CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
Michael Dowling

Profile:
Re: Back Squat (going low enuf? lower back rounding?...)

i have the same issue when i squat, if i go too low the back rounds and i get the butt wink causing low back pain. i typically get an inch or two below parallel which i think is satisfactory, i'll never be able to go ATG.

last two sessions though with the weight up i've really been barely hitting parallel or even an inch above.

i've tried everything but i think it's just how i'm put together, once i get too low below parallel that lower back just rounds out, so i can only go to my full ROM.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #12
Steve Bray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Puri View Post
Katherine, I can only get about 2 inches or so lower. My flexibility is not great. I am doing Low Bar Back Squat. Would what you said still apply? I will post another video tomorrow with lighter weight and try to go lower. In the mean time I will do more mobility drills.

Thanks, Steve. I will try some of those mobility exercises.

Thanks, Brad. I will try to get the chest & hips to raise at the same time. If you can believe it, my hips used to rise much faster. I thought I had made some progress, but obviously more is needed.

I will also do some glute bridges before the next squat session tomorrow. Apparently a lot of people have inactive or dormant glutes from too much sitting, not to mention shortened hip flexors & dormant psoas (I certainly do!).

Thanks all. I'd appreciate any more advice.
feel free to email dan, he is really helpful and usually posts an article in the following weeks answering your question. like i asked him about compression clothing and he posted a case study and article on them.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #13
Om Puri

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bray View Post
feel free to email dan, he is really helpful and usually posts an article in the following weeks answering your question. like i asked him about compression clothing and he posted a case study and article on them.
Steve, who is this Dan you speak of? And how do I email him?
Old 06-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #14
Om Puri

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
a few suggestions, in no particular order of importance

1. Try box squatting. Have a box that gets you just below parallel so there are no questions. I've seen it help a ton of people that start to get so low that lower back starts to round. Going low helps you use the other parts - mainly posterior chain stuff. It distributes the load to more than just the quads.

2. There is a bit of driving with the hips first without the chest/shoulders moving up. Maybe drive your head back into the bar a bit (doesn't mean your eyes need to be looking up at the ceiling). This might help with keeping upright using the whole body as a unit to squat up rather than isolating the push to the back.

3. Either strengthen your core (takes time and squatting is a great way to do it) or for a quick fix, work on your breathing and what you are doing with your core/trunk/abs as a brace. It locks your back and keeps things really tight below the chest. Thats key to help with the bit of "folding over" you seem to have.

4. Even though I said no order of importance, this is the big one. Go to Elitefts.com and look up their 'So you think you can squat series'. Its 5+ videos I think and they are gold. Especially if you are working with a bit more of a low bar/powerlifting squat vs. the oly high bar, anyone with an 1100lb squat has figured some stuff out and you should listen. Thats the guy that does the videos.

Lighten the weight, work on technique and generally just...keep squatting. Thats the #1 thing. The more problems you have that you don't address (sloppy or a bit shaky on technique), combined with increased weight and you interfere with the most important part - 'the ability to keep squatting'...
Thanks, Richard. Lots of useful stuff here. Just watched the EliteFTS 'So You Think You Can Squat' Series of videos. Really good. But they don't go much lower than I do.

Went to the Physio Therapist today. He gave me some good exercises.

Will film some Squats tomorrow!
Old 06-15-2011, 04:45 PM   #15
Om Puri

Profile:

So I de-loaded and went lower but lower back rounding.
This is 95x5, at this weight it doesn't hurt my lower back very much but it will as the weight goes up.
LBBS 95x5 WFS
Thoughts? Thanks.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #16
Steve Bray

Profile:

Quote:
Steve, who is this Dan you speak of? And how do I email him?
www.rangeofmotion.net.au

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!...46039282081221

Both links WFS
Old 06-16-2011, 12:11 AM   #17
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
So I de-loaded and went lower but lower back rounding.
This is 95x5, at this weight it doesn't hurt my lower back very much but it will as the weight goes up.
LBBS 95x5 WFS
Thoughts? Thanks.
Um, yeah, doing that will definitely make your back hurt....

Is it possible for you to get a full depth squat without rounding at all, even if it's just with the bar?

How about front squats or high bar back squats? Better or worse?

The solution is probably a combination of mobility work and more squatting, being very strict with yourself about form.

Katherine
Old 06-16-2011, 06:32 AM   #18
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

It looks like your upper back/chest is collapsing/falling forward. This then pulls the bar foreward and then strains the lower back. Really focus on keeping the chest steady. This might help some of the problem.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #19
Steve Bray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
It looks like your upper back/chest is collapsing/falling forward. This then pulls the bar foreward and then strains the lower back. Really focus on keeping the chest steady. This might help some of the problem.
what he said,

keep your chest up to the sky. you want your chest facing forwards as much as possible
Old 06-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #20
Om Puri

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bray View Post
Great site, thanks! Will look into them & follow mobility drills, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Um, yeah, doing that will definitely make your back hurt....

Is it possible for you to get a full depth squat without rounding at all, even if it's just with the bar?

How about front squats or high bar back squats? Better or worse?

The solution is probably a combination of mobility work and more squatting, being very strict with yourself about form.

Katherine
Thanks, Katherine. I can FS but with much less weight (about 66% of my BS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Yes you're absolutely right. I tried again, keeping the chest up as much as possible: LBBS 95 x 5 WFS

It's not perfefct but I think I'm headed in the right direction. What do you guys think?

Also, here is my FS today: FS 125 x5 WFS

My lower back seems a lot better in the FS.

I've been doing FS once a week & BS once a week (70's Big S & C Program).
Should I keep doing that, deload my BS and keep working on form? Or just do FS twice a week?

Thanks.