CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-18-2005, 04:03 AM   #31
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
If you don't like the idea of fish oil then add sardines mackerel or herring ( all wild and low heavy metal pollution and usually cheap) and wild salmon (again usually low merciry and without the PCB's of farmed)as well as walnuts (highest Omega 3 content of any nuts)flax seed and hemp seeds.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:50 AM   #32
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
James, I feel pretty confident putting fish oil in the "basic" catagory. I really don't look at it as a suppliment. Especially with the fat profile shift in meat suring modern times. We need the O3 fatty acids. If you take high dose fish oil, you know what I'm talking about. Now, if you guys want to buy fish oil, I'm selling FISH-PLUS! I grind up discarded fish parts in a blender and ship it right out. Robb Wolf and Brad Hirakawa are going to be on the science advisory board and will endorse FISH PLUS!...once I pay them.:wink:
Old 11-18-2005, 03:37 PM   #33
Taha Mohamedali

Profile:
Eddie, chill.
you're not clogging up the messaging boards, you're expressing yourself with good information. If someone doesn't want to read it then they can easily choose not to.

Larry, Brad,

I agree with "sticking to the basics"..... but I don't want to be basic. I want to be elite :-)

so.... to echo what Coach said at the September seminar: " you wouldn't fill your car with 95% gas and 5% water" - getting 100% results requires filling in those little gaps and I think for many of us who already eat well, JP+ might just fill in those gaps. Now its a matter of whether or not I want to invest the money......
Old 11-18-2005, 04:13 PM   #34
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Larry

Will that be in pill form? Or just chunks in a bottle?
Old 11-18-2005, 05:37 PM   #35
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
"stick with the basics and consistancy, before you start supplimenting"

I think this advice is good for those people who want to reach elite status. That's fine. At the same time, I think it alienates others. A lot of people don't do anything healthy because they get the impression it's all or nothing. So if I party and miss out on sleep I should't be taking supplements that would help my health?
Old 11-18-2005, 06:39 PM   #36
James Falkner

Profile:
I still consider fish oil capsules a "supplement" - you can't grow the capsules, they didn't exist before 1903, and they have to be manufactured - just 'cause Larry takes them and it makes him strong doesn't mean it'll make me strong. Nothing against people who take them, just be advised that not everyone considers them as "basics" just as not everyone considers Juice Plus+! a "basic".

People would have looked at you funny 20 years ago if you told them you took fish oil supplements.

I'm gonna try them tho, thanks to the people on this board that say so many good things about them.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:24 AM   #37
Ryan Heck

Profile:
Anyone tried one of these?

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/75/75qbassamatic.phtml
Old 11-19-2005, 04:51 AM   #38
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
"People would have looked at you funny 20 years ago if you told them you took fish oil supplements."

I don't think so. My mum was giving me cod liver oil on a spoon 25 years ago and her mother before her. So there pretty tried and trusted. The may have taken them for different reason but they knew they were good for their health. But as I posted before if you like your fish oil less processed eat the whole fish.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:10 AM   #39
Michael Hill

Profile:

"People would have looked at you funny 20 years ago if you told them you took fish oil supplements. "

Not necesarily. Food supplements have been around and popular for a long time. Liver tabs were quite popular around 50 years ago. Why would you do this if you could just eat liver?? Moreover, taking fish / cod liver oil on the spoon has been around for a long time. It has been used for centuries for general health in Nordic countries (in addition to eating a lot of fish). At least as far back as the 1890's they knew it prevented rickets b/c of vitamin D content and this is documented in medical writings.

If we continued this logic, people from less than 100 years ago would look at us funny if we told them how we raise our meat and hydrogenated our fats.

Old 11-19-2005, 08:52 AM   #40
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Being looked at funny really doesn't bother me anymore... I get it all the time.
I eat 8-10 meals a day.
I do crossfit.
I do powerlifting at a university gym
I fire dance.
I do a lot of ring work.
I exercise everywhere.

The funny looks never stop. So really to get them over taking fish oil supplements would really cause no problems for me... plus given that the rest of you are crossfitters I doubt you can claim that you have never gotten a funny look or two *grin...