CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-27-2014, 09:34 AM   #1
Cooper Mitchell

Profile:
Concept 2 Rower or Ski Erg

I'm looking to purchase either the new Ski Erg or the rower Concept 2 has. I've used the rower extensively, never used a Ski Erg, but I'm not sure which one I should buy for my garage gym. I don't compete in CrossFit, but I train hard and would like to add a conditioning device to my airdyne. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Cooper Mitchell; 10-27-2014 at 10:58 AM..
Old 10-27-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
Jason A Smith

Profile:
Re: Concept 2 Rower or Ski Erg

I would say the rower. Never been on the Ski Erg but it usually piece number 3 that anyone buys. Resale wise the rowers hold up well too.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:29 PM   #3
Cory House

Profile:

I would get a rower. Our gym has both and they both are great machines. You can really punish yourself on either one. The ski is definitely more upper body focused but it's hard for a lot of people to use for extended periods of time (it's a tough movement). What is your goal for the machine? If it is general conditioning stick with the rower.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #4
Cooper Mitchell

Profile:

Cory,

It is general conditioning. I've seen lots of photos and videos of top guys using the ski-erg so I didn't know if there was a possible shift in view on which device is the best for conditioning.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
Cory House

Profile:

Either will work great for general conditioning. I am sure you will be happy with whatever you pick, I'd still say the rower especially if you have experience on it and know you will use it.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #6
Clint Harris

Profile:

I've had a c2 rower for 10+ years (before crossfit). If I were to do it all over again, knowing what I know now, I'd get an airdyne. But you already have one. So, I'd suggest the rower - it's an incredibly boring machine over time, but it is excellent endurance or speed training. Lessens the complexity of trying to work out subs in prescribed workouts. And is invaluable for when you can't run for any reason.
Ski-erg looks neat and all, but I think I'd just the same get a battle-rope or something instead.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
I've had a c2 rower for 10+ years (before crossfit). If I were to do it all over again, knowing what I know now, I'd get an airdyne.
Interesting. Why?

- Mark
Old 10-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #8
Cooper Mitchell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
I've had a c2 rower for 10+ years (before crossfit). If I were to do it all over again, knowing what I know now, I'd get an airdyne. But you already have one. So, I'd suggest the rower - it's an incredibly boring machine over time, but it is excellent endurance or speed training. Lessens the complexity of trying to work out subs in prescribed workouts. And is invaluable for when you can't run for any reason.
Ski-erg looks neat and all, but I think I'd just the same get a battle-rope or something instead.
I appreciate the help. I also find the airdyne to be one of the best conditioning devices I've used.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:54 AM   #9
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Interesting. Why?

- Mark
I have both as well and the AD is a much better torture device. I think it is better for sprints and also for long recovery or aerobic work. I am never sore after using it either. It can bring the lactic acid on way better than the rower because it has no eccentric.

I actually use it more often than my rower now. I really do not care to row. I am light and short
Old 10-29-2014, 12:04 PM   #10
Clint Harris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Interesting. Why?

- Mark
Nothing really scientific and much along the lines of what Jason just said. I just enjoy it more. (that's such a strange thing to say about the AD ... coz it sucks so bad).
It's more like sprinting (give me a shuttle run or 100m repeats any day of the week) and is way less involved (skill/form/focus/boredom wise) than a longer rowing piece.
I typically gravitate to the AD for warming up and cool down. Love to "sprint" on it during a workout - like 30-60s max effort on the thing is pretty brutal - especially since it's so easy to get on/off the transitions are nill.
When I row hard, it's usually not until very late in the piece, or afterwards, that I feel smoked and have to really push to keep going. With the AD, it's almost instantaneously that I have to push to keep going - my lungs and legs are burning the entire time.

There's also a footprint aspect too. My concept2 can be split in half for storage, but it still takes up way more room than a AD does.