CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-01-2007, 02:21 PM   #1
Thomas Covington

Profile:
I have two months off(paternity leave) coming up and I plan to GtG those two months. However, I want to GtG on both pullups & pushups and I have worked the following plan up:

Starting pushups:10
Starting pullups: 5

weekly increase:
pushups: 5
pullups: 2

The plan is to do one exercise at the top of each hour every hour rotating between the two. I.E. - Hour 1: pushups, Hour 2: pullups, Hour 3: pushups....

Has anyone tried a routine like this or does anyone have any comments about working increases in this manor?
Old 06-01-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
Connie Morreale

Profile:
your plan is sound since push-ups and pull-ups are complementing exercises. the key to gtg is stopping when you are strong enough to do 2-3 more solid reps. so if your max pull-ups are 5, gtg with 2-3. since your starting number for push-ups is 10 you can go further, say 7-8 reps. once a week test your max to see if your numbers are up. if so add to your gtg number as well. you'll likely find your push-up numbers climbing well ahead of your pull-ups.
good luck!
Old 06-01-2007, 11:15 PM   #3
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Listen to Connie.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:28 AM   #4
Michael Tong

Profile:
I know you are not suppose to go to failure, but I mixed in "go to failure" routine and my numbers are up quite a bit. Just hit 30 dead-hangers, up from 28 just 5 days ago. I go to failure first thing every morning, then do about 85-90% another 2-4 times intra-day, and another failure round at the end of the day.

Maybe my numbers would be the same (or more) if I didn't go to failure - I don't know. That's just my routine.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:20 AM   #5
Thomas Covington

Profile:
Thanks Connie. It looks as though I will need to bump up my starting figures since my max pushups are 38 & pullups are 13. I was under the impression that you started GtG at roughly 40% of max rather than 90%.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:45 PM   #6
Martin Schap

Profile:
Thomas
What you're planning sounds like another program I saw a thread on once where you take 1/2 your max and do that every hour on the hour for 10 hours the first day, then do 50% plus 1 rep the second day, add another rep the third day... and so on until you can no longer complete all ten sets. At that point you back it off by maybe five reps or 10 percent or something and stick with ten sets, but now on the first day you do them every 59 minutes, second day every 58 minutes, etc. until you can no longer complete all ten sets. At that point you take about 2 days off, retest your max and start over. I've often thought it would be fun to do this, but never felt it would be convenient for me since it would be hard to do at my job.