CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-12-2007, 08:52 AM   #1
Ronnie Ashlock

Profile:
Saw this link on the P&B website and think this is probably the coolest home project one could undertake. I plan on making these some day soon. I really like the design. Thought some of you (Lincoln, Eugene) might want to take a stab at building these too.

http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~simonton/wl/jerkboxes/

Work and family safe.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:02 AM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
What is a jerk box used for? Working just a portion of the OL?
Old 03-12-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
Ronnie Ashlock

Profile:
Mainly jerk practice, like seen here:

http://www.mikesgym.org/gallery/vide...20athletes.mov

These are adjustable-height boxes. You could also lower them and do snatch pulls or clean pulls with heavier-than-you-are-used-to-using weights. Basically, these are high-speed shrugs in either the snatch or clean grip (usually done with straps) and you come up off your heels on to your toes and then drop back down to your heels. Helps you overload and still work on the explosive part of the final pull. Lincoln or someone else here can probably explain it better than me.

I also think you could sub these boxes for squat racks, if you don't already have some. I suppose you could also use them to do plyo jumps. There are probably more uses for them. I think the adjustable, sturdy construction lends itself to a lot of experimentation.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:56 AM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Pulls from blocks are used to work on on the second pull of the lifts, without worrying about executing the pull-under. Pulls are a bit controversial, as without proper coaching there is a tendancy of overuse of the arms and pulling too long. They are however an excellent way to work on explosive extension of the knees & hips.

While jerk boxes can indeed be handy and multipurpose, I haven't used them much. Each section weighs quite a bit, by necessity. The height isn't easy to adjust and they take up a lot of room.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:52 PM   #5
Ronnie Ashlock

Profile:
Linc, thanks for chiming in. I knew you'd have some good things to add.

I am fortunate enough to have a pretty big workout area and shouldn't have a problem with the jerk box footprint, but it's good to know it can be an issue. Those with already limited available space and only a marginal interest in Olympic weightlifting will not have a huge use for these things. I hadn't really thought about that or about the weight of each box extension but I can see each piece being pretty heavy. The things look like clothes dresser or a desk.

I just started doing pulls recently and I really like them - but they were hard to do right initially for the very reason you explained - too much arm pull. I had some more experienced lifters work with me on it and that has helped a great deal. I got things coordinated and the arms just hang and go along for the ride now. Pulls are great little drills if done correctly and a real wallop on your system - especially when the weight gets heavy.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:22 PM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I got things coordinated and the arms just hang and go along for the ride now.
Perfect.

I think jerk boxes would be a fine addition if the intent was to adjust the height only occasionally. The large surface area also works well for tall box jumps - hip height or higher.

Here you can see a picture of some pulling blocks at Peaks Weightlifting/Crossfit Flagstaff:
http://crossfitflagstaff.typepad.com...d/img_6535.jpg
I don't like the big arched cutout in the pulling blocks. If you drop the weights on them, they go flying. I prefer a relatively flat surface, with just enough edge on them to keep the plates from rolling off. A flat pulling block can also be used for box jumps, step ups, or a box for shorter people to use at the pullup station. Here are my pulling blocks:
http://crossfitsedona.com/Images/PullingBlock.jpg

Here are the jerk boxes at Peaks:
http://crossfitflagstaff.typepad.com...d/dsc00109.jpg
Note that the jerk box sections are three layers of two by fours, which makes them 4.5" tall each. That's more adjustable than Les Simonton's boxes, but much heavier.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:50 PM   #7
Ronnie Ashlock

Profile:
Great resources and nice comparison between the box types, Lincoln. I'll have to think about which way I will go, because I was leaning towards making a multipurpose pull and jerk box, but if it's hard to strip down and then put back together, then I'm more inclined to go with Simonton's design. It'll mainly just be me using it, so I may not need so much adjustability. One thing is for sure, though, I won't go with the cut-out scoop. Too much work and if causes the bar to go flying if dropped, then I will gladly not not invest the effort.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
Colin Darling

Profile:
Re: Jerk Box construction

I know this is an old thread, but I was just looking through the links posted here, and had an idea. It occurred to me that if adjustability and weight are both considerations, would it make sense to combine the two designs? Have the box design for coarse height adjustments, and then some variation of the 2x4 layers for finer adjustments? Just a thought...
Old 11-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #9
Albert Sappington

Profile:
Re: Jerk Box construction

Yeah thats what I did for mine. I built 5 boxes for each side using the 10 inch height then made 1 for each side using a 6 inch height then 1 for each side using 4 inch height. It gives a good amount of adjustment since I use mine for squat safety spotters and box jumps.