CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-29-2006, 02:20 PM   #1
Karl Geissler

Profile:
For my job I travel the country for different sales and marketing related events. I try to look up the local affliate (like my new friends in Rockford, IL) or I just find the closest gym and see how much I can get away with (like a certain corporate facility in Easton, OH). I would like to know what it really can take to get tossed out, and/or if anyone has taken the Ghandi approach and toed the line as close as possible without going over. I thought I could have done it this weekend in OH, and I am heading up to Milwaukee this weekend. What have people experienced when they have hit the road?
Old 01-29-2006, 02:31 PM   #2
Ted Williams

Profile:
I did a couple WODs when we went to Hawaii this last summer...I could only guess what the people on their balcanies thought that crazy guy was doing...don't remember the WODs, but one was a lot of pullups and handstand pushups...used a tree. Then there was handstand practice. I checked out the hotel gym and it actually had NO equipment I could actually use. I stick to bodyweight WODs when travelling I guess.

Ted
Old 01-29-2006, 03:02 PM   #3
Jeff Martin

Profile:
My gym lets me do whatever I want. Karl when are you going to come visit?
Old 01-29-2006, 03:04 PM   #4
Russ Greene

Profile:

Grace has done it twice.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:41 PM   #5
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Dropping a max O lift will do it just about anywhere i've been.

I have to be careful because getting kicked out of my gym is called "being fired" for me.

So far they've stopped me

- moving the rower to the weights area for FGB
- Telling people to take their runners off to Deadlift
- doing box jumps
- Chalk is the next endangered activity
Old 01-29-2006, 08:33 PM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

1) Dropping any significant weight (maybe any weight at all) from overhead (this will do it, for sure, at almost any commercial or corporate gym (unless you're the CEO))

2) If the gym employs "personal trainers", then giving advice to other gym members (even if they ask) will also be enough (although this will take a couple of weeks)

3) Excessive sweating, panting, or equipment use (i.e., any average WOD). Again, the first infraction won't usually do it, but after about three weeks, they'll ask you to go somewhere else.

4) Making the personal trainers look bad by being in better shape than them while manifestly NOT doing what they do.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:44 PM   #7
Sheila Gruenwald

Profile:
David- Love #4. LOL.... How about those little weasles that wont say anything to your face but then someone stops you on the way out and has a "talk" with you. (and you know from whom the complaint come from)I was asked not to come during the "busy lunch time" as I was disruptive to the other patrons.... BITE ME!!!! If they want to be pansies and not sweat or push themselves to the edge then they are being disruptive to MY workout...Who can workout and READ at the same time.... give me a break! When I am done I can't see straight let alone read a magazine...

sheila
Old 01-29-2006, 09:55 PM   #8
Chris Wyant

Profile:
#1 thing to get you thrown out of a gym.....Wall ball against the wrong wall. Whoops.

*story* Doing sit up wall ball tosses and on the 3rd rep - threw the ball right through the wall - ended up falling through the space in the wall all the way down 3 floors and breaking the main water pipe.

That will get you thrown out in about.....half the time it takes to call the plumber freaking out.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:03 PM   #9
Butch White

Profile:

Yes... David your #4 made me LMAO. I was once blasting through the CFWU and a trainer asked why I was moving so fast on my dips. I explained that I was merely warming-up for a ME work-out to follow. The next day I walked into the gym and see this same trainer on the dip bars struggling (and I mean truly STRUGGLING) to get a few reps. When he saw me, he jumped down and shook out his arms and shoulders... I gave him a smile and thumbs-up and proceeded to warm-up myself. :proud:
Old 01-30-2006, 01:11 AM   #10
Michael J. Joyce

Profile:
Got kicked out of a YMCA for Dead Lifts-- I was too loud. I wasn't grunting or screaming or anything like that. I was told that the weights hitting the ground were disturbing the other patrons. I wasn't dropping them, but still too loud. Warned once, then asked to leave.
Also got kicked out of my high school gym years ago for a case of pretty bad gas.