CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-09-2005, 06:01 PM   #1
Kemal Eren

Profile:
for the past couple months i've been incorporating crossfit into my lifestyle more and more, but on the side of my normal workouts/diet. initially i was afraid to go all the way because of the "short" workouts and low caloric intake of the zone. however, the sheer volume of good information and the dedication of the community has really bolstered my confidence.

so finally a couple days ago i decided to give the entire crossfit experience a try for the next 2 months and gauge my progress at the end.

already i've noticed that even though i'm eating 1,000 less calories/day, a 40/30/30 meal keeps me full for a scary long time. i try to eat every 3 hours, but if something interferes, i can go 5 hours without feeling hungry. before starting the zone a typical meal would be the same amount of fat and protein, just double the carbs.

i know about the hormonal/low insulin theory, but what is the theory behind making a meal with less carbs last longer? do more carbs just = more insulin, thus digesting everything faster?

thanks!
Old 10-09-2005, 09:41 PM   #2
Taha Mohamedali

Profile:
According to my understanding.. it goes a little something like this:

you eat too many carbs --> your blood sugar levels get very high, your brain ( the hypothalamus in the brain I think) signals the pancreas to secrete insulin. Due to the high level of sugar, a LARGE amount of insulin is secreted.

The amount of insulin produced will nearly always be more than the amount required to normalize blood sugar (this is partly due to the time lag in the negative feedback to shut off insulin secretion), so you end up in a hypoglycemic state (with low blood sugar). You're brain detects this and tells you that you¡¦re hungry. In general this whole process takes about 2-3 hours for the hungry feeling to return.

So when you eat a Zone meal, the fewer carbs cause less insulin secretion so you will not get as hypoglycemic as quickly and therefore not feel hungry. You¡¦re insulin ¡§see-saw¡¨ will be more in control.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:19 AM   #3
Kemal Eren

Profile:
that makes perfect sense. thanks alot