CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-19-2006, 09:48 AM   #1
John Elstad

Profile:
I'm looking for a set of bumper plates and a bar. I've narrowed my search down to BFS's 260# set w/ super bar for $737 shipped or York's 230# set (no 15# plates) and 7' bar with needle bearings for $723 shipped (through Allison Foreman). What are your thoughts? Is York quality sufficiently better to offset the lack of 15# plates? Is there another combination I should consider? I considered Kraiburg, but Scott at BS told me they've had a lot of quality control problems lately.

I'm looking for something that's going to last a long time and that I won't outgrow. I welcome all helpful opinions.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:15 PM   #2
Rob McBee

Profile:
$737 from BFS looks pretty good considering that includes the bar and shipping costs. BFS' rep on quality is good too. I got a bar from them for X-mas last year for $100(regularly $150) and its been a great piece of equipment.

I got a pair of 25# bumpers thru amazon.com with no shipping either. They are Kraiburgs but the quality looks fine, as good as the set I have from BFS. I have a pair of 45#ers on order. The lack of shipping charges is a real help.

I think the therubberman.com site has the full bumper set(also Kraiburg) for $550 and I believe you get a 20% Crossfit discount. The shipping might 'eat your lunch' economically though.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:47 PM   #3
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Pendlay Budget Weightlifting Set $699.00 shipping included in the Continental US:

Includes the lifetime guaranteed Pendlay bar and 2ea 20k, 15k, and 10k bumpers. 90Kg (198lbs)

http://store.wfwclub.com/ulbuse.html

The BFS super bars are crap if you are going to be doing any O-Lifts! Alison apparently is awesome to deal with. I would say the same for Glenn Pendlay. The York kit sounds very good, and is generally great stuff.

The cost differential ordering from Glenn is just that much better. I would scrap the BFS idea and go with either York or Pendlay. Just my opinion!
Old 12-19-2006, 02:11 PM   #4
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
I would agree. Go with York or Pendlay.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:28 PM   #5
Dwayne Holloway

Profile:
Pendlay.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:16 PM   #6
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
If I might add someting here... my price on my crossfit set is coming down a bit either tonight or tomorrow when I get the time to calculate some things and work on the website. Expect it to be around $499 or $509 including shipping, instead of the current $559. The reason is to reflect the slightly better freight rates I am currently getting. This is a pair of 10kg, pair of 15kg, and pair of 20kg bumpers and a Crossfit bar.

I also plan to offer this set with my new Economy weightlifting bar, which is somewhere in between the crossfit bar and the Pendlay weightlifting bar in quality. Expect this set to cost $559 including shipping.

And of course if you want a really, really nice bar, I sell the set with the Pendlay bar for $699 which includes shipping.

And of course, anyone buying a set from me has the option to order pound denominated plates, and get 25lb plates instead of 10kg, 35lb plates instead of 15kg, etc.

Also, if anyone would like to call me (940 224 9841) I am always happy to make up a custom set of whatever bar and plates you want and give you a quote on it. I generally like to talk to people before they buy a bar from me anyway if it is possible, just to make sure they get the bar they really need and one they will be happy with.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:42 PM   #7
Sam Michaud

Profile:
John,

I'll throw my 2 cents here too:

I recently bought a set of York SRTBs from Allison. While I am no expert on the equipment, I can say that I am very pleased with the quality and it appears (from my untrained eye) to be superior to a couple of other brands that I have seen (I'm not going to mention brands). But the real deal maker, in my opinion, is York's superb customer support. Buy from Allison and I don't think you'll ever have to worry about being left out in the cold if something goes wrong. My only regret (and one that I will remedy as soon as my finances allow) is that I didn't buy the 25K SRTBs (I opted for the 10,15, and 20s which I am already starting to outgrow on some lifts).

I also have one of Glenn's Crossfit bars and I think it is an exceptional value. While I have no experience with the really high end bars, I have lots of experience with the "Acme" big box gym bars and I can tell you that the Crossfit bar is a huge improvement over them. So I am sure that his higher end bars are every bit as good as their reputation suggests they are. And, as you can see, Glenn is a an active supporter of the community.

So, while I am no expert, I can at least tell you that I am very happy with both my Pendlay and York products.

Sam
Old 12-19-2006, 08:33 PM   #8
John Elstad

Profile:
Thanks, everyone, for the great advice. I just got off the phone with Glenn Pendlay, who is clearly passionate about lifting and building a superior product. I decided to get his Budget Set. He even offered to stagger delivery of the weights and bar so that they arrive just after I move into my new place. Anyway, thanks again!
Old 12-21-2006, 11:44 AM   #9
Owen Graham

Profile:
The Rubber Man has a great combo special as well:

Limited Time Offer - Get a full set of black rubber weight plates, (2)10lbs, (2)15lbs, (2)25lbs, (2)35lbs, (2)45lbs DELIVERED anywhere in the continental US for $550.

I know he also offers 20% off, but that may not be for the combo special. The Kraiburg bumpers are top notch and only differ from Yorks by the name on the plate.