CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
Yahya Kohgadai
Member Yahya Kohgadai is offline
 
Yahya Kohgadai's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hayward  CA
Posts: 1,385
Can't go Arse to Grass w/o lower back rounding

More OHS and go lower in fine increments over time? Are my hammy's too tight? Spinal erectors too weak? What's the dilly yo?
__________________
34/m - 5'8" - 170lbs - 18%bf
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:59 AM   #2
Andrew H. Meador
Member Andrew H. Meador is offline
 
Andrew H. Meador's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Williamstown  MA
Posts: 917
Re: Can't go Arse to Grass w/o lower back rounding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahya Kohgadai View Post
More OHS and go lower in fine increments over time? Are my hammy's too tight? Spinal erectors too weak? What's the dilly yo?
I don't know, but could you try to get those questions answered in the other thread you just opened on OHS?
__________________
I pay no attention whatever to anybody's praise or blame. I simply follow my own feelings. -W. Mozart
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
Justin McGinley
Affiliate Justin McGinley is offline
 
Justin McGinley's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cherry Hill  NJ
Posts: 3,047
Re: Can't go Arse to Grass w/o lower back rounding

"Hammy's" might be too tight. You might need more thoracic mobility. You might need a slightly wider stance. You might need to push your knees out more at the bottom. You might need to learn to keep your "core" tighter. You might have shoulder flexibility issues. Hard to say without video. Any chance you can film them and upload a video?

And, what is the dilly, yo?
__________________
My Affiliate - CrossFit Aspire in Cherry Hill New Jersey
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
Sean Dunston
Affiliate Sean Dunston is offline
 
Sean Dunston's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alexandria  VA
Posts: 5,759
Re: Can't go Arse to Grass w/o lower back rounding

Yahya.

I am pretty inflexible. I'm sure it is a by product of having a relatively sedentary lifestyle from the age of 25 to about 36. I do not think I will ever have the ability to go A$$ to Ankles in a squat (front, back or OHS), and I'm okay with it.

If it makes you feel better, it took me a good 6 months to have a proper AIR SQUAT (feet about shoulder width apart, good lumbar curve, weight on my heels, hip crease below the knee, chest up, knees tracking over the feet and not "dogging it" on the bottom).

Is there a reason you want your OHS that deep?

I understand that it is an assistance move for the snatch, but unless you are pulling amazing numbers on the snatch, you may not ever need to get that low.



Have you tried squat therapy?
Work the air squat first -- it is fundamental to all of the weighted squats.
__________________
Mount Vernon CrossFit, Owner
USA Powerlifting, Virginia State Rep
My gym- Mount Vernon CrossFit
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
Renee Lee
Member Renee Lee is offline
 
Renee Lee's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston  MA
Posts: 3,039
Re: Can't go Arse to Grass w/o lower back rounding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Is there a reason you want your OHS that deep?

I understand that it is an assistance move for the snatch, but unless you are pulling amazing numbers on the snatch, you may not ever need to get that low.
<hijack>


well phrased, sean

</hijack>
__________________
"catapultam habeo. nisi pecuniam dabis, ad capitem tuum saxum mittam."
Translation: I have a catapult. Give me your money or i'll throw a rock at your head.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
Sean Dunston
Affiliate Sean Dunston is offline
 
Sean Dunston's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alexandria  VA
Posts: 5,759
Re: Can't go Arse to Grass w/o lower back rounding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
<hijack>


well phrased, sean

</hijack>
You should have seen it in its first iteration - I thought that the above was the WFS version.
__________________
Mount Vernon CrossFit, Owner
USA Powerlifting, Virginia State Rep
My gym- Mount Vernon CrossFit
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
Juan Garcia
Member Juan Garcia is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Santa Ana  CA
Posts: 34
Re: Can't go Arse to Grass w/o lower back rounding

good video on squatting form. kind of long but some GREAT INFO here.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...1301858251744# (link works but not family safe, a couple of bs's thrown in there)
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
Jason David
Affiliate Jason David is offline
 
Jason David's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Clair Shores  MI
Posts: 3,037
Re: Can't go Arse to Grass w/o lower back rounding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Yahya.

I am pretty inflexible. I'm sure it is a by product of having a relatively sedentary lifestyle from the age of 25 to about 36. I do not think I will ever have the ability to go A$$ to Ankles in a squat (front, back or OHS), and I'm okay with it.

If it makes you feel better, it took me a good 6 months to have a proper AIR SQUAT (feet about shoulder width apart, good lumbar curve, weight on my heels, hip crease below the knee, chest up, knees tracking over the feet and not "dogging it" on the bottom).

Is there a reason you want your OHS that deep?

I understand that it is an assistance move for the snatch, but unless you are pulling amazing numbers on the snatch, you may not ever need to get that low.



Have you tried squat therapy?
Work the air squat first -- it is fundamental to all of the weighted squats.
Well said.

I say if you can go below the required below parallel...Good for you!! But the reps all count the same.
__________________
www.stclairshorescrossfit.com
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help: My back is still rounding at the bottom of my squat Adam Nakonieczny Exercises 6 06-07-2009 05:51 PM
I want to stop rounding my back. Justin McCallon Exercises 24 05-16-2009 07:29 PM
Lower Back Injury and Back Extensions Christian Groenveld Injuries 6 09-05-2008 10:23 AM
Help with deadlift - back rounding Maurice Berk Digital Coaching 14 08-28-2008 06:21 PM
Back Extensions & Lower Back Injuries Jason Donaldson Exercises 20 06-04-2008 08:02 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:29 AM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.