CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
Erich Anderson

Profile:
Westside concepts applied to sport specific training?

Work Family Safe

I've been doing crossfit for about 8 months and am having a great time but am realizing that the regular crossfit doesn't quite have the strength bias i need in order to improve overall. I've volunteered to guinea pig a 10-12 week westside inspiried program for my gym and at the end will then have hard data in order to argue for inclusion of some westside-type lifting in the general programming.

i'm 25 years old, 6'2 165 pounds. a few benchmark numbers
April 2010
Parallel squat - 61 kg 135 lb
bench - 90 kg 200 lb
deadlift - 136 kg 300 lb

from june until september i just did general crossfit at my gym with no specific strength training.

September FGB 5 - 316

We just finished a 10 week olympic lifting cycle and my endurance has gone out the window but my strength now is as follows

Olympic (butt to ground) back squat - 70 kg went to 79kg
deadlift - didn't measure in beginning, to 148 kg
cj - 60kg to 69 kg (I can powerclean 70kg if that demonstrates how weak my legs are)

I'm in the process of writing out a program for a 4 day a week westside lifting program that will incorporate some CFFB wods and westside supplemental recovery lifts. I'm benchmarking a mile run, a 400 m run, FGB, and fran before i start. I'm a skier whose season goes from November to July (The joys of being a few hours from mount hood!). As this is the sport I am training for, my questions are as follows :

There's a decent amount of information on the westside lifting system between the CFJ articles and the articles on Westside's site. But since I do a fair bit of backcountry hiking and want my GPP to improve (and also so my crossfit times can improve) as well as my lift titles, can anyone comment in detail about the Wods they have incorporated or that I should incorporate? Should they be 5-10 minutes or 30 min, heavy weight or body weight, etc. I will be doing my lifting in the morning and coming back in the afternoon for GPP/stretching/Wods. I also want to make sure I don't overtrain.

The westside system is geared towards improving a single max effort, but can it be tailored for more muscular endurance? I'd like the strongest legs possible for skiing first, and second for crossfit. Can anyone offer insights or comment on this?

I feel like my Hams and core are going to be the places I focus on for my supplemental lifts. I've skied 50+ days a year for the past 5 years while doing full time school and having this little leg strength is extremely frustrating.

Also, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

in advance!!!!!!

Last edited by Erich Anderson : 11-11-2010 at 11:05 AM. Reason: language
Old 11-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
James R. Climer

Profile:
Re: Westside concepts applied to sport specific training?

I'm curious as to see how this will differ from
Max Effort Black Box,
Grant Gimes Hybrid,
Crossfit Football or
Crossfit Strength Bias.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
Erich Anderson

Profile:

well the outpouring of support is tremendous! Looks like i'll just have to figure this out on my own...

If you shoot me a PM with your email address I can send you my spreadsheet for what my 12 week workout will be. I have a bunch of specific questions but guess i'll just have to keep researching it/experimenting.

if anyone reads this and feels liek commenting, are the box jump days done on their own seperate days?

and on heavy days, do you keep the special exercise heavy also? Light days recieve light/high rep exercises?

As always, any guidance/comments would be much appreciated!

Erich
Old 11-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
Ben Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Climer View Post
I'm curious as to see how this will differ from
Max Effort Black Box,
Grant Gimes Hybrid,
Crossfit Football or
Crossfit Strength Bias.
True Westside will differ in that you use different variations of the lifts as well as adding in dynamic effort work. I've done westside and variations of it while training for strongman and powerlifting and I'm basically doing MEBB now. There is far less supplemental lifts in MEBB than in westside.

To the original poster - the recovery and supplemental lifts need to be light and high rep type movements. With ME and DE you will need to make sure your recovering completely between workouts. Allow at least 48 hours between ME and DE. Use supplemental exercises to target weakness and vary your bars and you'll have a good start.

Another source for westside articles is www.elitefts.com (WFS)
Old 11-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

You might have a look at mtnathlete.com as well. (Safe as far as I can tell.) Much of their stuff is behind a paywall, but their programming is targeted at skiers, mountaineers, and others with similar needs.

Katherine
Old 11-12-2010, 06:52 PM   #6
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:

Side note: you can deadlift 148kg but your best Olympic style squat is only 79kg? Are your arms four feet long?
Old 11-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #7
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Why make things complicated at your age and current numbers? Lift heavy stuff. If you don't want to do a straight SS program then do CFSB,CFFB, or WFSB.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #8
Daniel Lyell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich Anderson View Post

The westside system is geared towards improving a single max effort, but can it be tailored for more muscular endurance? I'd like the strongest legs possible for skiing first, and second for crossfit. Can anyone offer insights or comment on this?
Please buy and read the Westside book of methods. Louie addresses this specifically. Max effort work comprises only 2 out of the 4 workouts per week. Furthermore, did you mean assistance lifts when you said "recovery" lifts?
Old 11-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #9
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Hey man, I would have to say that it looks like you are trying to reinvent the wheel with writing a new program up like that. I would suggest that you look at the 70s Big program here - http://www.70sbig.com/files/Articles..._S&CP_v2.0.pdf - (WFS)

I was in the same boat as you, my strength maxed out way before my endurance. Found that link on another thread. I have been doing this for 5 weeks and my strength has improved more than I could have hoped! It is leg focused (two squat days, a deadlift day and power clean day) with enough upper body and conditioning work to balance out.

If you dont like it good luck with your program, maybe I can help with a couple of your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich Anderson View Post
...can anyone comment in detail about the Wods they have incorporated or that I should incorporate? Should they be 5-10 minutes or 30 min, heavy weight or body weight, etc. I will be doing my lifting in the morning and coming back in the afternoon for GPP/stretching/Wods. I also want to make sure I don't overtrain.

Also, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

in advance!!!!!!
Your metcon work - keep it short (10 minutes or less), and increase weight as much as your body will allow.

Endurance comes with reps - so dont be shooting for one rep maxes all the time. Go for 5 rep maxes.

Good luck!
Old 11-14-2010, 02:20 AM   #10
Erich Anderson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Israel Briskin View Post
Side note: you can deadlift 148kg but your best Olympic style squat is only 79kg? Are your arms four feet long?
ha something like that! I've just NEVER been a good squatter. and that 148 going up wasn't pretty by any means, but it went from the floor to the top so i count it. I'm guessing that something wacky is going on like my hamstrings aren't being incorporated in the correct way?