I have to say that the easiest thing for me, was to simply get canned tuna or albacore, or even chicken. LOTS of nuts, and dried fruit. I know a lot of people here don't advocate dried fruit due to its high concentration of sugars, but you do what you can when you're out there. I do what I can to take things like avocado from the mess, and veggies. If you don't have any home support to send you stuff like this, then look online when you can for companies that do ship groceries. They do exist!
The only draw back to this, is variety. My last deployment, one of my biggest priorities was grocery shopping. Whenever I could, I would seek out the stores, and grab what I could that would last a long time.
Spices.... get them. It makes the repetition of certain foods better. If you eat the tuna and albacore, get real mayo. There's nothing wrong with it. Its mostly egg anyways. And the fat content is good too.
If you stick to the macro-nutrients and stick to healthy versions of it, the only limits you have, is your creativity. Keep up the education on the boards, and I highly recommend you get the journal subscription. Catching up on some 80 journals will give you something to do anyways. If you can't download them at work, get to a internet cafe, grab a flash drive and get busy.
I can't complain much compared to life on a ship--we at least get a lot of fresh stuff out here, which is impressive in and of itself. I'll definitely put in a "home order" of mayo, tuna, and chicken, though--great idea. What kind of spices do you usually get? I'm thinking dill (for the tuna) off the top of my head, but I'm sure you've got some other good ideas.

Are there any specific journal issues you'd recommend reading for the nutrition side of things? I've got a subscription but haven't gone through all the back issues yet.

The refined sugars are truly a drug--just gotta stop eating them and give the cookies my mom sends me to my crew...
Old 09-09-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
Laura Kurth

Profile:

hey will, sounds like you are doing great already!

I'm sure just cutting out that daily dessert alone will be enough to yield some weight loss.

Also, I would suggest you cut out the juice. If you are trying to drop fat you shouldn't really be drinking your calories.

other than that, your diet looks pretty solid! good job
Old 09-09-2008, 11:26 AM   #6
Bart Hodlik

Profile:

As far as spices go, I generally get the umm... forget the brand, think Mrs. Dash?? Anyways, I usually get the garlic and herb one, and then recently I picked up a chipotle one. That one's pretty good with the chicken. I just get those because they have a combo of spices, so it takes up less room. But hey, if you've got room go for it.
That was my biggest problem, the lack of fresh foods. The fruit was sometimes the worst. If they got something in fresh, I would load up on it, and keep it for a couple of days. The veggies were always something dumb like iceberg lettuce, which is just disgusting, and tomato's.
I don't think that I gained the most knowledge on nutrition from the journals. The ones about avoiding metabolic derangement, and a couple of others, were the biggest eye openers to me. And those in particular reference more books to keep you busy. But where I learned the most, was from reading posts from people like Jay Cohen, Steve Low, George Munce and a few others.
Think of the cookies and what not that you get, as a way of getting back at the people who irked you all deployment.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #7
Nicholas Brosko

Profile:

i have ate food from KBR as well on deployment and usually ate a meat if it wasn't covered in gravy or BBQ sauce. then a veggie, then i would go to the salad bar and get a slad with tuna and some fruit and maybe one of those little milk containers that can sit out in the sun for weeks and still be good, you know what i'm talking about, if not that then they usually had nuts at the icecream bar. you can eat realitively healthy if you try. good luck and i might be seeing you soon i'm with the 2nd recon in the MC and we are going to afghanistan early next year.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:43 PM   #8
Glenn Beeson

Profile:

Quote:
After my first deployment, finding a market was almost always my first goal in port. The need for 'supplemental food' depending on what command I was with - my first ship, I swear the MS's all had their taste buds shot off in a war. Either that or flavor wasn't on the recipe cards. The cans of tuna and little jars of nutbutter were lifesavers.
Always liked shopping overseas; it reminded me how many choices we have in the states and how I always take it for granted.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:11 PM   #9
Jordan Marks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Nuse View Post
Are there any specific journal issues you'd recommend reading for the nutrition side of things? I've got a subscription but haven't gone through all the back issues yet.
Crossfit Journal issue 21 from May '04 is the official "Zone" issue if you are interested in going that route. It also includes a bunch of zone recipes and food options. :stir:

JM
Old 09-10-2008, 05:09 AM   #10
Will Nuse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Brosko View Post
i have ate food from KBR as well on deployment and usually ate a meat if it wasn't covered in gravy or BBQ sauce. then a veggie, then i would go to the salad bar and get a slad with tuna and some fruit and maybe one of those little milk containers that can sit out in the sun for weeks and still be good, you know what i'm talking about, if not that then they usually had nuts at the icecream bar. you can eat realitively healthy if you try. good luck and i might be seeing you soon i'm with the 2nd recon in the MC and we are going to afghanistan early next year.
Good call on the tuna; I'm going to start eating more of that if I can. Those and the nuts. Funny story: down in Africa, the milk shipment didn't come in for about three weeks or so, and even the milk you're talking about had expired, and all the fridges had "letters from medical" stating that they were still safe to drink... riiiiiight.

My outfit doesn't go to Afghanistan anymore, but who knows? Stranger things have happened. Thanks and stay safe out there.

Quote:
Think of the cookies and what not that you get, as a way of getting back at the people who irked you all deployment.
Yep, I'm a newbie on my crew so this will be sweet revenge. Oh god, that was horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
I'm sure just cutting out that daily dessert alone will be enough to yield some weight loss...If you are trying to drop fat you shouldn't really be drinking your calories.
Done and done. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Marks View Post
Crossfit Journal issue 21 from May '04 is the official "Zone" issue if you are interested in going that route. It also includes a bunch of zone recipes and food options. :stir:

JM
Gotcha--I actually read through that article again yesterday. The meals themselves are less helpful than the good/bad foods and the sizes per block, which should hopefully give me an idea as to how to make this work for myself.

Just a side note: one thing that struck me when I was reading Mastering The Zone was how many of the meals rely on protein powder, which seems pretty artificial, to say nothing of how much I'd trust what's in that stuff in the first place.