CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
Devin Ford

Profile:
CrossFit: The Superior Sport? Controversial Argument.

Hey Guys! I have been CrossFitting for 3 years now and compete in the games. I wrote an article titled "CrossFit: The Superior Sport?" on my EliteFit blog in hopes to start a rational discussion about CrossFit as a sport. I honestly do believe CrossFit is the superior sport and wanted some more opinions. I believe I made a valid argument, what do you think?

http://elitefitblog.com/crossfit-superior-sport/ (work/family safe)

Some have gotten offended and that is not my intent. Just stirring things up a bit!

Devin
Old 11-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
Jared Ashley

Profile:
Re: CrossFit: The Superior Sport? Controversial Argument.

There is no one "superior" sport, and if I had to pick one it wouldn't be CF. I do believe CF is a legit sport, but I find your arguments wildly unconvincing.

Being part of a team does NOT take the pressure off of you. If anything, it can increase pressure because you are competing (in a friendly way, but still competing) every single training session with your teammates to not be the weak link.

while CF certainly has a lot of real-life carryover, the same can be said of prettymuch anything else. Your statement that tennis players have no carryover belies an ignorance of the skill and fitness required in tennis. It's not just eye-hand coordination, it's also speed, power, endurance, accuracy, strength... sound familiar?

Finally, CF as a sport is in it's infancy, and the level of time and dedication (not to mention natural talent) currently required to be competitive at the games isn't even in the ballpark of what's required to be at the world level of most anything else. CF is still at a point where non-CF atheletes can jump in, train hard for a year or two, and stand on the podium. A sport claiming to be "superior" should be harder to get to the top of, not easier.

I repeat that CF as a sport is legit, and it gets more legit every year. But to put it above football, hockey, gymnastics, weightlifting, or even figure skating is ridiculous.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
Travis Rask

Profile:

This message board is getting ridiculous.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #4
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Here comes FratFit (TM).
Old 11-03-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Bashing other sports isn't good proof.

On a basic level almost every sport requiring effort has some crossover to real life. Obviously the more specialized the sport, the less transfer occurs the more elite one becomes, but chances are most high level athletes have a good GPP base upon which their specilization can excel.

My guess is the top 50 tennis players have some pretty good fitness. Yeah, they probably couldn't do Fran in under 4 minutes without training, but I guess they'd be pretty good with short anaerobic events as well as mid to long endurance. I'd like to see a top crossfitter run against David Ferrer or Nadal. Yes, they can't bench 400lbs, but as CF says, thats the cost of specilization. My guess is the top 50 tennis players can outperform most of the population as would most elite people in sport.

Heck outside of strength, I think tennis addresses all the other key aspects of CF as defined "General Physical Skills" from Dynamax that Glassman uses to help define fitness. Tennis hits: CV, stamina, flexibilty, power, speed, coordination, agility, balance and accuracy.

Ironically, I think the best tennis players have builds in the range of the best CF's. Around 5'9"-6'1", weighing around 170-185.

CF might be a good representation of GPP. If you took the top 10 of a sport, my guess is they would perform better without any special training at CF compared to putting the best CF'ers in sports foreign to them. And this makes great sense.

You might have a better argument if you say CF is the best sport for all round fitness and through that can enhance the peformance of other sports. Of course, you might need some additional evidence to help that.

I love CF, but bad arguments will sink it instead of lift it.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
Daniel Wheeler

Profile:

I didn't make it past the team sports section...

The crossfit games do not compare to the world series, or the super bowl, and are most certainly not superior.

I love cf and what it does, but have an ounce of perspective.

Maybe I'm being premature in my response (didn't get far) but its posts like this that make other sports mock and find *********gery amongst crossfiters.

Last edited by Daniel Wheeler : 11-03-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #7
Daniel Wheeler

Profile:

Not being an *** but I don't recognize you from the games...
Old 11-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wheeler View Post
Not being an *** but I don't recognize you from the games...
I think this would be him:
http://games.crossfit.com/node/4696 (WFS)

I think the only way you can pick *a* superior sport is if you don't know much about sports. The reason why so many sports exist is that they all have different physical and mental demands and appeal to different aspects of our natures.

I'm doing mostly oly lifting these days. I was at the affiliate where I train, watching someone do today's WOD: double unders and snatches. After a particularly ugly snatch, the coach (who competes in weightlifting) turned to me and said, "This is Crossfit. That counts." To which my reply was, "This is Crossfit. He did it after 35 double unders."

Neither is better or worse, they're just different.

Oh yeah. And team sports? Tell David Freese that team sports are easier because the load is shared. Or better yet, tell it to Neftali Feliz. Make sure you're a safe distance away...

Katherine
Old 11-03-2011, 11:57 PM   #9
Daniel Wheeler

Profile:

I googled his name after I wrote that post.

I guess I auotomatically assume that when using "crossfit games" or the "games" that the reference is to the big show in cali.

Speaking of Freese and Perez...game 6 was amazing.

Regardless of how jaded you may be with CF OP, at 21 you have a pretty good upside.

Keep it up.

Last edited by Daniel Wheeler : 11-04-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:16 AM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

CF isn't as violent as some sports. So unless they allow that, it will that aspect of hockey or football, basketball, water polo, baseball, rugby, wrestling, boxing, judo, kickboxing, mma, paintball, lacrosse, soccer, etc.