CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
William Arnold

Profile:
bar and bumpers for prolonged use

Howdy all,

yes i have looked through past threads.

I will be doing crossfit style workouts and olympic lifting. I want a bar and some plates that will LAST me a good while. Good quality, long lasting.

That being said, pendlay has several packages and rogue has several packages. As far as my limited knowledge goes those two are both good. But i don't have experience with either, so i can't exactly choose for myself yet. Rogue would be cheaper than pendlay for the most part it seems.

Pendlay also has two bars, nexgen HD and nexgen bearing.

Looks don't mean jack poop to me, just quality. So if anyone has experience with anything in the above, i would love some input. Would either bar be just fine from pendlay? Will the rogue or pendlay do me better for a long term love/hate relationship? Do the shiny elite bumpers last longer than the econs or are they just shiny?

Thanks yall.

*edit: crossfit style / oly lifting means OHS, BS, DL, cleans, jerks, lunges, blah blah etc etc.

Last edited by William Arnold : 10-04-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
Cody Lewis

Profile:
Re: bar and bumpers for prolonged use

I have a Rogue Bar and hi-temps from Rogue (a 160 lb set and a set of gorilla plates)

I feel like they will last me forever. One 45 lb does have some slight air pockets in them, but Rogue said as follow

"Occasionally tiny air pockets will develop in these plates. These do not affect the function of the plate and we have not seen any of them cause any issues. However, if this ever becomes an issue and affects the function or integrity of this plate at any point in time we will take care of it."

My recommendation/vote will be for Rogue products all day. They stand by their Rogue bar for life so that was a selling point for me.

I know you don't care about the looks, but I like how my bumpers/bar look too
Old 10-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
Luke Conner

Profile:

I also have the Rogue Bar and Hi-Temp plate set, the 230lbs set and they are awesome. They just ooze quality.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
William Arnold

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Lewis View Post
I have a Rogue Bar and hi-temps from Rogue (a 160 lb set and a set of gorilla plates)

I feel like they will last me forever. One 45 lb does have some slight air pockets in them, but Rogue said as follow

"Occasionally tiny air pockets will develop in these plates. These do not affect the function of the plate and we have not seen any of them cause any issues. However, if this ever becomes an issue and affects the function or integrity of this plate at any point in time we will take care of it."

My recommendation/vote will be for Rogue products all day. They stand by their Rogue bar for life so that was a selling point for me.

I know you don't care about the looks, but I like how my bumpers/bar look too
Thanks for the input guys. I was leaning towards rogue not only due to price but because i would be ordering strait from rogue themselves, and so far their customer service has been fenominal.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
Luke Conner

Profile:

Plus many of the Rogue packages come with free shipping.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
Vilan Natanzon

Profile:

According to a lot of online discussion the only econ bumpers that last are the hi-temps.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
David Kiesling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilan Natanzon View Post
According to a lot of online discussion the only econ bumpers that last are the hi-temps.
Could you point me to these? I saw a couple discussions on here about other bumpers getting loose inserts, but there seemed to be just as many people who have been using bumpers in high-use environments for years without problems.

Rogue sells tons of the Troy VTX bumpers on a regular basis, and given Rogue's reputation I don't think they would do that if they expect problems from them down the line.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
Ben Orga

Profile:

I have Pendlay Elite plates and a Rogue bar. Perfect setup. I have lifted with the Nexgen and it performs similarly to the Rogue Bar, you won't regret going with either, just don't go cheaper.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
Phil Griffin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kiesling View Post
Could you point me to these? I saw a couple discussions on here about other bumpers getting loose inserts, but there seemed to be just as many people who have been using bumpers in high-use environments for years without problems.

Rogue sells tons of the Troy VTX bumpers on a regular basis, and given Rogue's reputation I don't think they would do that if they expect problems from them down the line.
I'll back you up on the Troy VTX bumpers, I have yet to see a negative review of them on here. I loved the price, the quality to me seems great, and I prefer the smaller bounce of the VTXs (vs. the hi-temps). I have seen hi-temps used in boxes wear out (metal insert coming loose or missing), and not just on the 10 lb plates. I'm not saying the VTXs are higher quality, but they seem to me to be of equal quality, lower price, and less bounce....
Old 10-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
Peter Keller

Profile:

William- I shot you a PM- check your inbox. We are just up the road in Austin.