CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-21-2006, 05:30 AM   #1
David Stegman

Profile:
What are the drawbacks to doing bodyweight only exercises?

I try to do most of the crossfit that is posted on the WOD's but due to limited equipment and time I rely on a lot of the bodyweight routines. I do incorportate dumbells when the WOD calls for it so I'm not 100% bodyweight.

I just wondered what are some of the main drawbacks to doing that sort of work out 3 or 4 times a week vs. some of the heavier lifting?
Old 06-21-2006, 06:51 AM   #2
Russ Greene

Profile:

You will sacrifce the power and strength development development of your hips and thighs, which is very important for nearly all sports and activities. That said you'll still be miles ahead of most everyone else.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:09 AM   #3
David Stegman

Profile:
Gotcha....I feel like I'm getting stronger but also feel I should work in more weighted routines. I know what you mean about the hips and thigh thing I could use some more leg power that's for sure.

Old 06-21-2006, 07:13 AM   #4
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Tabata squats are an ok substitute. Tabata vertical (or broad) jumping probably would help as well. Be sure to sprint some as well.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:58 AM   #5
Martin Schap

Profile:
Would it really be that big of a problem to get to a weight room? Even just once a week would see you making significant gains if you pair it with your bwt. workouts. If you got in every week and worked some deads, squats or oly lifting I bet you'd be surprised at the difference it makes. Just pick three moves or so, rotate through them and then change it up a little. If you absolutely can't get to a gym I'd suggest squirreling away some money until you can obtain a nice bar and bumpers.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:07 AM   #6
David Stegman

Profile:
I've got some garage space. I think I'll look into getting a basic bench/bar set that I could use just for deads, squats etc.

What do you guys suggest for that? Get an Oly bar with some weights and maybe some sort of squat rack? Or a standard bench/weight set?
Old 06-21-2006, 08:19 AM   #7
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Do the bodyweight stuff, then find some moderately heavy things to pick up for thrusters and stuff. I often don't have access to dumbells, barbells and the like. Make do with whatever is available. Whenver you have access focus a bit on the weighted exercises.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:48 AM   #8
Ryan Abbott

Profile:
If money's tight make a sandbag. Make a couple bags of different weight. Do deads, squats, shouldering, etc.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:00 AM   #9
George Brothers

Profile:
david
there is a good crossfit journal that you can backorder that talks about outfiting a home or garage gym. on that note, if you are buying equipment i would get a bar, some plates and squat rack. deadlifting, various squats and various oly lifts seem to always appear in the daily wods. my bench is significantly underused after starting crossfit. sandbags are great cause it is a much more functional lift than a loaded bar due to the size and lack of clear handhold. my personal experience is that i also get a lot of use out of a pullup bar, kettlebells, slam ball, rings, homemade wall ball, homemade plyobox, a big f#$%ing tire i flip and my biggest purchase, a concept 2 rower.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:32 AM   #10
David Stegman

Profile:
Thanks for the tips! I think I'll look into a decent squat rack with bar and plates for starters. That way I can incorporate some of those lifts into my bodyweight routine. I'm sure that would help my overall performance vs. bodyweight/dumbells only.