CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
Jason Bosch

Profile:
Need advice on starting my garage gym.

Hi guys. This is my first time posting here. But, I have been reading for a while now. This seems like a great resource for knowledge not just on Crossfit, but fitness and health in general. I can't join an affiliate like I would like due to my family situation. So I'm looking at working out in the garage with my girlfriend. I have a few questions that I'm hoping you can help me with.

I've been working on building up my garage gym. I started with just some basic gear I had when I was doing P90X. You know, dumbells, round medicine balls and the like. Then I got the Rogue Bravo package with a PowerTec power rack a bit ago. I made myself a plate storage rack modeled after the York single sided bumper storage. I didn't like the PowerTec rack because it had really crappy J-Cups that beat up my bar. So I sold that and now I have a Rogue R-3 on the way with a Matador attachment (So stoked to get that bad boy!). Now i'm working on finishing up my DIY GHD.

Anyways, Here are my questions. Equipment wise, what should be my next priorities? Next, how do you garage Crossfitters handle working out with another person when you have limited equipment? We currently only have one of everything. I do eventually want to get another Bravo package with a Bella bar. But, how is it best handled for now? Do you just program separate WODs that don't interfere? Or, maybe stagger when you and your partner start? Would you all have any other general tips for getting going?

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Re: Need advice on starting my garage gym.

Looks like the only thing you're really missing is a plyo box and a rower. Plyo box is easy enough. Not too expensive, or you can just make one. The rower is nice, but expensive so that will depend on if you want to spend the money. You could get by without it. Other than that my focus would be on more bumpers and another bar for the girlfriend so you can workout together. Doesn't have to be a bella. Rogue has less expensive options. You might also try Get Rx. http://www.getrxd.net/index.php/weig...mpic-bars.html (WFS) Their women's competition bar is really nice and for $130 you can't beat it. They also have a WOD bar for $100. No experience with that though.

As far as working out together both options you listed are fine. The stagger start might be tough though if the workout involves BB movements because you only have one bar and you'll both probably be using different weights. I used to workout with a friend of mine in my garage and we just did the "you go, I go" method. One day I did the workout first while he motivated me, and then he would go second. The next day we'd switch. He'd go first then I would go. Worked out good because it gave us numbers to chase I guess and it solved the one set of equipment problem.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
Jason Bosch

Profile:

Matt,
Thanks a bunch for the reply. I forgot to mention that I did pick up a metal 4 plyo box set from Dicks a while ago. I'm loving them. The 30" is a great workout for me. Also, thanks for the advice on Get Rx'd. That bar does look really nice, and a good bit cheaper than I would get from Rogue. I agree that should be my first priority. The different weight loads would slow us down a lot.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Kate Head

Profile:

I agree with Matt, the you go I go system is fun. Its also great to have someone else count reps so you can just go for it. Otherwise the bodyweight WODs you can do together.

I love my home gym, it always has my fav music and I never have to wait for equipment.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
Jesse Martin

Profile:

Get RXd has a one man package for like $1500 that comes complete with just about everything you need.

If I had a garage (or any space for that matter) I would own that by now.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
Michelle Stafford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Head View Post
I love my home gym, it always has my fav music and I never have to wait for equipment.
I second that, I love my home Crossfit garage, It my favorite place in the house...LOL. However, my neighbors do think I'm a little nuts with all the crazy things I do and all the noise that comes from my garage. I get all kinds of crazy looks when I bust out my giant tire and start flipping it down the road or beating it with a sledge hammer.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
Jason Bosch

Profile:

I agree. I love my garage gym. The main reason that I would want to go to a local affiliate is to have guidance in learning good form on some of the Olympic lifts. We should be ok going from videos and helping each other learn the proper way.

The tire sounds awesome Michelle. I need to call around some tire places and find me a nice big tractor tire. My neighbors are going to think we are crazy when I get my backyard climbing rope/high rings/ high bar apparatus finished. Haha!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
Jeff Sprunger

Profile:

there are a ton of DIY projects on Youtube. I made a heavy med ball for the price of a tire repair kit. got the sand from a local playground and used one of my son's basketballs. relax, he had 4 of them. make some Pirralettes out of PVC, a drag sled, buy some rings and a jump rope.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
Chris Petruccio

Profile:

Thanks for the post, Jason!
I was going to basically post the same question however, my situation is a little different. I'll be starting my garage gym at ground zero! Looking for ANY advice that will help in getting set-up.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Petruccio View Post
Thanks for the post, Jason!
I was going to basically post the same question however, my situation is a little different. I'll be starting my garage gym at ground zero! Looking for ANY advice that will help in getting set-up.
What's your budget looking like? Able to start with barbell and such or just kettlebell and/or conditioning stuff?

I started with a barbell and bumper plate set along with a pair of rings (also a pullup bar but I still can't find a place to put it). Few months later I built myself a squat/bench rack, plans are on http://www.endofthreefitness.com/ wfs, cost me something like $50. Also at that time I started collecting some iron plates for the powerlifting stuff. I've got a bunch of those puzzle foam tile thingys to drop weights on, but the next thing I'm thinking of getting in a section of horse stall mats if I can find them for decent prices.

Last edited by Jeff Enge : 12-13-2012 at 05:59 PM.