CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 05-17-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
Maiko Davidson

Profile:
Maiko's Marvelous Misadventures: Workout and Nutrition Log

First entry in my workout & nutrition log, which probably won't be "marvelous" but "Maiko's Misadventures" was just too bland and I couldn't really think of any other good M words (manic, masochistic, machisto, magical, etc). I had set out some goals to reach by the end of the summer and felt that posting my goals and progress here would be beneficial. Start date is tomorrow.

Background: I started going to Crossfit DC on May 7, 2006. After my Level 1 Cert & the Mid-Atlantic Qualifiers in April, I started going mostly off the mainsite. I'm finding a lot of weak links, particularly with high-rep work.

Current Stats:

Height: 5ft nothing
Weight: 125# as of Sunday morning

Workouts:

Fran: 8:15mins as rx'd(4/11/2009)
Cindy: 12~13 rounds (5/14/2009) *stop watch was acting wonky and I didn't notice until I was on round 14*
Grace: 5:26mins scaled to 80# (5/10/2009)
Elizabeth: 6:30min scaled to 70# (5/03/2009)
Diane: 11:14min @ 155#. Used an abmat to measure depth on HSPUs (5/17/2009)
Helen: 10:44min as rx'd (5/31/2008)
FGB: 259 (11/11/2008)

Back Squat: 155#x5
Front Squat: 115# (haven't tested this in ages)
Deadlift: 215#x3
Strict Press: 75#x1
C&J: 110#
Kipping Pull-ups: 22
Deadhang: 5
500m Row: 1:58min
2k Row: 9:06min
400m Run: running makes Maiko sad =(
Mile run: see above

GOALS

Goal 1: Improve my mid-line stabilization using Overhead Squats, Turkish Get-ups, L-sits, etc etc.

Deadline: To mark my progress I'm going to use the Overhead Squat. By the end of summer, or specifically by the Labor Day weekend, I would like to be able to handle 65# OHS with the ease I saw with some of the competitors at the Mid-Atlantic Qualifiers. That means I should be able to knock out 21 reps @ 65# relatively painlessly.

Goal 2: Pop my muscle-up cherry

Deadline: END OF JUNE. I'm SO close to getting a muscle-up. The only problem I see right now is that I'm weak at dips. I foresee a lot of ring dip work in the next month.

Goal 3: String more Double Unders together using my new short-people rope.

Deadline: I want to be able to string 25 regularly by the end of August. Apparently my wrists are very fast, I'm just not jumping high enough. So far I got 5 with this new rope. 20 more to go!

Goal 4: 30 Consecutive Kipping Pull-ups

Deadline: October. Taking my time with this one. I really suck at high-rep stuff, but the pull-ups nag me more than some other things (minus double unders though). I think 30 is a nice number to aim for for now.

**BONUS** I'd like to get comfortable with Chest-to-Bar pull-ups. Hard to do at my current gym, but I'll have to keep at it!

Goal 5: 8:40min 2k Row

Deadline: August.

For the 2k row event at the Mid-Atlantic Qualifiers I didn't think I could get under 10mins but I finished just 6 seconds over 9minutes. I think if I work on my form and go for broke at 500m or even 250m instead of ~150m I should be able to get my time under 9minutes. My being 5ft will be a disadvantage of course, but that didn't stop me from getting a sub-2min 500m row and it won't stop me from getting 8:40min for the 2k. I may not get it that soon, but I'm going to try hard to get it by the deadline.

Goal 6: Lose some fat.

Deadline: End of July

I'm not sure about precisely how much I want to lose to be honest, but I do want to lose some poundage. Based on some calculations back when I had my bodyfat measured, it looks like my LBM is 98#. For now, I'm going to aim for getting down to 110#, but If I start feeling like crap I'll just stick with 115#. I'm losing weight for performance reasons more so than aesthetic ones. If my energy goes to **** then it's not worth it.

Sucks that I'm so addicted to food though...

Goal 7: 240# Deadlift

Deadline: Labor Day Weekend

When I think of Deadlifts I cannot help but think of the Deadlift/Double Under workout at the Qualifiers. While I managed with the prescribed weight, I can be stronger. With my recent PR of 215#x3, I think with regular work I can get 240# by September.

