CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-01-2006, 07:08 AM   #1
Daniel Doiron

Profile:
I recently spoke with someone who brought up something I have heard before, but I have never seen any concrete info on it. I am wondering if any of you all have comments or info on the increased possibility of creating a herniated disk with morning workouts because of the acute morning swelling that happens (to all of us) in the inter-vertebral disks.

Thanks,
Old 03-01-2006, 07:17 AM   #2
Petr Ruzicka

Profile:
Well I do my workouts mainly at mornings not exactly after I wake up however, I need some time to become aware of fact thet I'm indeed alive and kicking, when I need equipment I drive to gym. So it take me 30-45 minutes before I start to do WODs. I also heard about danger connected with disk swelling I'm aware that my spine is somehow different right after I get up, but I do not have any general problems with it.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:08 AM   #3
Stephen Cork

Profile:

Stuart Mcgill talks about this in his book 'Lower Back Disorders'. As you have mentioned, he states to use caution with exercises in the morning, especially avoiding flexion in the lower back.

See his stuff more more info.

Steve.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
William Hunter

Profile:
The disks do not have a direct blood supply (there's no artery/arteriole in, and vein out). They suck in stuff through imbibition. Stuff gets squished out as you move around in weightbearing mode. The volume in your disks will decrease during this time, making them more pliable and flexible. When you go to bed (and unload your spine) it's like throwing a dry sponge into a puddle. The disks will suck in stuff from the surrounding area, becoming fuller. Supposedly, we're all about a 1/4 inch taller in the morning than we were when we went to bed.

The risk is that with the volume increase the internal pressure in the disk is greater, causing more frequent injuries. Some people blow disks just tying their shoes in the morning, something that probably wouldn't happen in the afternoon.

I certainly find it easier to train in the afternoon. If I have to train in the AM, I just warm up a lot longer. If you've had previous disk injuries, care should be taken.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Injuries, since the medical/injury/"owie" stuff lives there.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:32 AM   #6
Daniel Doiron

Profile:
I actually talked about this with a chiropractor last night. He is not aware of any statistical difference with disk herniation and time of day of injury.
We did talk about McGill and we looked over some documents together. He does warn against early am stuff, but I am not sure if I should be concerned of not.
I workout every morning. That is the time of day that I prefer. I will be in full session within 40 to 60 of waiking. No problems up to now!

I will keep asking around and will look-up more stuff about Stuart McGill.

Old 03-03-2006, 11:26 AM   #7
Jason Carriveau

Profile:
At night when you are laying down and the disks are not compressed they swell but within 10-15 minutes of standing and placing a load on them this extra water is pushed out of the disk. As the day continues more and more is pushed out due to the increased stress. This makes the spine more flexible and more able to support a load. However, I don't think that it makes a difference because if you warm up properly and maintain correct form than the water will be pushed out and create a more flexible and supportive spine. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:13 PM   #8
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
The important thing to remember is maintaining proper posture with all exercises whenever you are doing them. There may be a logical arguement to be made for increased disc pressure in the AM, but if you are maintaining the natural curves in your spine it doesn't matter what the pressure is, you are not going to blow a disc. Remember you should always bend at the hips, NOT your back. If you cant bend far enough at the hips, stretch your hamstrings or bend you knees. Hope that sets you at ease.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:29 AM   #9
Daniel Doiron

Profile:
Thanks for 'thinking the same way I do' about this. I have'nt had a problem up to now, but I did'nt know if others did. I always have a good warm-up, and progress from the warm-up to the workout progressively enough that it is sometimes hard to tell where which starts and ends...but I see that this is a good thing.

I might even try to rack a bar and simply support the weight for a few sets of a few seconds before actually squating or deadlifting. This might help with the extraction of extra water mentioned by Jason.

Thanks for the 'food for thought' and feedback,

Old 03-06-2006, 07:40 AM   #10
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Do not try to get rid of the water. It is part of the spring cushion effect that you get from your vertebral column. It is a good thing as long as you are maintaining proper posture.