CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #51
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:
Re: August: 'tabata everything' challange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron White View Post
I'm glad there are at least 2 people doing this with me. We did jumping jacks today. Linda wore me out lol. And the wife did better than me on this one.

Me-25/26/27/25/26/25/24/28=206
Wife-27/26/25/27/28/29/26/26=214
Ron,

This one might just be worse than burpees......Geez! Great work by the two of you, though!
Old 08-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #52
Ron White

Profile:

I thank you and depending on what Friday's WOD is I may do the Tabata burpees just for you.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #53
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Tuesday night was getting way too late while working on the work pc at work so I lifted one heavy set of DL and did tabata DL with 96 pounds

13-14-12-11-11-9-10-9 First set had some balance issues. Lower back was definitely sore afterwards and I'm sure will tighten up sometime tonight or Thursday. First 4 sets were in mixed grip one way and the last 4 the other mixed grip.

Last edited by Blair Robert Lowe : 08-12-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:35 PM   #54
Ted Apollo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Tuesday night was getting way too late while working on the work pc at work so I lifted one heavy set of DL and did tabata DL with 96 pounds

13-14-12-11-11-9-10-9 First set had some balance issues. Lower back was definitely sore afterwards and I'm sure will tighten up sometime tonight or Thursday. First 4 sets were in mixed grip one way and the last 4 the other mixed grip.

DL tabatas is as brutal as it gets. i did some calculating and you did #8544 of work without factoring in your one heavy set of DL's. how are you feeling? maybe you should answer that tomorrow?
Old 08-12-2009, 10:10 PM   #55
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

August Tabata Challenge: Tabata Push-Press
Used 65#
11/11/10/9/7/7/7/7 = 69
(Strict Tabata score of 7).
These started to get really difficult really quickly starting about cycle 4. I worked hard to keep the intensity and almost did not get up rep 7 on the last cycle. Good weight selection for these, I think!

Ron,

Thanks.......though you may not feel the same way after doing the Tabata Burpees.....

Last edited by Stephen R. Lampl : 08-12-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:15 PM   #56
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Honestly, I feel pretty good. That would be easily over 10000 pounds of work since I did 8 reps of the heavy beam which weighs 300ish. I was actually surprised but it sort of makes sense since I don't usually DL till after the gymnastics upper body/core stuff. I still think that was a good weight to do it with given the reppage. Using a heavier beam like 200ish probably would've ended up with half the reps maybe just more than that.

I was really expecting my lower back to be uber tight but it wasn't this morning. It might creep up tomorrow morning but maybe not at all.

I was lagging a little bit earlier but I think it was mainly due to lack of food. I thought I was going to go get dinner after coaching boy's team and I had to coach a girls class for another 2 hours. Some milk to tide me over before but I also tried to work on the work pc for about 2 hours.

Tonight I could probably do a metcon since last nights workout was light but I was thinking a 1.5-3mi run and maybe some MA.

Part of me was thinking just 1 set of 8 rounds of tabata may not be enough now and that's what I was thinking after the set. But it was like 2ish and I wanted to get home.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:05 AM   #57
Ted Apollo

Profile:

week 2: day 3 'tabata challenge' 24" box jumps- 10/8/9/7/6/6/7/9

good job everyone! although not as popular as the 'thruster challenge' this challenge is coming along nicely. i am getting alot of these tabata movements.

steven, nice job on the #65 push presses. i know the feeling in the late rounds when you mentally want to give it more, but the body just is not having it.

ron, i might join you tomorrow with the burpees. although i do kind of feel like doing bupree to pull ups also.

blair, that's good that your body responded well to the load.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:20 AM   #58
Ron White

Profile:

I guess it's just more in my fighters nature to give it my all when I don't have anything left. And really 4 minutes isn't that much for me.

And this challenge is definitely helping my gas tank lol. I feel amazing when I grapple. I'll let you guys know on Saturday how I feel after doing some actual MMA sparring.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #59
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I'm thinking about taking one of those beams on each shoulder and doing tabata BS. Rest with them on shoulders. Dunno, but that might be challenging whereas just one on my back (96lbs) is probably too light.

Yeah, not feeling anything today really. I figure the load was too light to be really intense at all so it was just metabolic basically. Kinda funny how the same beam is way easier to DL than thruster. Big difference.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:24 PM   #60
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Ok, so I could manage to hoist on beam per shoulder but they didn't balance at all as one end would cross and it was more an act of balancing them. So I went with one beam across my back (96lbs, 12 feet).

12-10-9-9-8-8-7-7 Bare in mind rest was standing with beam on back. I wanted to do something like tabata squats anyways.

I've got an idea that being able to do the tabata's with exercises where you can really rep high is what makes them so painful. Tabata Air Squats or V-ups or something like that use to just become the PAIN or stuff like tabata pull/push-up/etc.

I'm thinking these rounds of 6-12 are more strength-endurance rather than pure endurance rep ( based on rep schemes ) so that's why they don't hurt as bad right after or the next day.

I had wanted to do squats anyways but I just didn't think I could get a very good workout in running on 2hrs of sleep today ( no nap ).

Feel good, wonder if I will hate life tomorrow.