First up...THAT DAMN MUSCLE UP and losing some poundage.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
Maiko Davidson

Profile:
Re: Maiko's Marvelous Misadventures: Workout and Nutrition Log

Oh snap, forgot something. I'd like to attend the next local Olympic lifting developmental meet. I need to work on keeping the bar close to my body (open hips fully, keep elbows up, up, up when pulling, etc). Promised someone I'd go!
Old 05-18-2009, 06:35 AM   #3
Maiko Davidson

Profile:

No way I was going to do bench presses when I've only done them once in my lifetime. Plus I had plans already - Karen and I did one of the Norcal Qualifier workouts.

Warm-up: Dynamic stretching, 2 rounds of 10 squats, push-ups, & sit-ups

*note to self: either come up with a better warm-up or stick with the official CF warm-up*

Workout: Complete for time
500m Row
30 Burpees
10 Overhead Anyhow (push presses for me) *rx'd weight for ladies is 95#*

Time: 8:21mins

I finished the row in 2:03mins which was a mistake because I was fairly gassed by the time I started the burpees. Next time I'll go at a 2:10 ~ 2:15 pace. Burpees were done in 6 sets of 5 which felt pathetic. Then I couldn't power clean the bar after the burpees so I used two 35# dumbbells instead. I think in retrospect I should have had the weight set to 80# right off the bat, but I've cleaned 95# before so I thought it wouldn't be too bad. Oh well, you live and learn!

No skill work today but tomorrow I plan on working on some muscle-up progressions after the workout.

For the cool down I did some foam rolling and static stretching.

Food: Only had my Prozone Shake plus some fish oil & vitamin D this morning. It should have been 4blks since I used two cups of milk, but man I wish I could pack some eggs and bacon instead! I will be having real breakfast tomorrow morning and I'm really looking forward to it!!

Will post the rest of my food log tonight!
Old 05-19-2009, 06:24 AM   #4
Maiko Davidson

Profile:

I had a raging headache most of the day yesterday and was very sleepy. I opted for sleep instead of going out and finding some free wifi to post the rest of my food log for Monday.

Monday - May 18, 2009
8:30am - 4blk Prozone Shake (using 2% reduced, lactose free milk)
11:50am - 3oz chicken patty (ground chicken, green onions, salt, ginger juice, < 1/4tsp arrowroot starch); sauteed lettuce & onions mixed with ginger juice and sesame oil; ~15 almonds
1:30pm - Snack Mix: ~1oz Turkey Jerky, 1TBS dried cranberries, 1.5TBS mixed nuts
4:30pm - Snack Mix (see above)

Went to bed at 6:30pm for a nap. Woke up around 7:15pm and decided to call it a day at that point.

Tuesday - May 19, 2009

6:15am - 1 serving of Oikos Vanilla flavored yogurt, 2 slices of bacon, 1 cup of strawberries, & ~15 almonds.

That was the last bit of yogurt in my apartment and I was curious to see how my stomach would handle it. I had an h. pylori infection for a few months and finished my 14day treatment a little over a week ago. Ever since the whole thing my stomach doesn't handle some things very well and I'm still figure out what those things are. So far it doesn't like bananas, and it goes back and forth on yogurt. Today the yogurt made me want to vomit. So...no more yogurt!! That's hurting me more than my medical bills...*sobs*

I'll be working out tonight so no entries until tomorrow morning!

PS - I noticed on my first entry I forgot to mentioned that I scaled the ring dips on Elizabeth too. I used bar dips and no multipliers since I really suck at dips. Next time I'll stick with negatives on the rings.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:53 AM   #5
Maiko Davidson

Profile:

Tuesday - May 19, 2009

6:15am - 1 serving of Oikos Vanilla flavored yogurt, 2 slices of bacon, 1 cup of strawberries, & ~15 almonds.
10am - 2blk Paleo kit
12:30pm - Chicken patty, broccoli, 1c. strawberries, and ~15 nuts.
3:40pm - Snack: ~1oz Turkey Jerky, 1TBS dried cranberries, 1.5TBS mixed nuts
9:45pm - 1c. milk, ~1/2TBS sunbutter

I'm starting to realize that I don't get nearly enough carbs from veggies. Since I'm giving up yogurt I guess I can replace that with some veggies.

