CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-30-2006, 06:09 PM   #1
Owen Graham

Profile:
Found some Kraiburg bumpers on Amazon that have free shipping... I haven't compared the prices yet, but if you need a couple pairs, this might be worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search.html...Direct%20Fitnehttp://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/19151.jpg
Old 01-30-2006, 09:27 PM   #2
Rob McBee

Profile:
Hey Owen,

Thanks for posting that link. Is that a good brand as well because those are the best prices I've seen so far. Might just order some 35 pounders(if the wife gives me permission of course).
Old 01-30-2006, 10:08 PM   #3
Bret Parkhill

Profile:
It looks like they may still charge shipping for oversize or overweight items. Pretty good prices though.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:58 AM   #4
James Falkner

Profile:
The 45lb prices ($158) are higher than BFS ($139). But I followed the "buy me" process on amazon.com all the way to the last page, and.. get this.. FREE SHIPPING (to continental US)! That's a pretty good deal.. I think BFS wants like $60 for shipping.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:08 AM   #5
Owen Graham

Profile:
Yep James, I did the same thing. Went to checkout (all but bought them-have to tell/ask the wife first) and shipping total was $0.00.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:39 AM   #6
Clay Jones

Profile:

Too bad they don't have bumpers in kilos . . .:sad:
Old 02-01-2006, 02:10 PM   #8
Paul Findley

Profile:
Those look like RB/Chapman style. From what I can tell, Kraiburg is a rubber company (the raw material). In the other thread there was talk of the "old style fat kraiburgs"...I suspect it is the same mold with Kraiburg rubber, who the hell knows for sure.

Here is a link I found to what appear to be "new style" kraiburgs with free shipping.

Bumper Madness

Look at that tasty KG set.

From looking at web pictures of home-use bumpers, it seems you have your HI-TEMP mold, your RB/Chapman mold both using recycled rubber and your Newstyle Kraiburg/BFS/"premium"/lowend York/Cheap Ivanko mold using virgin rubber. Then you throw in your VTX splitters, then the rubber band CAP/Hampton style. I cannot see the forest for the bumpers, its a jungle out there!

Free shipping seems to be the real price differentiator, once you pick which "style" you like.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:02 PM   #9
Clay Jones

Profile:

Here is the scoop on Kraiburg.

Old style Kraiburgs were HUGE-- a 45 lb plate was 7 or 8" thick, if I remember correctly. the 45's, 35's, and 25's had the same diameter--17-1/2"--but the 10 lbs were something like 12" in diameter. The reason they were so huge is that the rubber was not as dense.

New style Kraiburgs use virgin rubber, use a different mold, and are slightly narrower then the Chapmans, according to Scott at BS oly.

There are actually several Kraiburg manufacturing facilities in Austria and Germany, making everything from retreading equipment to gym flooring.

If you are going to lift a lot and maybe compete, buy the Eleiko/Leoko/Uesaba plates. otherwise, the recycled "michelin man" bumpers are just fine. I'd buy Cahpmans, but only because I like Mike Chapman's 20 kg bar so much . . .
Old 02-01-2006, 06:34 PM   #10
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Even if you compete, recycled rubber bumpers do the job quite well for less $$.