CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-15-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
Jordan K Smith

Profile:
L-pullups causing spinal pain

i used to be able to do L's with no problem a couple of months ago. now when i try, it feels like my spine (about halfway up my back, towards the lower end of the thoracic region) is going the rip out of my back, maybe not that extreme, but you get the idea. and it gets much worse at the bottom of the pull-up. also, when doing a press-up from the prone position into a hyperextended position (a pt once told me this is a good way to relieve pressure on the nerves around the lumbar region) it feels like there is a crease in my spine in the same region i mentioned earlier. this is another movement i had no problem with a couple months ago. sound familiar to anybody?
Old 11-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
Jordan K Smith

Profile:
Re: L-pullups causing spinal pain

also falied to mention that about 6 weeks ago i was doing 1 rep max front squats and at 245(pr) when i had almost completed the lift my back rounded a little and it didnt feel right. i got the weight up but called it quits on the squatting and deadlifting for about a week and that tweaked feeling seemed to go away within a couple of days. i didn't notice anymore pain or discomfort in the area until i tried the L-pullups for the first time in a while. and the weird feeling in the prone position did not start until the day after i tried the L's.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Sounds either like a slipped face or a slightly subluxed rib.

I would get that checked out by a good chiro or PT... should be able to resolve it in a session or two
Old 11-15-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Sounds either like a slipped face or a slightly subluxed rib.

I would get that checked out by a good chiro or PT... should be able to resolve it in a session or two
k thanks steven. i'm glad you replied, i've been meaning to send an email. i remember in a thread a month or 2 ago you mentioned that there is research going on indicating that whole milk is better for you than it's lower fat content versions. is any of it published? any links? i'd love to know more as i'm a dietetics major and everyone at school including teachers think low fat rules and i am trying to up my arsenal for debate/informing purposes. thanks again!
Old 11-15-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Any cursory search through pubmed will yield results showing that full fat milk either reduces CVD risk or is not negatively.

For example wfs
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20372173
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17925824
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11350992

This one is particularly interesting..... since all the "low fat" stuff people had more incidence of hypertension than the people who consumed the "bad fatty products"
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16904009

This can also be looked up for stroke, hypertension, diabetes, etc. if you wanted

In fact, all studies indicate sat fat in general provides protective effects against or is not postively associated with CVD/stroke/etc. too.

French paradox and all that other stuff is also good to look up. Lots of fatty stuff in their diets.

This is probably the study of all studies you want to use:
http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article...02893/fulltext

Last edited by Steven Low; 11-15-2010 at 11:34 PM..
Old 11-16-2010, 01:10 AM   #6
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

awesome! thanks.