CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-25-2005, 08:50 PM   #1
Matthew Maxwell

Profile:  
Merry christmas folks.

Right my first post so please forgive me if i make any forum errors, as i am in need of some pointers.

I used to be, and i say loosely used to, a very fit man. However, in the last six years i have let myself go and put on a bit of weight i now need to shift.

None of the exercises really daunt me as i was more than able to try them six years back, but now i just lack motivation to try.

Im 5ft 8 and weigh 13.8 stones. Id like to get fit again and was wondering if you good people could give me some tips on motivating myself.

I have the ocean on my doorstep, rolling hills behind my home and many opportunities to get out and train, but i just cant get the desire up to train and lose the weight.

Sad thing is i do want to do but the work puts me off. Im lazy yes, but im also in need to work it off, any help would be gratefully appreciated.

I know once the training bug kicks in i will stick at it, but its the initial stage.

Thank you
Old 12-25-2005, 09:18 PM   #2
Skip Chase

Profile:
Welcome, Matthew. First, I do not have any idea what 13.8 stones weigh. I read your post several times...."i just lack motivation"..."i just can't get the desire up to train and lose weight.""Sad thing is i do want to do but the work puts me off. Im lazy yes, but im also in need to work it off, any help would be appreciated."

Hmmmm...it sounds like you are seeking 'pen-pal' motivation.....I have to ask you, why are you researching fitness web sites? The first step is totally up to you...you must have a reason to change. Health, quality of life, career advancement, self esteem/image improvement, desire to compete, impending event. In my opinion, your reason must be more than a desire to find a 'training bug' as you say.

After you find a reason, you can take the next step to find a friend(s) to train with. Perhaps you live close to a CF affiliate in the UK.

Old 12-25-2005, 09:54 PM   #3
Gary Jackson

Profile:
Well, that's about 193 pounds or 88 kilos. Not terribly heavy, but I am assuming you are talking about body composition. I have to agree with Skip. External motivation is fruitless. The desire to change has to come from inside of you. I hope you can find the resolve to make yourself better through Crossfit, but mostly I hope you find the will to change. Good luck.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:59 PM   #4
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Training partner. You need someone to kick you in your 13.8 stone butt and get you moving. You need a training log/diary with stated goals with a general outline as to how you want to get there. You need to get on the Zone diet and start shedding pounds and as you see results and ease into the workouts you will become more and more motivated to improve. You need to get to a CrossFit gym and watch what the properly trained human body can do and look in amazement as people twice your age effortlessly do what you cannot now do. If you wait to long you will get fatter, watch too much TV, develop diabetes and heart disease and die miserably. I suggest you get started right now.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:07 AM   #5
Matthew Maxwell

Profile:  
Well thank you folks for the advice.

I guess its because i had a cracking physique six years ago, met a woman, had a kid and bam!! i have a tyre round my waistline.

Still i get what everyone is saying and appreciate your words.

However, i came here because this is the standard i DO aspire to. I DO want to use this form of exercise and fitness because its the level when i get to it i will thrive at.

I have had a very good look at this site and also been massively impressed by what it has to offer.
It was also recommended to me a member who has reaped the rewards of the site to the level that i am in envy of his physique.

So i am here to get the ball rolling and i am here to do what Eugene R Allen has hollered at me to do.

Thanks folks, motivation is risen already 25%...lets see how much further my inner self can push on.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:45 PM   #6
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Matthew - Yesssss (with fists curled and pumping from overhead to waist) only 75% to go. I wasn't hollering Matt, I was merely...ummm, writing loudly. OK, I was hollering, it is my way and was seen for what it was even in print. I hope my approach is not to off-putting, but it is important to start. Ready - Fire - Aim. In this case you are better off doing rather than thinking about doing. No paralysis by analysis. The first and most important step in an daring do is to simply begin. You said yourself that you need simply for the training bug to kick in and you make that happen by getting started.

Let's start with some Tabata Squats. The Tabata protocol is 20 seconds on and 10 seconds off for 8 reps which is 2:40 of work and 1:20 of rest over a 4 minute exercise set. Doesn't sound like much but it is brutal. Scoring is the minimum number of reps you do over the course of the 8 efforts. If you do 14 for every set but drop to 12 on the last one, your score is 12.

