CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 04-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #11
Dave Lemanczyk

Profile:
Re: Deadlift Form..

Your deadlift form looks spot on given the point of view. Remember to keep in mind that the deadlift is meant to be a slow, gradual lift from point A to point B. Make sure all the levers in your body represent a straight line to ensure the lowest possible % of injury. You can do this by keeping your hips, knees, and feet in one straight line. Allow your arms to come straight down to your sides and then onto the bar. This again creates the straightest and most direct path to the bar.

When you lift, push through the heels of your feet, look upwards, and keep your chest upward. Using a double overhand grip will enable you to develop a very positive grip gain from the exercise as well. In terms of your abdominal section, keep it tight during the exercise. Do not "suck it in", instead keep it tight. Lean away from braces, weight belts, and other forms of performance gear. In the beginning, you want to develop a body that is not relying on gear. Let me know if you ever have any other questions. From one Long Islander to another... good luck!

I personally find that bear hugging a sandbag for distance is a much safer practice. It represents a safer alternative to the deadlift. I like to see you working hard either way!
Old 04-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
Lou Cabales

Profile:

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...yTheSetUp1.mov

there are 3 videos here

you look a little soft on the set up but that could also have to do with light weight

also may be video but your but may be a little high again set up videos will help
Old 04-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #13
Nicole Ashman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lemanczyk View Post
Your deadlift form looks spot on given the point of view. Remember to keep in mind that the deadlift is meant to be a slow, gradual lift from point A to point B. Make sure all the levers in your body represent a straight line to ensure the lowest possible % of injury. You can do this by keeping your hips, knees, and feet in one straight line. Allow your arms to come straight down to your sides and then onto the bar. This again creates the straightest and most direct path to the bar.

When you lift, push through the heels of your feet, look upwards, and keep your chest upward. Using a double overhand grip will enable you to develop a very positive grip gain from the exercise as well. In terms of your abdominal section, keep it tight during the exercise. Do not "suck it in", instead keep it tight. Lean away from braces, weight belts, and other forms of performance gear. In the beginning, you want to develop a body that is not relying on gear. Let me know if you ever have any other questions. From one Long Islander to another... good luck!

I personally find that bear hugging a sandbag for distance is a much safer practice. It represents a safer alternative to the deadlift. I like to see you working hard either way!
Hey Dave,

Thank you for your reply... I just got back from the gym and did more dl's with heavier weight. Used a 95# and understood exactly what I need to do in order to maintain proper form when doing one. I got some insight from a lifter at the gym and he as well as my husband really showed me exactly what needs to be done... I am feeling good about my DL, yet I do know that I must improve to get it down 100%. He showed me how to properly push through my heels....

I appreciate the offer of your help, fellow long islander....
Old 04-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #14
Nicole Ashman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Cabales View Post
http://media.CrossFit.com/cf-video/C...yTheSetUp1.mov

there are 3 videos here

you look a little soft on the set up but that could also have to do with light weight

also may be video but your but may be a little high again set up videos will help
Hey Lou

You are right. I was a little soft in that video and a bit too high, we worked on that tonight and the lifter that was at the gym who offered some insight showed me how to overcome that

And thanks for the link I will definitely check them out....
Old 04-14-2009, 08:55 AM   #15
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

I respectfully disagree about her hips being too high. In fact they may be too low. If her hips were too high your shoulders would be out over the bar more. Instead, your scapula/shoulder is behind the bar ina ll but the first rep.

The rippetoe setup saves lives.

Approach the bar, and find your stance. The bar should be over mid foot, which likely will have your shins be 2 finger widths away from the bar. Your feet will likely be inside the knurling by an inch or so, with a very slight angle outward.

Next bend at the HIPS not at the knee and grab the bar just outside your legs. Make a conscious effort not to move the bar.

Push your shins forward until they meet the bar.

Squeeze your chest up up up, this DOESNT mean drop your hips. Put that lumbar into extension.

Take a neutral gaze, forward and slightly down. Dont look at your feet or the ceiling.

Take a deep breath, lock in your core and pull.

Do this with some weight (make sure its the correct heigth from the floor if the gym has those small 25lb plate), and make a video.

Oh, and tell jay i said hello
Old 04-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #16
Nicole Ashman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel desGarennes View Post
I respectfully disagree about her hips being too high. In fact they may be too low. If her hips were too high your shoulders would be out over the bar more. Instead, your scapula/shoulder is behind the bar ina ll but the first rep.

The rippetoe setup saves lives.

Approach the bar, and find your stance. The bar should be over mid foot, which likely will have your shins be 2 finger widths away from the bar. Your feet will likely be inside the knurling by an inch or so, with a very slight angle outward.

Next bend at the HIPS not at the knee and grab the bar just outside your legs. Make a conscious effort not to move the bar.

Push your shins forward until they meet the bar.

Squeeze your chest up up up, this DOESNT mean drop your hips. Put that lumbar into extension.

Take a neutral gaze, forward and slightly down. Dont look at your feet or the ceiling.

Take a deep breath, lock in your core and pull.

Do this with some weight (make sure its the correct heigth from the floor if the gym has those small 25lb plate), and make a video.

Oh, and tell jay i said hello
Hey Gabriel, thanks for the reply. Jay actually told me about rippetoe and that his videos/instruction are dead on for what I need to do in order to properly do a DL. I have gotten better with my DL and love doing them

Jay said what's up
Old 04-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #17
Jay Ashman

Profile:

whats up Gabe, long time.

yes, I agree, I focused on the Ripptoe setup as I found it to be the safest setup around, when I use it I am able to pull a pain free rep with no lower back issues the next day.

great advice.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:36 PM   #18
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

hey JAY!

that infamous thread about our green friend has disappeared into the mist
Old 04-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #19
Jay Ashman

Profile:

Quote: