CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #1
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
I've got low blood pressure, seems it runs on my mom's side of the family (my mom has been known to take a reading around 90/50 I think she said. Mine I took a reading at one of those "measure your blood pressure" things at the stores, with our very not happy stress-builder of a 5 month old next to me, and I had I think 100/60? Or maybe it was 90/60, I forget... anyhow, it's low

As a result, although I'm fairly fit (at least I consider myself fairly fit), my resting heart rate only gets down to around 55 bpm (this is always measured after lying down on a soft couch or something for ~3 minutes). Sometimes it's 60, sometimes 55, and I've never taken it when I just woke up. I think it's a function of my low blood pressure (your heart pumps more blood with higher pressure as I understand (at least to a point)). My max recorded is 192, but calculated it's 194 or 195.

Anyhow... the problem I think I'm having is, it might be causing me lightheadedness in some workous. For example, if I'm sitting on the ground, or bending over (say my feet are on the floor, and my knees and hips are bent so that my hands are touching the ground to pick something up for a few seconsd), when I sit up, I get a little bit lightheaded, and kinda dizzy.

A pretty much similar thing happens when I do a deadlift (and maybe others, the deadlift is the first lift I've tried). Except when I do the deadlift, I get a kinda weird feeling in my ears, it's hard to describe, almost like an empty feeling, like when your ears need to pop, you know? But I don't think it's quite exactly the same feeling.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:19 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Talk to Dr G...I wonder if you need more sodium in your diet?...but alas I am no expert in this area....
Old 03-08-2007, 07:13 AM   #3
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Dr. G? Is he someone on here?
Old 03-08-2007, 07:32 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Yes....Garrett Smith, you can also contact him through his website http://www.doctorasteacher.com/

I am not a Dr...just one of your typical internet know it alls. :biggrinthumb:
Old 03-08-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I think you should talk to a regular doctor. I believe there are some misconceptions. First, your body should be able to adjust to maintain blood supply. Higher blood pressure represents the resistance of your blood system, caused by constrictions (which can be natural, induced by chemicals or stress, or build up of plaque). If you take beta blockers, then, yes, it does suppress your ability to increase the flow of blood but that is an artificial situation. I don't know why you shouldn't be able to function properly.

Second, what you describe doesn't sound that abnormal to me. I'm tall and when I lift my head up from an inverted position, I get a slight rush. Also, with deadlifts, where you tend to hold your breath and INCREASE your blood pressure considerably through a Valvala response, it's not abnormal.

So, don't make any assumptions that something is actually wrong. If you go do a stress test and EKG, you should be able to see if anything is wrong.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:31 PM   #6
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
I did the deadlift (just "how to learn to deadlift" actually) again today, and I didn't feel as much of the lightheadedness. It goes away after a few seconds, which I understand makes it sound more normal.