CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-06-2005, 09:22 AM   #1
Paul Peterson

Profile:  
I have a friend who told at his last physical that he was low on iron. Does anyone know if he takes an iron supplement will this also boost his hematocrit numbers? They were also low.
Thanks
Old 10-06-2005, 10:40 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Paul-
Not necessarily! If your frined has high insulin levels he may be storing his iron in a very unhealthy way...increasing oxidative damage and risks for a varitey of diseases. Dumping more iron into the mix may only make the problem worse.

He needs to figure out WHY he is "low" on iron...there are many variables here and it may in fact be as simple as take a suplement but it is important to find the root cause if possible.
Robb
Old 10-06-2005, 10:05 PM   #3
David Birozy

Profile:
Good timing. I went to the doctor three weeks ago for the same thing. I found my self being so fatigued I got winded just carrying the laundry basket up the stairs.

All my numbers were very low, and I was diagnosed with iron-deficiency anemia.

I'm on oral iron sulfate supplements now, and go back in three weeks for another blood test.

Robert is correct - the reason is important, and there are several (not storing iron, internal bleeding, etc.) I've already been "violated" by a camera :-( to see if there was any internal bleeding, and I can't wait to see what the next test will be if my iron levels stay low!
Old 10-08-2005, 09:02 PM   #4
Nikki Young

Profile:
Iron tablets do help, IMO. Not taking anything away from Robb, i would recomend seeing a doctor and checking the reason for low iron levels.

I had a friend who is vegiterian and ate really poorly, i think i finally got through to her to start eating better after a few months! However she got really sick one week and was really fatigued. I mentioned to her it was probably because her iron was so low (after discussing with her what foods she was eating which consumed iron - basically nothing), to get a blood test and take some iron tablets AFTER the blood tests so nothing would be altered.

The blood test showed she was really low in iron and after only a few days taking them she had heaps of energy.

She also mentioned the doctor saying to take the iron tablet with orange juice as it helps the body break down and digest the tablet better, does anyone know why this happens? I think the doc might have told her to do this because she was really worried about getting constipated when taking the sups.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:52 PM   #5
David Birozy

Profile:
I did a bunch of research, and found that vitamin C helps increase iron absorbtion - thus the recommendation to take it with OJ. Me? I just take my iron with 500 mg of vitamin C.