CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-19-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:
Methods for working your goats, etc.

Hi,

As you may know, a "goat" is any exercise or movement you dislike doing or like doing but are weak at, or both. A tenant of CrossFit, and many other exercise methods, is to work at improving these.

I like selecting exercises randomly by computer to force me to do my goats.

Drew Baye talks about "Dynamic Exercise Order" here http://baye.com/dynamic-exercise-order/ (safe for work, family, etc.) to do your goats.

DOE says that whatever exercise you performed the worst on in your current workout (however you define performance - seconds until failure, repetitions, level of effort, weight lifted, time, etc.), you do that exercise first in your next workout.

I created a spreadsheet that demonstrates DOE here http://www.statisticool.com/deo.xls (safe for work, family, etc.) that you may find useful.

Justin
Old 11-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:
Re: Methods for working your goats, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Z. Smith View Post
Hi,

As you may know, a "goat" is any exercise or movement you dislike doing or like doing but are weak at, or both. A tenant of CrossFit, and many other exercise methods, is to work at improving these.

I like selecting exercises randomly by computer to force me to do my goats.

Drew Baye talks about "Dynamic Exercise Order" here http://baye.com/dynamic-exercise-order/ (safe for work, family, etc.) to do your goats.

DOE says that whatever exercise you performed the worst on in your current workout (however you define performance - seconds until failure, repetitions, level of effort, weight lifted, time, etc.), you do that exercise first in your next workout.

I created a spreadsheet that demonstrates DOE here http://www.statisticool.com/deo.xls (safe for work, family, etc.) that you may find useful.

Justin
Additionally, if anyone else has ideas for working on your goats, please share.

Justin
Old 11-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
Lucas King

Profile:
Re: Methods for working your goats, etc.

Thats a good idea Ill have to check it out! What Ive been doing is just to try to throw them into my WODs as often as possible (I have a lot though so its easier ).
Or I almost always do 2 skill/strength based exercises before my WODs so I try to focus on things I know that I need help with there as well!
Or what Im going to start doing monday is just focusing on doing a certain amount of an exercise throughout the day.
Ex: Im going to do 50 Hand Release pushups per day. I could do 20 in the morning 5 at noon 15 in a wod etc etc as long as I get it done!
Im not saying these are great ways or anything like that but thats what Im doing anyway.