CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
"Friends, we suffered a great loss in the strongman community last evening. The Sequim Crew was doing what they do. Training hard and particularly training Jesse for the WSM contest in Anaheim. He died quickly and painlessly.

The squat set was as follows:
230kg x 8
190kg x 8
150kg x 8
110kg x 8
70kg x 8
Followed immediately by:
600# tire flip
265# stone load
All of this was done with no rest between sets. Rack, pull, go
At the completion of these sets Jesse laid on his back, on the cold floor like normal. Breck and Sarge noticed that his breathing was laborious. Jesse became incoherent and stopped breathing. We administered cpr, called 911 and continued to resusitate until paramedics arrived. They set up the defibrillator, epinephrin, to no avail. He was worked on for over an hour between Breck, Sarge and the paramedics.

These are the facts as it happened. We are deeply saddened by this tragic loss. We appreciate your support and prayers.

The Sequim Crew"

R.I.P. Jesse. This is just awful.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
I heard about this earlier today, but not the details ... still in shock.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:33 PM   #3
Boris Terzic

Profile:
I heard earlier myself on another board. This is a real shame.

My condolences got to Jesse's family and friends.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:19 AM   #4
Benjamin W Herbert

Profile:
Wow...I've watched this guy before and he's an amazing athlete and quite a competitor. He will be missed:-(
Old 07-27-2007, 05:39 PM   #5
George Shelton

Profile:
I live about 45 minutes from Sequim. In 2001 i actually sold him a pair of York bumpers. I had the opportunity to meet him a couple more times since then.
Always seemed to be up beat, never seemed to have a big ego. He will be missed.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:06 PM   #6
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
I was shocked also, but after reading what happened, I think CFers need to evaluate how they "stop" their workouts. So many times I see videos where guys and gals flop onto the floor, gasping for air, their heart seemingly beating thru their chest. This is bad for your heart, putting more strain on it. I would like some cardiologists to chime in on this, because I can't remember the medical specifics, but I was told that by walking around after your workout, the heart can recover better, but if you just lay down, there is a greater load put on your heart, and heart arythmias (sp) can occur, resulting in sudden death. When race horses get done with their workouts, they have people walk the horses around to recover. I would guess that they learned this thru trail and error, when some horse died after standing around after hard workouts.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:44 PM   #7
Mark Konen

Profile:
Good thoughts Tom. I agree. For years after a tough workout, I would always walk it off. Since starting Crossfit, I would hit the deck after a hard metcon workout and this was the case today. For some reason though, I got up after about 20 seconds and walked it off and felt like I recovered quicker and it just felt safer. As I was lying on the deck, it just did not seem like the best thing I should have been doing at the moment, and this was before hearing of Jesse's passing.

I too, would like to hear what the medical community has to say about this.

To Jesse's family, we mourn your tragic loss and rest in peace, Jesse.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:26 AM   #8
John Frazer

Profile:
How awful to lose an athlete like that.

I've tried to resist the floor-flop since a sub-30 bout with "Linda" (scaled weights) where lying on the floor seemed to increase my heart rate. It was already through the roof, now it was heading for the stratosphere. Walking back and forth like a zombie seems to work just as well.

This would be an excellent subject for a CF Journal article.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:55 AM   #9
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
Thanks for your responses!

I don't know any cardiologist-CFers, but I'm sure there should be some CFer who knows one that has experience with high intensity exercise and the heart's recovery after a bout of it.

The article idea is great, just like the previous one on Rhabdo!

Tom

p.s. as a firefighter/EMT I have performed CPR/DeFib on dozens of people[the Paramadics we work with intubate and give IV drugs while we "work" the patient.], some babies and young people. Most times we are surrounded by family and/or friends. I am so sorry that Jesse's friends had to see that. Those images really stay with you. I hope they get some help and support in dealing with this tragedy.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:16 AM   #10
Kellee Rassau

Profile:
Tom - I agree completely. I'm just a gal who's been a gym rat for the past 10 years, and I walk it out almost always after a hard workout. I thought that was the "cool down" a person is supposed to do, but that's just my method. Other people's results may vary.