CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #41
Troy Becker

Profile:
Re: are power cleans useful for the majority of lifters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I wasn't going to say it, but since you went there first...

Assuming that an exercise you personally have trouble with is useless is very tempting. However, it's rarely true.

Katherine
Indeed, no one ever has trouble with curls.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:13 PM   #42
Terry Gibbs

Profile:

As having some OL ability gives a little cred on these boards, I PCed 120kgs at 76.5bwt when 19, and working a 40 hr week job and doing a degree at night.

Could train 2 x week. Once at a OL gym and once in parents garage. In garage did very heavy cheat rows. During that period bwt stayed same PC went from 102.5 to the 120. I credit the improve from the cheat rows and heavy SLD.

Have done PCs every now and then since. In 2009 entered world masters and PCed 110 with virtually no dip.

My personal belief is they help with my upper back, at times for a few weeks, but have much better ways of developing power, without the drain that I find PCs give me.

Give me too little for the effort involved. That said I no longer compete in OL (for now) . Think they are sport specific ( and that effects how they are performed).

OL pulls (not how they are taught today but how they were taught in the 60's) and speed pulls are better for power...but that is my opinion and if you are doing OL, then you have to do them

interesting
Old 05-27-2011, 02:58 AM   #43
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew G. Greenberg View Post
I myself have been cleaning for about four years and am still learning how to do it well.
This made me chuckle.

I mean, it's frankly amazing to me that I am not perfect at cleaning (or jerking or snatching) after 8 months of weightlifting...
Old 05-27-2011, 03:04 AM   #44
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

People need to stop thinking that the Olympic lifts are hard to learn. They're fairly easy if you have someone competent at teaching them, just like a squat.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:40 AM   #45
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
You sound more and more like Rip every day.
I'm sure Rip will find this amusing, especially since I am running linear progression using the Greyskull LP model with high bar squats at the moment. In fact, when I was training on Monday, someone walked into the gym and said, "WHAT?! I thought you were a Rippetoe girl. What are you doing high bar squatting?"

But, I am busy trying something new. I've run LP with low bar squats, and it worked really, really well. Most people in weightlifting say that a high bar squat transfers to the Olympics lifts better than a low bar squat. Rather than dismissing that idea outright, I am doing the unthinkable and actually trying it myself before I pass judgment.

The reason I referenced those pages in Starting Strength is simple. Those are 36 pages that have been written specifically about power cleans, their importance in a strength training program, and how to execute them. 36 pages. And, if anyone reading this still has questions about power cleans, then that person is a fool if they don't go buy the book after this discussion.

So, yeah, I like Rip, I like his books, I think his website is an amazing resource, I'm a Starting Strength Coach, and I'm even going to hang out for part of his seminar in Atlanta in a few weeks. But, I don't do everything the way Rip would have me do it (ask him about my pull off the floor on my cleans and snatches, although that is also something I am experimenting with). And, I read books by many different people, and I go to lots of seminars, and I hang out with people who don't like Rip or his ideas, and I have the audacity to try new things.

If you (and by this I mean the collective "you") take the time to peruse Rip's site and all of the videos and articles that are available there (and perhaps even torture yourself by reading his forums), then you might change your mind about what you think Rip preaches. And, I guarantee that if Rip has a particular way of doing something, then that means he has tried it another way as well, and he came to the conclusion that the other way didn't work.

/long post on reasons I *heart* Rip
Old 05-27-2011, 06:22 AM   #46
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Degenaro View Post
People need to stop thinking that the Olympic lifts are hard to learn. They're fairly easy if you have someone competent at teaching them, just like a squat.
i was taught by an CF L-1 certified coach, doesn't get more competent than that...

i'll hold off on the PC's for the duration of this program and hope my trap heals up, once that's done maybe i'll seek out some better coaching on the movement and try it again.

thanks for the replies
Old 05-27-2011, 07:09 AM   #47
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
i was taught by an CF L-1 certified coach, doesn't get more competent than that...
Excuse me if I offend...

But please say that was sarcasm because it gets a LOT more competent than that.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:25 AM   #48
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Degenaro View Post
Excuse me if I offend...

But please say that was sarcasm because it gets a LOT more competent than that.
yeah that green font was worked out as the sarcasm font in one of the stuff and nonsense threads so i went with it.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:11 AM   #49
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

Have you done anything that Starrett posts on the mobility wod? That stuff is great for fixing many mobility woes.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:36 AM   #50
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
This made me chuckle.

I mean, it's frankly amazing to me that I am not perfect at cleaning (or jerking or snatching) after 8 months of weightlifting...
Weightlifting is kind of like martial arts, in a sense. You work really hard for four or five years and get a black belt. Then, your instructor tells you that you are ready to start learning martial arts.

Weightlifting is the same way. You will have to spend at least five or so years practicing the movement before you can start to understand it. Once you have got those years of practice down, then you can really start to learn.

This is why I do not understand people who get frustrated with weightlifting after such incredibly short time periods. It takes YEARS of consistent practice to get good at cleans or whatever. Not six weeks. Not eight months. Not a year.

I wish more people understood this. But I think this is a thing you have to be taught.

So to the OP, if you stop cleaning because you have a trap tweak or whatever, then I don't think you understand what "training" means!