CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #61
Michael Dries

Profile:
Re: are power cleans useful for the majority of lifters?

To the OP. I just watched your videos. I'm not going to say anything new about form except this...

you are using bumpers, on a plywood floor. Why aren't you dropping the weight? do you see your neck whip lash on the way down? Do you think that might have something to do with your trap pain?

Are you still lowering the weight in this way at heavier loads?
Old 05-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #62
Seth Leaman

Profile:

I didn't read the whole thread so I might be repeating whats been said:

I stopped doing power cleans a while back due to nerve pain as a result of a broken clavicle years ago that healed weird. I would get a shooting pain through my arm that lasted for hours or days. I replaced power cleans with box jumps, weighted box jumps, and box squat box jumps. You are still training explosive hip extension. Unless you enjoy doing power cleans, or want to get really good at them, I see no reason why you MUST do them.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #63
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
I'm sure Rip will find this amusing, especially since I am running linear progression using the Greyskull LP model

blah blah

etc.

/long post on reasons I *heart* Rip
I just meant you talk like him.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #64
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
I just meant you talk like him.
Well, yeah. That too.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #65
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew G. Greenberg View Post
Weightlifting is kind of like martial arts, in a sense. You work really hard for four or five years and get a black belt. Then, your instructor tells you that you are ready to start learning martial arts.
FWIW, weightlifting is WAY easier than martial arts. The bar doesn't hit back, for starters...

And for that reason, I get impatient with people who abandon cleans -- or any other Crossfit movement -- because they can't do it well. If you can't stick with *that* long enough to get decent at it, how will you handle something that actually *is* hard?

Which is not to say that the OP (or anyone else) should necessarily do power cleans. Just that the need for a modicum of technique is not a good reason to abandon them.

Katherine
Old 05-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #66
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
FWIW, weightlifting is WAY easier than martial arts. The bar doesn't hit back, for starters...

And for that reason, I get impatient with people who abandon cleans -- or any other Crossfit movement -- because they can't do it well. If you can't stick with *that* long enough to get decent at it, how will you handle something that actually *is* hard?

Which is not to say that the OP (or anyone else) should necessarily do power cleans. Just that the need for a modicum of technique is not a good reason to abandon them.

Katherine
Yes, thank you - this is what I have been trying to say.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #67
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Power cleans are an excellent explosive exercise as long as one is doing some type of full squatting(back, front, overhead, or any combination) within the program.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:34 AM   #68
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Degenaro View Post
Excuse me if I offend...

But please say that was sarcasm because it gets a LOT more competent than that.
I would like to highlight how important having a good Oly coach is:

2010: http://www.youtube.com/namarang#p/u/116/s_fEbtA2ZdY (WFS)

Technique work from yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GemYr...ature=youtu.be (WFS)

If people can't see the important differences in those two videos (and also see that I still have a LOT of work to do), then perhaps they need an Oly coach.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:04 AM   #69
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

Big difference. I like it, just don't hesitate on that initial pull and wait longer over it (although I'm sure your coach has said this).
Old 05-28-2011, 05:16 AM   #70
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Degenaro View Post
Big difference. I like it, just don't hesitate on that initial pull and wait longer over it (although I'm sure your coach has said this).
Thanks! In defense of my initial pull, I will say that I was only working positioning there and not speed. We had done about 20 reps from below the knee and then moved to the floor for about 10 reps, and he stood next to me and made me bring the bar up my legs as slowly as possible while he cued me. I put a tiny bit of speed on the bar on that rep, and that's what I ended up with. And, yes, staying over the bar is kind of an issue . Glenn is a big fan of working from below the knee for me, and I'm sure you can see why.

But, yeah, I am forever on my toes, and it is true that my snatch is ridiculously slow...but usually not my pull off the floor...my hips and my pull under the bar are super slow. So slow that it makes me want to punch a baby. Yesterday was all about getting me off of my toes. We widened my stance and did all of those reps from below the knee, and it worked.

However, I no longer have a CrossFit power snatch like I do in that first video, so...

ETA: It should be noted that I was a fully qualified CrossFit L1 trainer in that first video.

Last edited by Tamara Cohen : 05-28-2011 at 05:20 AM.