I never really got over the effects of the yogurt yesterday morning, so I downed some milk before I went to bed. That usually takes care of any problems and it did. Feeling a little pukey this morning but I know it's completely mental. Oh, and sunbutter is the ****. I love me some sunbutter!!

WORKOUT

Yesterday was just a skill session for me.

Warm-up: 1000m row in 4:27mins

Skill Work: The Second Pull!

I'm not very good at keeping the bar close to my body during the second pull of the snatch or clean. Nope. Devoted some time to working on that yesterday.

Did some shoulder dislocates and then worked on the dip, shrug, and pull (elbows high & outside) with the PVC before doing...

10 reps w/ PVC
5 reps @ 15# for ~5x
5 reps @ 35# for ~3-5x
3 reps @ 65# for ~5-8x
3 reps at 75# for ~3-5x
3 reps @ 85# for ~3x

I worked from the hang position until I bumped the weight up to 65#, then I started pulling from the floor. My form felt more solid once the weight got heavier (75# & 85#). Then Tom Brose gave me some pointers regarding my starting position that helped a lot. Definitely felt like I made progress in one session. Next Oly lift skill session with either be working with the OHS or the Front Squat.

Skill Work 2: Ring Dips

I didn't devote too much time to this. I knocked off a few sets of 3 reps and then got impatient and tried to get a muscle-up, LOL. Yeah, I'll need to be more patient - clearly the one thing that's really holding me back is my ring dips. They're not nearly as strong as they once were. Let's see if I can throw in a few sets of 3 every other workout for the next few weeks.

Wednesday - May 20, 2009

Today is a rest day!!! I only have a half day at work and then I'm taking the rest of the week off! I'm going to try to keep things under control as much as possible in regards to food. Speaking of food...

6:15am - 4blk Prozone Shake, ~1/2TBS sunbutter
7:30am - 1c. Hibiscus Mint tea

Yeah, wasn't feeling solid food this morning. Not good I know, but didn't want to worry about figuring out which foods I can or can't handle...*sigh*
Old 05-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
Maiko Davidson

Profile:

Well, yesterday started off fine...

Wednesday - May 20, 2009

Workout:
Rest Day - but did move a lot of stuff in the apartment

Food

6:15am - 4blk Prozone Shake, ~1/2TBS sunbutter
7:30am - 1c. Hibiscus Mint tea
10am - Snack Mix: ~1oz Turkey Jerky, 1TBS dried cranberries, 1.5TBS mixed nuts
12:30pm - one piece chocolate with cherry center
1:15~1:30pm - 1c milk, 3oz chicken patty, ~1/2TBS sunbutter
4:30pm - One stick of Pocky Dessert (http://www.veryasia.com/podedoch.html - link wfs) Strawberry flavored though.
4:45pm - 10 Dreyer's Dibs Vanilla (http://www.dreyers.com/brand/Dibs/fl...?b=1391&f=2430 - link wfs)
5:00pm~7:00pm - 5 pieces of chocolate, 3 pieces of caramel
8:30pm - A Bacon Burger with fried onions, sauteed mushrooms, ketchup & mustard from Five Guys with fries.

So...what happened between the morning and rest of the day?? I left work early and went home to my parents place. Completely forgot to bring one of my own snacks so I started munching on goodies around the house like usual, lol. Then dinner was actually a birthday treat. We drove around looking for a restaurant without a 30+min wait time when I decided on Five Guys. I didn't want to keep everyone else up when they had to go to work the next day. I use to have this saying with a former coworker: Five Guys is the magical ****!

Observation: the things I munched on never fully satisfied me like my snack mix does, that was enlightening. I'm thinking it's actually the nuts that are keeping me full (fat = satiety) Next time I'm coming home prepared!!!

