CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Westside Conjugate Calculator

Let me know what you guys think. I have it set up so that you plug in your 1RM numbers at the top and it will calculate everything for you. The only thing you have to do is the assistance exercises, which I gave examples of.

If you want to use it, just hit "File" and "Make a Copy" so you can start using it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...1aNGc&hl=en_US (WFS)

Let me know what you guys think. I can't think of anything else. Once you download it, you can make your own changes, just as long as you are familiar with how to use Google Docs. If you mess it up, just Make another copy and start over.

Last edited by Paulo Santos : 09-01-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
Ross Dijulio

Profile:
Re: Westside Conjugate Calculator

hey this is pretty cool. Thanks I am sure this will clarify most questions regarding percentages and such.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
Jason Wallis

Profile:

I just downloaded it and played with it a little bit, looks almost idiot proof!
Chris Mason, given this layout, where would one add in his/her conditioning work, and how much would you recommend?
Old 09-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Let me know what you guys think. I can't think of anything else. Once you download it, you can make your own changes, just as long as you are familiar with how to use Google Docs. If you mess it up, just Make another copy and start over.
Looks like a good start. Just a couple things:

Speed squats are done for doubles.
Throw in a some speed deads at least one week.
There's no Max Squat?
It would be nice to have a separate section for speed work with bands (that's the ideal way to do it anyway, and where a lot of questions come up).
I would also do a 3 week wave on speed squats (60, 65, 70 or 50, 55, 60--or lower-- with bands).

Again, it should be a good starting point for the majority of the people who don't want to do any research/experimentation on their own.

Last edited by Tim Nakashima : 09-01-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Nakashima View Post
Looks like a good start. Just a couple things:

Speed squats are done for doubles.
Throw in a some speed deads at least one week.
There's no Max Squat?
It would be nice to have a separate section for speed work with bands (that's the ideal way to do it anyway, and where a lot of questions come up).
I would also do a 3 week wave on speed squats (60, 65, 70 or 50, 55, 60--or lower-- with bands).

Again, it should be a good starting point for the majority of the people who don't want to do any research/experimentation on their own.
Once you save the template, you can change things to fit your needs. If you want, just remove the 4th week and just do the 3 week cycle and change the accessories for weeks 4-6. You can change the ME Exercises around and it won't change anything. Just leave the bench press and box squats where they are.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
I just downloaded it and played with it a little bit, looks almost idiot proof!
Chris Mason, given this layout, where would one add in his/her conditioning work, and how much would you recommend?
Something like this:
Day 1: ME Upper.
Day 2: DE Lower.
Day 3: Rest. Optional Conditioning.
Day 4: DE Upper.
Day 5: ME Lower.
Day 6: Conditioning.
Day 7: Rest.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Once you save the template, you can change things to fit your needs. If you want, just remove the 4th week and just do the 3 week cycle and change the accessories for weeks 4-6. You can change the ME Exercises around and it won't change anything. Just leave the bench press and box squats where they are.
I was thinking more for the person who has no clue about Westside, and keeping it in line with all the information Louie has put out about it.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:08 AM   #8
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Paul--nice work. Fun to play with. I think for someone with some lifting experience but who has never done Westside it's great.

Keep in mind for the Max Effort days that the percentages are more to be a rule of thumb. At the cert a girl asked how to work up to the Max Effort lifts--I think she was looking for percentages. He responded with a question as to how would she do it? When she gave a rough sketch he said perfect, then do 1-2 heavy singles and then set a max. I got the impression that different people have different ways of getting up to a max--small jumps, big jumps, rep sets, singles. And then the amount of weight you put on the singles depends on how you are feeling that day. So some days 102% may be easy and others 105% might rock. Other days, you might struggle a little and just beat a PR.

Tim made me think what would be the best way to intro someone to Westside if they have no experience? If someone has been lifting, I think it is a pretty easy transition. But if you just came to a box that was uing Westside for strength, would you do anything special to intro them or ramp them into it?
Old 09-02-2011, 06:14 AM   #9
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Nakashima View Post
I was thinking more for the person who has no clue about Westside, and keeping it in line with all the information Louie has put out about it.
You are right. I changed it up.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:48 AM   #10
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Anyone have thoughts on combining the ME lower and DE (and vice-versa) upper days?
Something like:
mon- ME lower
DE upper
tues- metcon
wed- rest
thurs- ME upper
DE lower
fri- metcon
sat- rest, or low intensity activity (hiking, water skiing, climbing)