CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-10-2005, 07:19 PM   #1
Tariq Kassum

Profile:
Ok ladies and gentlemen..

I'm still kind of a beginner at O-lifts but I've been lifting weights for years. Weird part is that when I do C&J, for whatever reason I feel kind of faint. Even if I breathe super hard, I feel like I'm within a hair's breadth of completely toppling over.

So what's up? Am I breathing incorrectly? Dehydrated? Lifting incorrectly? Any experiences with this would be appreciated highly.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:38 PM   #2
Pat Janes

Profile:

I can't say I have felt like that during heavy o-lifts, Tariq. High rep, moderately heavy o-lifts like Grace, then yeah, I can feel a little headed, but then, your CV system is being given a seriously tough time during Grace.

I've also felt a little light-headed after a max deadlift attempt, but that's the heaviest weight that I touch, so again you can understand it.

Not sure why it would happen with heavy o-lifts; perhaps I'm just not trying hard enough...? I would suspect that breathing might have something to do with it, but I don't concentrate on my breathing much myself during an o-lift. I just hold about 75% of a full breath and keep abdominal pressure as I do with any other heavy lift.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:04 PM   #3
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Tariq, describe your breathing pattern. Are you holding it throughout the clean AND jerk? Be sure you are practicing a partial val salva and not completely holding your breath AND reset and get more air before driving for the jerk.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:31 AM   #4
Patrick Walsh

Profile:
I know I get really light headed after a max deadlift. I think I'm breathing enough, but maybe not. I always figured it was because blood was being pumped to all my muscles, and my brain just wasn't getting enough.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:23 PM   #5
Tariq Kassum

Profile:
Thanks for the thoughts on this issue.

Veronica, I'm not quite sure what my breathing pattern is, to be honest. I think I may do the following:

valsalva
clean
breathe heavily (and start feeling faint)
valsalva
press
breathe heavily (and feel fainter)

but I have to double check. Am I doing this right? Maybe I should grunt more.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:40 PM   #6
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
maybe you're hyperventilating. after the clean take a one or two quick deep breaths and hold. press/jerk with a partial valsalva, lock out, set your feet if doing a split, then drop the bar.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:14 AM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I've noticed in competitions that some folks approach the bar and stop breathing in and out. By the time they've cracked the bar off the ground, they haven't taken in a full breath of air for at least 5-10 seconds.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:38 AM   #8
Dan John

Profile:

American Open, 1991. My dad had just died and I traveled to Blaine, Minn to lift. I opened well with an easy 130 snatch, then jumped to 140 (308) pounds and missed one forward and one behind. Tiff was pregnant with Lindsay and we had dropped all of our savings to help my brother Ray after his house burned down in the Oakland fires, then were helped by good friends to get to my dad's funeral and a "mystery person" picked up tickets for me and Tiff to go to the Open.

I nailed my first clean and jerk easy...and turned to see two red lights. "WTF?" Turns out my "discus shoulder" which I pointed out to the judges beforehand 'softly' recovers. The chorus of 'boos' was really quite loud. Mike Conroy runs up to me...a good friend from Idaho...and says "What a bull**** call...and then tries to get me back into my head to retake." No one follows me, so I go back up, clean the bar, and get turned down again.

So, we decide to jump up to 170 to give me time to rest and clear my head. But, no one follows me.

I go up to platform, clean the weight, but God decides that I "just haven't had enough these last few months" and I catch the bar on my throat. I stand up...and Tiff says she can see my eyes rolling back in my head from the tenth row. I jump the bar up to clear my throat. And...there is nothing but a happy quiet place coming to me. A dark place with a light at the end...and someone calling my name.

"Dan. Danny." I look up and it is the face of God. Or Mike Conroy...hard to tell at the angle.

So, there is one more reason. Perhaps, the bar is choking you. Or the universe is trying to teach you a lesson.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:58 AM   #9
Sonia Ng

Profile:

Tariq-do you get really red in the face?(vs a normal "flush" from heavy exertion)

Does this happen during form practice or max c + j tries or all the time?

But yeah...maybe someone is trying to tell you something!
Old 05-12-2005, 11:17 AM   #10
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Dan, awesome story, glad to see you post.