CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
Alex McPheters

Profile:
Canned Salmon

I saw an article in Runner's World last month that said canned salmon had all the benefits of canned tuna without the mercury, but just looking at the nutrition facts, but if:

a large can of salmon has 7 x 2.2. oz. servings of salmon,
and each serving has 12 g of protein,

aren't I ingesting more protein than my body can absorb if I go beyond 2 servings?

4.4. oz.s is enough for 2 crackers worth of salmon right? Don't need to put extra strain on my kidneys (or waste good protein and fats). Does anyone else have a similar problem?
Old 09-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
Steven Chicoine

Profile:
Re: Canned Salmon

The idea of getting small amounts of protein throughout the whole day because you can only absorb so much at one meal is starting to be debunked like the theories of eat 8 times a day to stoke your metabolism. I would eat enough to where you are not hungry (make sure you eat the skin and bones too)
Old 09-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

There is no truth to the myth that excess protein causes kidney issues, unless you have preexisting kidney problems. And I don't know what you mean about wasting good protein or fat...where have you heard that?

Eating large amounts at one time then going a prolonged period of time (a la IF) is what humans and pretty much every other animal did back before there was refrigeration and reliable food stores on hand at all time. If that didn't allow for survival we would have gone extinct a long time ago. I doubt a caveman who speared a mammoth limited himself to no more than 40g of protein at a time.

If you're going to eat canned salmon make sure it's wild, not farmed.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
There is no truth to the myth that excess protein causes kidney issues, unless you have preexisting kidney problems. And I don't know what you mean about wasting good protein or fat...where have you heard that?

Eating large amounts at one time then going a prolonged period of time (a la IF) is what humans and pretty much every other animal did back before there was refrigeration and reliable food stores on hand at all time. If that didn't allow for survival we would have gone extinct a long time ago. I doubt a caveman who speared a mammoth limited himself to no more than 40g of protein at a time.

If you're going to eat canned salmon make sure it's wild, not farmed.
Why is that??
Old 09-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
Jon Thorland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Kruhlik View Post
Why is that??
It's the ratios of Omega3 acids to Omega6. Wild salmon has much greater amounts of Omega3 acids than farmed salmon.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Kruhlik View Post
Why is that??
For the same reasons that grassfed beef is better than feedlot beef. Wild salmon eat a natural diet rather than the soy/corn/miscellaneous animal parts diet that farmed salmon eat, and they aren't raised and fattened as quickly as possible.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:52 AM   #7
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
There is no truth to the myth that excess protein causes kidney issues, unless you have preexisting kidney problems.
Wasn't that whole myth based on a study done on rabbits? I'd imagine that, were we herbivores, excess meat would in fact cause kidney issues....
Old 09-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
Lisa Jeansonne Johnston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Mullens View Post
Wasn't that whole myth based on a study done on rabbits? I'd imagine that, were we herbivores, excess meat would in fact cause kidney issues....

Old 09-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Mullens View Post
Kidding, right?