CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-23-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
Erin Fox

Profile:
nutritional plan of attack - fat loss for a newbie

Stats:
5í7Ē
33 y/o
Female
182#
112# lbm
35% bf
crossfit 3x/week, plus a gymnastics class and some trail running once a week

Goals:
Lose fat
Get stronger - Iím a newbie, been crossfitting regularly for about 4 months, never been athletic before.

I have a whole list of specific goals with dates such as when I want to be doing things like strict pushups, pull ups, running goals, cft goals, etc if you want to know that stuff too. I realize that ďlose fat and get strongerĒ are usually opposing goals but given the level Iím at I think both are happening and Iím just trying to make sure Iím fueling myself appropriately.

I was paleo/zone for awhile, but the zone part was irritating, so once I got to the point where I could accurately estimate portions, I pretty much dumped the zone. I am pretty strict with the paleo, except for a fair amount of dark chocolate which became my vice when I quit drinking last month in an attempt to focus in on my nutrition/training.

I started logging in on Fitday just over 2 weeks ago: http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...00%40gmail.com

The first week I kept a record I felt really off, felt like I had no strength at all so I tinkered a little (upped my protein) and the second week was much better, and it was basically:
1500cal
Protein: 115g/31%
Carb: 80g/20%
Fat: 82g/49%

In the past month I have lost 2% bf (6#) and put on 1# muscle (one of those analyzers at my chiro office). I am happy with this rate, but of course wondering if I could push it even further, and if so, what I should change in my eating.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
Re: nutritional plan of attack - fat loss for a newbie

1500 calories might just be too little for someone currently 182#, even if you plan on losing weight. But if you feel recovered and are setting PR's in your workouts, then maybe you can continue eating this amount, for now. Use your progress as a gauge. At this newbie level (read, can't do push-ups) you should be seeing strength gains in each and every workout. If you aint seeing them you might not be eating enough.

Your macronutrient ratios look typical for a Paleo diet, I'd say. If you're even close to strict Paleo you should see weight loss and mass gain both happen at the same at this stage, I'd say. I'm no expert but at this novice level it happens. It gets harder once you have more muscle and less fat.

I'd eat a bit more if I were you, as it seems you're working out 4x/week. Just my two cents.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Arturo has a good point. Also, if you were untrained prior to beginning this, your muscle gain and fat loss will be at odds on the scale.

At 4 weeks in you are just getting to the point where your body will be used to burning fat for fuel. Be prepared to feel crappy for a couple of days to one week.

After that you should notice increased rate of fat loss as your metabolism changes gears.

Keep up the good work!

If you still feel the need to push it diet wise. Try dropping the fruit, or at least moving half of your carbs to immediately post wod. There are also some philosophies about consuming all your carbs before noon, but I'm not to familiar with that approach.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin Fox View Post
In the past month I have lost 2% bf (6#) and put on 1# muscle (one of those analyzers at my chiro office). I am happy with this rate, but of course wondering if I could push it even further, and if so, what I should change in my eating.
Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
It looks as if what you are doing is working really well. I'd hate to tinker with success too much.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
Michael Dries

Profile:

Looks like you're on the right track, Just a few items I've found work for me:

STAY paleo. Reduce as many cheats as possible. It seems to make a big difference for me.
Maybe up your protein just a bit if you're feeling hungry but make sure it had a face and heart beat.
Keep away from liquid foods (no protein shakes, etc... coconut milk is fine in moderation).
Keep your carbs to veggies (eat lots of them), minimize the fruit intake until you are at your desired level of leanness. Or keep it to pre/post WOD meals if you feel your wods are suffering.
Don't go nuts over-thinking adding fats to meals. Fat is important but I think a lot of people can derail themselves by upping the fat too much "because they crossfit."
Eat when hungry and to satiety.

Make sure you're getting enough sleep (which is what I should be doing right now). Try your hardest to go to bed and wake up without an alarm. I believe the quote from "lights out: sleep sugar and survival" is something like "get as much sleep as possible without getting fired or divorced."

Lift heavy stuff and try to avoid doing "extra cardio" to push your weight loss, it has a greater possibility of digging yourself into a hole.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:51 AM   #6
Erin Fox

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
1500 calories might just be too little for someone currently 182#, even if you plan on losing weight. But if you feel recovered and are setting PR's in your workouts, then maybe you can continue eating this amount, for now. Use your progress as a gauge.
I was actually pretty surprised at this calorie number, I looked at my daily numbers and had a couple of days over the weekend that to stay paleo I had skipped a couple of meals and that brought down my average considerably. I'm normally around 1700-1800, and at that number I definitely am still hitting PRs all the time. I'll keep a close eye on that and increase if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Allen View Post
If you still feel the need to push it diet wise. Try dropping the fruit, or at least moving half of your carbs to immediately post wod. There are also some philosophies about consuming all your carbs before noon, but I'm not to familiar with that approach.
Yeah once I started tracking my food I cut fruit to mornings only after wods and increased the veggies. Definitely helps me keep carbs under 100g a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
It looks as if what you are doing is working really well. I'd hate to tinker with success too much.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
Looks like you're on the right track, Just a few items I've found work for me:

STAY paleo. ...
Maybe up your protein just a bit if you're feeling hungry ...
Keep away from liquid foods ...
Keep your carbs to veggies (eat lots of them)...

