CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-21-2005, 04:32 PM   #1
Noah Silverman

Profile:
Hi,

I'm having a lot of trouble finding Paleo friendly carbs. My problem is the amount of carbs that I have to eat. At 17 blocks, I need to eat 153 grams of carbs a day. That is just a ridiculous amount of vegetables. I don't think it is humanly possible to eat something like 68 cups of spinach a day.

I've mainly been using fruit for the carb portion of my meals, but that is getting old quickly. Since all the grains, beans, and rice are not Paleo, what are people eating???

Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:56 PM   #2
Mark Beck

Profile:
at just one cup per block I have tomatoes or peppers if I want less bulk from favourable carbs in salads. dill pickles are good for snacks if you don't want a load of bulk as well. if you are cooking something it's easy to build up carb blocks with some onion too.

cabbage and broccoli are for if I want a good jaw workout and have plenty of time on my hands.

Old 02-21-2005, 05:21 PM   #3
Seth Drown

Profile:
Your right it is tough to get 153 grams of carbs from veggies alone. I came to the zone from a low-carb paleo approach, and it was all I could do to choke down all the carbs the first few days. I initially tried throwing in a little sweet potato and Ezekial-type bread, but I really prefer sticking with fruits and veggies. I usually try to get 1/3 to 1/2 of my blocks from veggies and the rest fruit.

As for suggestions:

1) Try the mashed cauliflower from the first issue of The Performance Menu. http://www.crossfitnorcal.com/pmenu/index.php
That's a traditional low-carb substitute for mashed potatoes.

2) Make vegetable soup. I use plain water as the base of mine, but you could use tomatoes too. Throw in a bunch of your favorite veggies and cook. I like leeks, onions, broccoli, spinach, and carrots. Add as little salt as possible. Shred or food-process the veggies so they will cook faster. I can get 15 grams of carbs in a large bowl of soup, and its easy to eat. Plus, you can make it in bulk and refrigerate or freeze it for a quick veggie.

3) Try drinking your veggies. You can buy v-8, but it's even better if you can make your own juice. I also like to throw some Garden of Life Perfect Food Powder in with some berry-flavored protein powder and water. It's available in health food stores and online.

4) Try a chef's salad. Romaine lettuce, broccoli, spinach, onion, carrot, tomato, eggs, meat, cheese, cucumber, etc. Use olive oil and vinegar for dressing or try some canola mayo for a creamier dressing.

5) Think Chinese. Stir-fry a bunch of veggies and meat, but avoid the soy sauce as much as possible. Try cabbage, asparagus, broccoli, onion, bok choy, etc. Unfortunately, no fried rice.

If all else fails, read this post by Lauren:

http://www.crossfit.com/cgi-bin/disc...=2273#POST2273

Good luck!
Old 02-21-2005, 05:37 PM   #4
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
How do you figure out the blocks from soup or salad or stir-fry? Every veggie has a different qty/block, so when you lump 'em all together, how do you do the math?
Thanks,
Old 02-21-2005, 06:33 PM   #5
Seth Drown

Profile:
Lynn,

I measure the individual veggies into blocks as I'm preparing the dish. If I'm doing a salad that I'm going to eat all in one sitting, I will just measure x blocks lettuce, x blocks cucumber, etc until I have the total number of blocks I want.

With dishes like stir-fry or soup that can make multiple servings, I generally use the same method as above to get the total number of carb blocks in the entire dish. Then, I divide that number by the number of blocks I want per serving. Then I get that number of plastic containers with lids and divide it up.

For example, let's say I want to get 1.5 blocks of veggies per serving in a bowl of soup and I want to make 8 servings of soup. I measure out enough veggies to give me 12 blocks of carbs (8x1.5). Then, I divide the cooked soup into 8 seperate containers. Or, if you don't have enough containers, you could measure the total volume of soup as you put it into one big container. Then when you want a serving, take one-eighth that amount.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:01 PM   #6
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I really like sweet potatos, yams, squash and onions as well. They are fairly carb dense but super nutritious. Getting a block or two of veggies and the rest from more dense sources can really stream line things. So long as you feel good following the meal you should be set.

Seth-
Great recomendation on the soup!
Robb
Old 02-22-2005, 01:08 AM   #7
Noah Silverman

Profile:
Thanks for all the advice.

Robb, I'm glad that you like the sweet potatos. I've been gravitating toward them as a carb source.

Tonight I actually made a "power patty" out of canned salmon, grated sweet potato and a little olive oil. Cooked it up like a big potato pancake. Really tasty.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:41 AM   #8
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Sth,
Thanks - sounds like a BIG soup pan, but a good approach.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:55 AM   #9
Donald Woodson

Profile:

I don't remember the numbers, but carrots are pretty carb dense too.
Noah, does canned salmon smell any better after you cook it. I love sardines, pickled herring, raw, smoked and grilled fresh salmon etc, but I opened a can of salmon once and began convulsing. Was it maybe just a bad can of it, or does it smell like road kill all the time?:crazy:
Old 02-22-2005, 11:44 AM   #10
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Try some wasabi paste in the "mashed cauliflower", it helps!