Let's say your knees will tolerate a full butt to heels squat and that you have no other limitations that would prevent you from doing a full squat. If soreness doesn't bother you and you don't mind having a hitch in your git along for a day or two go for all 8. If you worry that you are too de-tuned to tolerate the workload drop it to 6. Don't do less than 6 sets. You should squat fully with a straight back, weight on the heels, head and eyes up with your arms extended in front of you for balance. Stand facing a clock with a second hand and begin on the 12. Go to a full squat, stand up and repeat this for as many as you can do in the 20 tics of the clock. At 20 seconds after stop and rest in the standing postion, starting again at 30 seconds after. Do this for at least 6 sets, 8 if you're really feeling your oats. Stay in double digits. A score over 12 is a good start.

This Tabata protocal can be applied to pushups, pullups, situps, box jumps...whatever you want. Here's some notes from the last seminar to fill you in more completely about CrossFit.

First do the squats, then read the notes.

Last edited by Eugene R. Allen; 10-02-2007 at 08:42 PM..
Old 12-26-2005, 02:44 PM   #7
Matthew Maxwell

Profile:  
Eugene

You are a star and what you said in you orginal text was motivational. I will however, show ignorance and state that i have never heard of the squat you have so kindly described to me. I shall give the squats ago and see what kind of score i get. My legs are pretty powerful, its the cardio work i need to work on and to get rid of the heavy legs when i run. I can run 200m and the acid is building up badly. Thats my problem, because i used to run wonderfully.
Upper body wise i have a stocky build, potential for excellent muscle gain. The tummy area is the concern, a 34" waist is not good needs to be down to 32". My tummy is the problem and my nutrional abuse is bad. I have no idea what I am doing when I eat, its a mess. I eat wrong, I exercise wrong, I eat far too many carbs and dont burn them off, and I eat too often late and before bed.

Anyway enough waffling, I know what I must do, I must focus, and when I go back to work on Jan 3rd, I will start the next chapter of my caring for the body lifestyle. My body is 33 years old, its in need of a service and some care.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:27 PM   #8
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Taking your waist from 34 to 32 will be no problem. It sounds as though you are coming from a strength background with a need to develop your cardio vascular and cardio respiratory systems. Perfect, you are are exactly the kind of person CrossFit works best for. You recognize your shortfalls in how/what you are eating and that is a huge step. Of course the more important step is to change that. Shop on the periphery of the store and stay away from white things...white bread, white rice, sugar, white flour and so on. Oh, pasta...a side dish now, an aside in your meal not the main dish. YOU are responsible for these changes Matt, we can only guide you and show you the path.

OK powerful guy. Knock out the Tabata Squats noting that these are top to top Tabata Squats and that Annie Sakamoto's best score in this is 27. I can't get 27 on a bet with a gun to my head...that's her lowest score over 8 runs. You will be sucking wind at the end of this but just as wonderfully, your legs will be on fire...and that's with just your bodyweight as resistance. Just be happy you are not starting off with bottom to bottom Tabata Squats...we'll save that for later.

Welcome aboard Matthew...now get squatting.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:11 PM   #9
Matthew Maxwell

Profile:  
I know this is going to sound thick but can you explain to me what Tabata Squats are and how i do them

Im not Homer Simpson, just i have never heard them called that before.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:32 PM   #10
Bart Jones

Profile:

Vision without action is a daydream, Action without vision is a nightmare (Someone much smarter than me said that). So do what Eugene said and just get started. Luckily for all of us, the great people of crossfit have posted their vision for free. And trust me it is an effective one. So try the workouts of the day and refer to the forums if you need to clarify anything. When I first started, I was hurting and thought about giving up. I just kept telling myself that it would get easier eventually. Did it? Well, no. But what did happen is I started to like the workouts and pushed myself harder. I learned to love the funny looks in the gym and felt a real sense of accomplishment after a bout with "Fran" or "Diane." Give it a couple of months and you will notice a real difference. You will probably even look forward to the workouts. Just my 2 cents.