CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
Kyle Borowsky

Profile:
Correcting my squat form

I have started doing some reading on proper squat form and therefore have become more aware of myself while preforming a squat. Today I realized that after squating down on the way back up I have been mooving forward. I noticed this when the bar started bumping the rack even though I had taken a step back. Any suggestions on how to fix this...
Old 08-05-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
Michael Ingley

Profile:
Re: Correcting my squat form

weight on your heels
Old 08-08-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
Kyle Borowsky

Profile:

yes i understand the concept is to push up from the heels and that is what I am attempting to do. any practical tips that I can put to use...
Old 08-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
Charles Talbert

Profile:

Be conscious of engaging your posterior chain instead of relying on your quads. That's one of the the things I was doing and it was making my knee's shoot forward. Watching this Rippetoe video also helped me out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yha2X...feature=relmfu (WFS)
Old 08-08-2011, 11:51 PM   #5
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Practice frankenstein squats. This will help develop upper back strength, and teach you to properly squat correctly. You could also google "Goblet squats" as it reinforces the same concept.

Remember hips first in the movement, and last to finish. Think of sticking your tailbone straight down and creating space with your hips to let your body sit down between your legs.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
Anson Castelvecchi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Borowsky View Post
I have started doing some reading on proper squat form and therefore have become more aware of myself while preforming a squat. Today I realized that after squating down on the way back up I have been mooving forward. I noticed this when the bar started bumping the rack even though I had taken a step back. Any suggestions on how to fix this...
Find some ankle mobility drills on YouTube or Mobility WOD. They only take a few min of work each day and can make a huge difference in your squat form.