Oh, mid-binge I decided to weigh myself to see if I lost any poundage: 123# compared to 125# Sunday morning. Really?? Is that healthy or is that just water?

Alright I better get to bed. Haven't quite figured out tomorrow's workout yet, but I'm thinking it'll just be the 400m + 50 squats deal plus some front squats in the evening.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:46 AM   #7
Tom Brose

Profile:

You Rule!!!
Old 05-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
Maiko Davidson

Profile:

Hah, thanks Tom~! And welcome to my workout log~~ feels like blogging all over again, lol

Thursday - May 21, 2009

Back to work!

I mentioned I would do the 400m run + 50 squats workout next, but then I realized I didn't have a fun b-day workout since it was my rest day. So I decided to treat myself.

Warm-up: ~5 minute jump rope/double under practiced. Nailed 11 in a row with the short-people rope!

Did some movement practice and then some squats and push-ups before moving on to the workout.

Workout: AMRAP in 20mins of

5 Tire Flips
10 Burpees

We have three tires in the gym and I know the biggest one is over 500#s. I believe the smallest was a little over 200#. I used the medium tire for this workout, probably a little over 300#?

Rounds completed: 12 full rounds with 30 seconds to spare.

And I'm still kicking myself over those 30seconds! I should have kept going and finished off the tire flips for round 13! Clearly I need to work on some mental fortitude!! Needless to say, the burpees were the killer in this workout.

Later on I nailed my first (wall-assisted) one-armed handstand on the first try! Subsequent attempts, well, failed, but at least I got one in!

Food

10:30am - 4blk Prozone shake; ~1/2TBS Sunbutter
2:30pm - Snack Mix
9:30pm - 2oz chicken patty, ~10 nuts (mostly almonds), slice of b-day cake from CFDC!

Ugh, I'm not liking the way this food entry looks at all. Not a lot of real food, definitely no veggies. Cake was an unexpected surprise but it does pose a bit of a problem. The thing is HUGE. Tasty, strawberry-y, creamy, but HUGE. I can't eat it all. I should have shared right away but it didn't occur to me to do that until I was stuck in the Metro (train malfunctions, woot!). But I did come up with a plan: Take cake to family, then bring whatever is left to the office.

I am DETERMINED to get some greens in my meals!

Friday - May 22, 2009

Another session with Karen! Today we let the mainsite dictate our workout for the morning.

Warm-up: Jump rope/DU practice.

Workout: Michael - 3rounds for time

800m run
50 Back Extensions
50 Sit-ups

Time: 27:59mins

This was not only my first time doing Michael, but also my first time doing back extensions on the GHD. While running will always suck for me, the back extensions completely demolished me. Sit-ups sucked but only because my back was still sore from the back extensions.

Karen of course finished before I did, but while I was working through the last set of back extensions she told me the story behind Michael. I know the Hero workouts are named after soldiers or officers who died in the line of duty, but I could not tell you each individual's story. I kept visualizing what Karen was sharing with me. As always, I felt like dying but I truly have NO idea compared to those who put their lives on the line on a regular basis.

And yeah, that last set of back extensions was my best set.

Food

9:30am - ~1 1/2c. broccoli, 2 strips of bacon, 1oz chicken patty, 1c milk, ~17 nuts (almonds and cashews).
1:00pm - 3blk Prozone Shake

FINALLY got some veggies in there! But failed at lunch time. Just woke up and realized I overdid my nap and am short on time for my errands for the day!
Old 05-24-2009, 08:45 PM   #9
Maiko Davidson

Profile:

Long time no posting. Here's an update.

Friday - May 22, 2009

Food

9:30am - ~1 1/2c. broccoli, 2 strips of bacon, 1oz chicken patty, 1c milk, ~17 nuts (almonds and cashews).
1:30pm - 3blk prozone shake
4:30pm - 1c milk, 1oz chicken patty, ~1TBS mixed nuts w/ dried cranberries
8:00pm - 16oz Grape ice tea, ~ 1c. cooked rice with chicken curry, palmful of kale, palmful of cabbage, 10 snow peas

Dinner was with a friend at this Chinese teahouse in Georgetown called Ching Ching Cha. Food was damn good, especially the tea, but it definitely wasn't a balanced meal in terms of the macronutrients. I probably could have done better, but eh. We went to see Terminator Salvation. My review: Sam Worthington --> I'd hit it.

