CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:00 PM   #1
Celio Silva

Profile:
Greetings everyone,

As part of my homework regarding the thread topic I couldn't resist picking yall brain about it.

Aside from what is required by CF, what other things (on the legal side) are involved in opening & running an affiliate?

What are good resources for answers to my question? (I am in California BTW)

I've used the search engine and found some excellent discussions, but not exactly addressing this thread's topic, and given the HUGE amount of posts, it gets pretty overwhelming to dig through.

In case you're looking at my registered date and wondering how under the blue sky is this guy talking about opening & running a CF facility when he just joined the community, fret not:biggrin:! I am just doing some homework and exploring possibilities:stirthepot:. I know value when I see it (and in the case of CF, feel it:yahoo:) and CF is something I would have great delight in associating myself with.

If this were to materialize it wouldn't be for another 8 months - 1 year, when I have allocated the necessary resources and brought myself to phenomenal shape and instruction level (I wouldn't have otherwise), so like I said, fret not:msn-wink:.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Ty
Old 05-26-2007, 05:44 AM   #2
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Good use of smiley's....

oh yeah what is your question again?
Old 05-27-2007, 07:21 AM   #3
Damon Stewart

Profile:
I've been approved as an affiliate and am in the process of getting everything set up. Here's the short list:

1. Incorporate or form LLC
2. Register name with state (possibly Utah only)
3. Create waiver & membership app
4. Obtain facility insurance
5. Obtain trainer insurance
6. Get a local business license
7. Fill out SS-4, get EIN for business, if you do yourself make sure to elect to be taxed as a partnership or your LLC could be a C-corp. If I hadn't had attorneys/CPA's do this for me before I would have had one do it this time.
8. Set up bank account
9. Set up chart of accounts in Quickbooks or other bookkeeping program.
10. Order equipment for facility (Jon Gilson has been a great resource for me.)

In addition I'd add lease space, get CF certified, learn to do and coach the lifts of CF, create a medical emergency plan for your facility, set up a billing system (auto-pay I hope for me), if you're using a contract have an attorney review it, and what seems like a thousand other little things.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:54 AM   #4
Celio Silva

Profile:
It sure does Damon. Thanks a bunch...

I think I remeber reading somewhere that you're going to have BJJ as well. That's the way to go man! BJJ & CF go hand-in-hand, and having the matted area, you can implement all types of classes: Kickboxing, Taekwondo, Yoga, you name it... It's great for your clients & great for your business. That's precisely what I have in mind (just don't tell anyone in my area just yet:msn-wink:). I also recall you having a pretty good size area. Go for it man! I wish you great success!!!:080402gudl_prv:
Old 05-27-2007, 07:47 PM   #5
Brian Yoak

Profile:
Thanks for the info Damon. I just was approved as an affiliate also, and your information will be tremendously helpful as things get rolling her in Northeastern Ohio.

www.crossfitlegacy.blogspot.com
Old 05-27-2007, 08:14 PM   #6
Skip Chase

Profile:
Good list, Damon. I would also add, CPR/first aid cert.

Congrats, Brian. Welcome to the community.

www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com
Old 05-28-2007, 09:37 AM   #7
Chris Spealler

Profile:
Another question on this topic. I'm just about ready to start a Crossfit affiliate but the big thing I need now is a waiver or liability form for clients to fill out. Is this something that most of you have gotten from an attorney or is there a standard out there that crossfit gyms are using. Any suggestions or examples would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:08 PM   #8
Drew Raymond

Profile:
Good Afternoon Gentlemen,
Hey thanks for the heads up Damon I am actually trying to get everything in line to open a CrossFit here in Baton Rouge, LA. The good thing is my partner is a Tax Attorney so as we get farther into the business side of things I will post any new info for I get. Thanks, have a wonderful CrossFit Day.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:22 AM   #9
William Henniger

Profile:
Chris,

Shoot me an email, I have a pretty solid waiver if you are interested.

I would add to your list, have your attorney review your lease. I would have been in bad shape had I not done so.

We also went for an abated rent for the first 3 months with an exit strategy. We put a dollar figure on the lease if we wanted to move out or if the worst case scenario happened. There is also a possibility of negotiating a "Good Guy" clause

Good Guy Clause. This is a form of personal Guarantee whereby the guarantor undertakes to pay any unpaid rent so long as the tenant remains in possession of the premises. It is therefore less onerous than a full guarantee where the guarantor undertakes to pay the rent for the full term of the lease whether or not the tenant remains in possession.

Hope this helps

Bill

bill@roguefitness.com
Old 07-24-2007, 02:35 AM   #10
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Welcome to all the new CF affiliates!