CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #11
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Supplements?

Chris Mason is the owner and could help you with that.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
Cain Deckhard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Russell View Post
What AtLarge products would you guys recommend?
Nitrean+ is pretty good and Opticen is very tasty. Results is a quality product, even if I don't feel the usefulness/price ratio is as good as it could be due to my following, overly pedantic complaints:

1) If you are already creatine loaded, I don't see the need for the sugar since sugar merely allows you to load faster, not reach greater storage levels once already loaded.

2) HMB, while it does have some effects in untrained folks and possibly some synergistic effects, is too expensive in my opinion. A months supply is probably around $30-40 and constitutes the vast majority of the cost in results. It'd have to be magic for me to blow an extra $400-500 a year on it.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #13
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Russell View Post
Im 19 years old and a quarterback for my university team up here in Canada. I'm 6'4 and 200 pounds, so I'm looking to put on a little bit of weight but basically I'm looking to increase strength.
Do you have any idea what you can and cannot take relative to being an athlete? I can make a suggestion, but I am not familiar with Canadian scholastic restrictions for athletes.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #14
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain Deckhard View Post
Nitrean+ is pretty good and Opticen is very tasty. Results is a quality product, even if I don't feel the usefulness/price ratio is as good as it could be due to my following, overly pedantic complaints:

1) If you are already creatine loaded, I don't see the need for the sugar since sugar merely allows you to load faster, not reach greater storage levels once already loaded.

2) HMB, while it does have some effects in untrained folks and possibly some synergistic effects, is too expensive in my opinion. A months supply is probably around $30-40 and constitutes the vast majority of the cost in results. It'd have to be magic for me to blow an extra $400-500 a year on it.
Well, keep in mind I recommend RESULTS post-workout on training days so the 50g of dextrose goes towards replenishing glycogen stores and the insulin release it elicits is good for both enhancing glycogen and protein synthesis.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #15
Joseph Regan

Profile:

-Good solid meal of protein and carbs about 1 1/2 hours before you workout.
-Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAA) about 30 minutes pre workout (I take 25 grams with extra leucine). I also add in beta alanine and creatine to this mix. Sip on this concoction pre and intra (During) your workout. (you can also add in some powdered carbs like waxy maze or karboload if you are trying to bulk up a bit.
-Immediately post workout you should have a quality protein shake with more powdered carbs.
-1 to 1 1/2 hours post workout you should have a pretty large meal of lean protein sources, carbs and a little bit of quality fats.

Its pretty simple. Feed your muscles and burn your fat.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #16
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Regan View Post
-Good solid meal of protein and carbs about 1 1/2 hours before you workout.
-Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAA) about 30 minutes pre workout (I take 25 grams with extra leucine). I also add in beta alanine and creatine to this mix. Sip on this concoction pre and intra (During) your workout. (you can also add in some powdered carbs like waxy maze or karboload if you are trying to bulk up a bit.
-Immediately post workout you should have a quality protein shake with more powdered carbs.
-1 to 1 1/2 hours post workout you should have a pretty large meal of lean protein sources, carbs and a little bit of quality fats.

Its pretty simple. Feed your muscles and burn your fat.
? I always go for a lot of quality fats...
Old 04-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #17
Joseph Regan

Profile:

Fats can be used for energy. but carbs are used for shuttling nutrients and energy. If trying to add mass you MUST add carbs and protein. I never add much fat and carbs at the same time. I use fats throughout the day for added calories and energy but i cut the fats out and add in the carbs around my workout. Carbs also add glycogen which is a must.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #18
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

You guys are getting pretty far off track, there are lots of other threads to argue about macronutrients in.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:12 AM   #19
Joseph Regan

Profile:

But i think thats where a lot of people mess up with supplements. They think they are a magical fix all and they are not. They need to be used WITH proper meal amounts and proper meal timing. I have tried almost every supplement under the sun for the past 25 years. Most of them are garbage but there are some that if used properly and at the right time, are very beneficial. Using meals and timing them along with supplements is the key. Wasnt trying to argue, just wanted to put out there my personal experiences.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #20
Jeff Russell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
You guys are getting pretty far off track, there are lots of other threads to argue about macronutrients in.
Thank you for that. All i was wondering was if i needed to add anything to my supplement regiment and thanks to you guys i ordered Nitrean+ and results from at large.