CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-19-2008, 10:49 AM   #1
Doug Blankenship

Profile:
Simple CF Noob Question

Hello everyone,
I will get to the point, I have been doing "The Pit Workout" all three of them for six months now and have dropped 80# while doing those three workouts. I also have "The Pit Workout/CrossPit" dvd and have included those workouts into my days as well. These besides ride my MTB 20 to 30 miles every two days is all I have been doing.

Here is where I think I'm really screwing up, if you have seen both of those dvd's there is basically five different workouts total. I rotate those workouts and do a different one every day. I do not take a day off and workout seven days a week, should I be resting at least one day a week?

My goals are to get ready for a Police academy and I want to breeze threw there PT's cycle's and be as ready as one can be.

I know this is a super noob question regarding rest but I have to ask and see if there is anything you guys can suggest for me to do regarding PT for a police academy?

I was in the military eight years ago but I have a feeling the academy will be tougher. I'm 27/5'11" and am now weighing in at 248. I was at 332, but any help would be great and I will read as much as I can and search to try and answer my own questions but I wanted to see what you guys think about my schedule and what I can do for an upcoming police academy.

Thank you for the replies way in advance.

Doug
Old 02-19-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: Simple CF Noob Question

From what I've read about local departments' PT tests (I also have a friend who recently graduated from academy), the military versions -- though I guess it depends on what branch -- seem a bit more demanding.

To me it sounds like cutting down on the fat needs to be your first priority, because it will only hinder your performance in the other areas.

Without a doubt you should be resting, particularly if you're going to be trying to improve sit-ups, push-ups and pull-ups.

3-on 1-off has worked great for me, but now I'm doing something closer to 5 on (M-F) and then Sat/Sun off.

You should also be getting 8 hours of sleep per night, eating right, and drinking plenty of water. Check out the Zone diet (and read everything in the Nutrition forums) for your fat loss goals. Even if you don't stay on it forever, it will help you tremendously in the interim.

As for training specifically for the PT test -- best option might be to Grease the Groove or do some HIIT instead of CrossFit, depending on how rapidly you need your numbers to go up. If you have some time ahead of you, then definitely get into the front page WODs, as they prepare you very well on an overall fitness level.

Having 5 diff workouts with CrossPit is good, but I think you'll get more variety and more gains overall if you do CrossFit, but whatever works for you. Getting the fat down is going to be mostly a result of your diet, and not your workout, so don't let that bother you too much.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Fuller View Post
From what I've read about local departments' PT tests (I also have a friend who recently graduated from academy), the military versions -- though I guess it depends on what branch -- seem a bit more demanding.

To me it sounds like cutting down on the fat needs to be your first priority, because it will only hinder your performance in the other areas.

Without a doubt you should be resting, particularly if you're going to be trying to improve sit-ups, push-ups and pull-ups.

3-on 1-off has worked great for me, but now I'm doing something closer to 5 on (M-F) and then Sat/Sun off.

You should also be getting 8 hours of sleep per night, eating right, and drinking plenty of water. Check out the Zone diet (and read everything in the Nutrition forums) for your fat loss goals. Even if you don't stay on it forever, it will help you tremendously in the interim.

As for training specifically for the PT test -- best option might be to Grease the Groove or do some HIIT instead of CrossFit, depending on how rapidly you need your numbers to go up. If you have some time ahead of you, then definitely get into the front page WODs, as they prepare you very well on an overall fitness level.

Having 5 diff workouts with CrossPit is good, but I think you'll get more variety and more gains overall if you do CrossFit, but whatever works for you. Getting the fat down is going to be mostly a result of your diet, and not your workout, so don't let that bother you too much.
Hello Elliot,
I was in the Air Force and frankly all I did to train for BT was simply run, run and run some more.

My diet now is really close to the Paleolithic Diet which I had never herd of till I started reading the CF website. But after reading about the Paleo diet, I'm in that ball park but not dead on with there routine.

So far I have lost all my weight via "no sugar, no carb's/low carbs" type diet. I'm going to order some of the books on the zone diet and read more into there protocol.

As for 3 on 1 off, I figured that was the case and I should be doing something to that effect but I feel like I'm cheating myself if I take a day off. I will change that and start doing what you suggest above.

Regarding the HIIT and Grease the Groove I have never herd of those but I will google them and search the CF website.

"Getting The Fat Down" is something that has confused me as of late. Reason is that when I started the diet and workouts the weight just fell off and then I hit 260 and then I started losing weight really slow.

Certian parts of my body show more definition and muscle building around the shoulders, chest, forearms, arms and legs but that tire around my stomach is shrinking just not as fast.

I have read that muscle is denser than fat and could weigh more which is fine so hopefully that is what my body is starting to go threw.

Thank you for the information and if anyone else has anything else to add please do.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Nice job losing that much weight. One day a week off would be good because then your body gets a day to rest and rebuild. 3 on 1 off is good also like the other guy said. My suggestion is to look at the police PT test and work specifically on what you need to improve upon to better your PT test scores. Maybe do it like ME blackbox and work on PT test specific exercises every 2nd day or something.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:51 AM   #5
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lopez-Ota View Post
Nice job losing that much weight. One day a week off would be good because then your body gets a day to rest and rebuild. 3 on 1 off is good also like the other guy said. My suggestion is to look at the police PT test and work specifically on what you need to improve upon to better your PT test scores. Maybe do it like ME blackbox and work on PT test specific exercises every 2nd day or something.
The department out here (LVMPD) provides a 12 week layout with everything you should do, day by day and week by week they really couldn't of made it any easier for anyone.

I like the suggestion of doing there PT every second day and then roatating back into the other CF/CrossPit workouts. When looking over there program it seems they have a Tabata system working for them or something to that effect.

Jason thanks for the feed back.