Saturday - May 23, 2009

Workout: Exorcist Stairs at Georgetown.

Complete 10 ascents as quickly as possible alternating between sprinting and lunging up the steps.

Time: 12:17 minutes.

Unlike most people when I run the stairs I stick with running the stairs instead of mixing in some other exercises. I *think* I usually do the 10 ascents in about 20mins normally, but I didn't stop at my usual designated rest periods (after the first 5 ascents & whenever someone needed to get through).

Originally I was going to do the 400m & 50 squat workout, but the track was still closed when I got there and I didn't feel like waiting until it finally opened (the hours are from sun-up to sun-down, and it has been open earlier than I arrived). So I decided to drive to the Exorcist stairs and do my usual 10 ascents, this time for time. Nice fall back I think!

Food

7:15am - 2blk Prozone Shake
11:30am - 3 Chicken + crabmeat rolls, French toast (one LARGE slice of bread) covered with powdered sugar with cream and 3 raspberries, ~8 slices of bacon
1:15pm - 1 Grande Vanilla Bean Frappaccino
6:30pm - 4blk Prozone Shake

Oops, had shake twice.

Met up with a friend I hadn't seen in months (maybe even a year?) at this place called Belga Cafe in Eastern Market area of DC. ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS! Highly, HIGHLY recommend, especially that chicken & crab roll thing (they called it spicy cigars). Next time I'll try the non-brunch stuff, but I was craving some breakfast food. After walking around in the heat, we stopped in to SBUX to grab something to cool us off. I should have gone with the Tall instead of the Grande, but a good third of my drink was still ice, so I couldn't drink it all anyway.

I definitely don't feel as light as I had been feeling before Friday but I'm not too worried about it at this point.

Will post Sunday's workout and food log tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:16 AM   #10
Maiko Davidson

Profile:

Sunday - May 24, 2009

Did my own workout and then dropped in for a CFDC class.

Solo Workout: 1.5mile run

Completed in 13:02minutes.

I'm not good at running but I need to get back to being decent at it. I have a slightly b%t#hy right knee, so I don't run very often. The most I ever tried to run on it has been 2miles. I'm hoping that laying off the knee and getting stronger with squatting and such has helped it.

CFDC Strength Work: Deadlifts

5 reps @ 95#, 135#
3 reps @ 135#
1 rep @ 185#, 195#, 205#, 215#, 220#PR, 225#F

PR by 1#. I'm not impressed.

CFDC Metcon

1000m row
Clean & Jerks/Overhead Anyhow
Box Jumps
5 K2Es + 5 Burpees

In groups of four, complete as many reps or rounds as possible of each exercise while a teammate completes the 1000m row. So if your teammate rows 1000m in 3:00mins, then you only had 3mins to get in all your reps (or rounds for the K2Es/Burpee thing) for whatever exercise you were on during that round. I have no idea how long 1000m took me this time but...

K2E/Burpee = 4 complete rounds
Box Jumps = 71 reps on 20" box
C&J - 23 reps @ 75#

Goes without saying that Monday will be a rest day.

Food

7:45am - 1c. milk, 1c. strawberries, 6 nuts, 1oz chicken patty
12pm - 8oz drinkable yogurt with honey (stomach handled this well)
1:50pm - two big handful of nuts & cranberries trail mix
2:30pm - slice of birthday cake, one piece of chocolate and caramel.
6:15pm - Ate with family at Sweetwater Tavern: One donut bread, an order of chicken tenders + fries
8pm - one stick of Pocky Dessert
11:40pm - few pieces of chocolate, caramel, ~4oz Vitamin water

Not healthy unfortunately. Turned down some Burmese food from a friend so I can try to stay on track, but got overly stressed in the afternoon and just didn't care much anymore. Plus I wanted to treat the family for sticking with me during my complete meltdown yesterday.

Will see if I can get back on track tomorrow or Tuesday.