CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-12-2009, 07:47 AM   #1
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:
Fish oils and Vitamin E?

Are those of you who are supplementing with a lot of fish oil (1 gram+ per day) also supplementing Vitamin E? A couple of weeks ago, I read somewhere that it is critical to do so because the PUFA's in fish oil are prone to oxidize rapidly. E's anti-oxidant abilities counterbalance it. I can't recall where I first read it, but here are a couple of things I found today.

E is certainly cheap enough to add it as a safeguard, I think.

These snips are both from this link (WFS). They're from the 3rd and 5th studies. Most of the link has info on fish oil and vitamin e.

Dr. Jan Eritsland, a cardiologist at the Ulleval University Hospital, has just released a major study dealing with the safety of n-3 and n-6 PUFAs. Based on numerous reports published in the medical literature Dr. Eritsland concludes that a high intake of n-3 PUFAs reduces the risk for cardiovascular disease and heart attack and is entirely safe at least up to a level corresponding to 10% of the daily calorie intake. He does caution though that the intake of dietary antioxidants (especially vitamin E) needs to be increased if the PUFA intake is increased.

Fish oil and vitamin E go together
BELTSVILLE, MARYLAND. Fish oils are beneficial in the prevention of cancer and cardiovascular disease. They do, however, oxidize very easily and therefore add to the oxidant stress on the body. An experiment was recently carried out by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to see if an increased intake of vitamin E could counteract this detrimental effect of fish oils. Forty men aged 32 to 44 were involved. The men consumed a controlled diet for a total of 28 weeks. For the first 10 weeks they received placebo oil capsules (15 g/day), for the next 10 weeks they received fish oil capsules (15 g/day), and for the last 8 weeks they received the fish oil plus 200 mg of vitamin E (all-rac-alpha-tocopherol). The urinary excretion of peroxidation products (malondialdehyde) more than doubled when the fish oil capsules were introduced but then dropped by a factor of four when vitamin E was added. The vitamin E concentration in the red blood cells dropped very significantly when fish oil was ingested but more than recovered with the vitamin E supplement. It is concluded that the negative effects of fish oil consumption can be overcome by taking them together with vitamin E.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:19 AM   #2
Rene Forestier

Profile:
Re: Fish oils and Vitamin E?

Vit E is a common additive to Fish Oil supps for this reason...I use NutraSea or Kirkland and they both have it.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:

Yeah, the Carlson's liquid I use has E too. But only 1IU per serving on CLO and 10IU in the fish oil.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S Johnson View Post
Yeah, the Carlson's liquid I use has E too. But only 1IU per serving on CLO and 10IU in the fish oil.
Hmmm, the NutraSea and Kirkland doesn't have the Vit E content listed.

I use Green Pastures CLO and it lists "plant sterol blend anti-oxidant (soy free)".

Last edited by Rene Forestier : 05-12-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Isn't the Vitamin E in food enough? Almonds, olive oil... they have some, right?
Old 05-13-2009, 05:51 AM   #6
Adam Christiansen

Profile:

I just got done reading "A Week in the Zone" and in the end when he's talking about the supplements, he basically says that no one gets enough vitamin E.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:55 AM   #7
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
Isn't the Vitamin E in food enough? Almonds, olive oil... they have some, right?
Almonds have a relatively high amount. EVOO has some. Avocados do too. I haven't done enough research to say whether or not a diet high in those foods is enough to counter-balance supplementing with 3-6g of fish oil/day though.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
Pete Burrage

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Christiansen View Post
I just got done reading "A Week in the Zone" and in the end when he's talking about the supplements, he basically says that no one gets enough vitamin E.
Given the vitamin E/antioxidant discussion, I thought this article in today's NYT was interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/12/he...12exer.html?em

The original article (in PNAS no less, very well respected journal) is here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19433800

The study was done in healthy males, both pretrained and untrained groups, and the use of antioxidants (in this case Vit. C and E) decreased exercise-induced insulin sensitivity. This suggests that the ROS produced during exercise may lead to advantageous effects and additional antioxidants may block those positive effects.

From what I understand, there's data going both ways on this, just a little food for thought.

Last edited by Pete Burrage : 05-13-2009 at 01:36 PM.