CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-16-2006, 02:02 PM   #1
Tim Weaver

Profile:
I did Fran today (Sunday) and it was only my second one.

I've recently transitioned from my lat pull-down tower (on the Nautilus squat rack I got from a garage sale for $30) to jumping pull ups.

I am trying to determine what the load difference is between these two exercises to see if I really did make progress from the last time I did Fran or if jumping pull-ups are "easier" than kneeling lat pull-downs (100#).

For the pull-ups, I am using a doorjam mounted chinning bar (like you get at a local sporting goods store). Since I am 5'10" tall, to hang w/o touching the floor, I have to curl my legs at the knees.

To do the jumping pull-ups, I basically do exactly what Eva T. teaches in her famous "Eva teaches kipping" video (as seen on late-night TV..hehehe) wherein as I come down, I bend my legs and "rotate" onto my toes to get the arm extension.

As I start to pull my self back and up (kip), my feet contact the floor again and that's where I start my jump.

With a bodyweight of 220#, I am trying to figure out how much more or less I am "pulling" when I do this compared with the lat pull-downs.

thoughts, critiques and suggestions gladly sought.

Thanks,
Tim

Old 07-17-2006, 08:33 AM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Depends on how much you jump. The jumping pull ups will have a bigger impact on your fitness because of the metabolic componant that is lost with the pull down.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:14 AM   #3
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Roger,
That's actually something I didn't know, though given how winded I was after doing them for Cindy, it makes sense.

It seems that pull-downs (with enough weight) might make me stronger in doing pull-ups, while jumping pull-ups give me the metabolic aspect.

I've tried kipping pull-ups from this same bar, but with bent legs, it's hard to really get going. Oh yeah, and not being strong enough to pull my heavy frame up doesn't help, either. :-)

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2006, 02:03 PM   #4
Seth Orell, Jr.

Profile:
Tim,

I'm a big fan of jumping pullups.

When I worked with a (mostly) women's Kickbox/Fitness class, I taught them the jumping pullup as nobody could pull their own weight from hanging. I can tell you that within 4 or 5 months I had a couple of ladies doing a full pullup (and everyone else made great gains in strength/stamina).

I also use jumping pullups as a warmup in order to not put full stress on my cold joints. They have enough of a "grease the groove" factor that I do see improvement in my regular pullups.

Try 'em for a while and see if you notice any difference.

-Seth
Old 07-18-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Tim, Lat pulldowns will have some, but not much, carryover to a real pull-up. To build the specific strength, slow, eccentric lowering (5-10 seconds on the way down) would work much better. Use the jumping pull-ups when you're looking for the metabolic effect, then throw in the lowering when you are intentionally focused on pure strength.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:47 PM   #6
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Thanks Seth and Jesse....!
Old 07-19-2006, 05:50 AM   #7
Erica Bergstrom

Profile:
Jumping pull ups have upped my lat pull weight. I've been doing jumping pull ups since I started crossfit 5 weeks ago and I could pull 70 lbs about 5 times. Two days ago, I pulled two sets of 4 at 100#! Psyched! My bodyweight is around 135, so I'm getting closer to doing a pull up. I've done lat pulls maybe 2-3 times in the past five weeks, so I know its the jumping pull ups.

I haven't pulled this much weight in four years, and I'm getting shoulder surgery this fall!
Old 07-25-2006, 04:07 PM   #8
Eva Twardokens

Profile:
Tim,
The doorjamb pull-up bar makes me nervous...be careful. I am envisioning you tearing out the bar or the doorjamb and possibly hitting your dome on the the doorway. Those would all be signs you are getting stronger at the pull-up, but I would hate for you to learn that way! Take Care!
Old 07-25-2006, 05:21 PM   #9
Pierre Auge

Profile:
I will actually disagree with Eva on this point! The doorjam is great "GIVEN" you install it properly. Screw a block right beneath the contact points. And make sure you inspect the tension of the bar before every use. I used to have one installed in my office door back in the Battalion and very big, very heavy guys would do pull-ups on it daily. It was also a steal door frame though. Oh and make sure it isn't spreading your door frame to far appart it could actually make the frame fail and you could fall and break your neck.

OK OK OK the doorjam bars may not be so great but for $20.00 they do the job if you are careful!
Old 07-25-2006, 10:40 PM   #10
Tim Weaver

Profile:
LOL

Screwed into the doorjam w/2" wood screws, 3 per the little metal screw in cup thingies.

Bar then spreads into that, which holds bar.

I appreciate all your concern, Eva, but I don't think I'll need to worry about it yet. :-)