Don't go nuts over-thinking adding fats to meals. Fat is important but I think a lot of people can derail themselves by upping the fat too much "because they crossfit."

Make sure you're getting enough sleep ...
Lift heavy stuff and try to avoid doing "extra cardio" ...
Thanks for all the pointers, I am definitely on top of most of these - appropriate amounts of sleep has made a huge difference!

One of the things I find most interesting about what you posted was the fat intake. That was one of the things I was worried about, since have mostly stopped eating extra nuts and other fats recently. Not for any particular reason, but I was forcing myself to remember to eat them and it just didn't seem necessary since I wasn't hungry. I haven't noticed any adverse affects.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 09-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
Alex McPheters

Profile:

I'm getting up to 3 crossfit workouts a week too, but I've been picking up my jogging too. I'm only at 3.5 miles regularly, but the goal is 8 miles 4-5 times a week on top of crossfit.

The reasoning behind this that might be able to help you too is that beyond the first half hour of running (or most intensive cardio) you've burned through your sugar supply and are burning 90% fat 10% protein. I do this after work towards the end of the day so any discretionary caloric spending *cough cough* gets put to good use. Also, if you start clocking 100 miles in jogging a month (18-24 miles a week, 6 miles every other day) it's very easy to lose weight.

I have a background in running, but I'm 230 myself, so I have to worry about too much intensity too quickly with my running just like I do with my crossfit. Well, actually, with the running, if my joints are saying don't do it! I don't, whereas most of the time in crossfit my body is screaming don't do it I'm going to puke! and do it anyway. I think people here will push the diet aspects really hard here, which are important, but if your body becomes a non-stop furnace for burning calories, there was a point where I was eating veal cheeseburgers for dinner and still losing weight.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex McPheters View Post
I'm getting up to 3 crossfit workouts a week too, but I've been picking up my jogging too. I'm only at 3.5 miles regularly, but the goal is 8 miles 4-5 times a week on top of crossfit.

The reasoning behind this that might be able to help you too is that beyond the first half hour of running (or most intensive cardio) you've burned through your sugar supply and are burning 90% fat 10% protein. I do this after work towards the end of the day so any discretionary caloric spending *cough cough* gets put to good use. Also, if you start clocking 100 miles in jogging a month (18-24 miles a week, 6 miles every other day) it's very easy to lose weight.

I have a background in running, but I'm 230 myself, so I have to worry about too much intensity too quickly with my running just like I do with my crossfit. Well, actually, with the running, if my joints are saying don't do it! I don't, whereas most of the time in crossfit my body is screaming don't do it I'm going to puke! and do it anyway. I think people here will push the diet aspects really hard here, which are important, but if your body becomes a non-stop furnace for burning calories, there was a point where I was eating veal cheeseburgers for dinner and still losing weight.

Or, this.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/case-against-cardio/ WFS

Adding another 1-1.5 hours of medium intensity "cardio" activity on top of 4x/week Crossfit work outs is not the best way to burn more fat. At best, it can lead to joint injuries, at worst, it's the quick path to being overtrained and stalling on all of your strength gains. How were you measuring your weight loss, out of curiousity?

Erin, I'll reiterate what others have said here. Body comp is roughly 80% what you eat and 20% what you do. Yes, working out for hours and hours every day WILL lead to weight loss (including muscle loss and bone loss) - it's so much easier (and takes up less time) to just tweak your nutrition.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #9
Erin Fox

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Waldeck View Post
Or, this.
How were you measuring your weight loss, out of curiousity?
A couple of months ago I did the couch to 5k program, just to get a baseline ability to run more than you know, 8 consecutive seconds. Other than that I find running and other chronic cardio insanely boring and would never subject myself to them voluntarily. I actually enjoy the short trail runs (less than 5k usually) that's why I do them once a week-ish.

The weight loss was measured 4 weeks apart at my chiropractors office on a body composition analysis scale. Typical bioelectrical impedance thing. I don't regularly weigh myself although I knew I was losing weight due to the change in the way my clothing fits. Or is not fitting, as the case may be. (yay)
Old 09-24-2010, 01:02 PM   #10
Brian Bedell

Profile:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...-fat-loss.html

wfs

I thought this might be a good article relevant to this thread.