CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-20-2006, 11:34 AM   #1
Peter Queen

Profile:
I need to know some good options for regular potato chips. I am still trying to be a good boy and eat right but every now and then I get those cravings for some good ol’ fat saturated, salty, crispy, crunchy chips. I need to know what other options are out there for me to munch on that will still give me that same psychological crunchy goodness without sending my salt intake warning systems into a spasm. I say psychological because I know that it is probably a habitual craving but I don't care.:proud: Oh did I mention that the substitute has to actually taste good also.
BTW: I am not a big fan of rice cakes or pretzels but I have found some joy in something called “Soy Crisps”. However it still has 290mg of sodium. Or should I not worry about that?:uhoh:

Thanks in advance for your assistance.:happy:
Old 02-20-2006, 11:52 AM   #2
Tom Gilbert

Profile:

Potato chips are a poor alternative to corn chips. Onion rings, however, are the gold medal winners
Old 02-20-2006, 12:02 PM   #3
Peter Queen

Profile:
Onion Rings??? You mean like Funyuns??
Old 02-20-2006, 12:06 PM   #4
Paul Findley

Profile:
Since becoming more zone-like, I have been slowly consuming my potato chip cache. I too am worried about what will happen when they are gone.

I was toying with the idea of pan frying in olive oil thinly sliced vegetables like rutebegga (sp?) or turnip, sweet potato, etc. Those are good as baked "fries". Onion would work good..."breaded" with egg and soy flour, maybe?

:-s

I am not going to touch pork rinds :-\

(Message edited by paul on February 20, 2006)
Old 02-20-2006, 01:21 PM   #5
John Elstad

Profile:
I like potato chips as much as the next guy, but I don't miss them when they're not in the house. I find that when I get bored, I naturally gravitate to the kitchen for a snack. If all I have is wholesome food, that's what I snack on and it usually leaves me content. If you're craving salt and crunchiness, why not salted almonds or pistachios? Just 3-5 usually puts my craving to rest.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
Tom Gilbert

Profile:

Real onion rings, nothing like funyuns

http://www.fox23news.com/news/you_can/recipe/story.aspx?content_id=C278CF95-7D7C -4B2B-9798-97EB29F8459F
Old 02-21-2006, 08:24 AM   #7
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Will power is your best option!

If you have a bag of chips accesible in your house, breaking your crack addiction will become practically impossible.

Rather, buy a small/regular size bag of your favorite chips for a designated cheat day/meal and completely let loose.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:49 AM   #8
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I think going for fake versions of bad food is a bad, bad, bad mistake.

Don't drink diet sodas. Don't eat baked potato chips. Don't eat or drink anything with the words "Lite" or "Light" in the name. Don't use low-fat salad dressing. Don't drink decaf coffee with artificial sweeteners and powdered creamer. Don't eat soy hot dogs.

Fake food is quite likely to be as unhealthy as the original version and you'll never make permanent changes to your diet if you keep trying to replace bad habits with variations of the same bad habit.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:09 AM   #9
Peter Queen

Profile:
Crack addiction?!?! Wow, funny but a bit dramatic. The problem is that there will always be chips in the house anyway because of my wife and kids. If I try to get rid of the chips my wife will say something like,…”You want me to shove those chips where?”
Steve, your option about will power is the best and simple way when you get right down to it.
Lincoln your point is well taken. Substituting crap for crap only gives you crap and that’s no crap. Wow…sounds redundant.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:15 AM   #10
Peter Queen

Profile:
Thanks for the link Tom. I'll check it out.