CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 04-15-2011, 11:34 PM   #1
Nathan Jansen

Profile:
Clean/Snatch help

Hi gang,

I cleaned 225 about a year ago, but not since. I can't quite get the bar racked and am losing it forward as seen in the clip below. Also, on just about every snatch attempt I am landing forward. Not sure what I am missing. Thanks for the help. Nate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mBBCiv-JkE
Old 04-16-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
John Kaupp

Profile:
Re: Clean/Snatch help

Did you go 185 and jump right to 225 or were there clips you just cut out (same for snatch)? When getting close to your max, make smaller jumps. You can make some bigger jumps with lifts like deadlift, squats or pressing where you are not trying to tire yourself out, but it is difficult to make those big of jumps percentage wise in the Oly lifts.

Clean & snatch- Set your back more. Squeeze your lats back and down.
Your hips are coming up first, causing a horizontal hip thrust, causing the bar to loop out, which may be the cause of you jumping back. Be slower off the floor and finish with speed. Keep the bar in tight. Feet can move out from jumping to landing (lateral) but not forward or backward.

On the clean, looks like you are gripping the bar too much as it is getting to the shoulders. Let the bar roll back onto your fingertips and push that bar into your throat. If you are choking yourself, you are doing it right.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

Stop forcing your arms straight, long and loose, you're way too tense here.

Set your back tighter in extension like John said.

Get off your heels at the start, you're balanced too far backwards.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

On the snatch you are:
Yanking the bar off the ground
Shooting the hips
Jumping back but not bringing the bar with you

Instead, you should squeeze the bar off the ground, keep the back angle constant, and land under the bar. Yeah and set the back better at the start.

Still, not too bad.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
Nathan Jansen

Profile:

Thanks everyone...Its amazing to look at what you are suggesting and instantly see it.

@John...I went 185, 205, 215, 225...I have really been trying to keep my shoulders and hips yoked together at the start of the lift...obviously still having trouble with hips coming up first. I am I right to try and start with hips higher to begin with? Or will a slower, more controlled pull from the ground improve it alone? Thanks for pointing out my grip during the catch...I think that really cost me on that left. I know for a fact that I can not maintain a full grip with the barbell racked...something had to give. Good eye.

@Brian...yes sir...arms are way to tense...I think that is an overshoot from my previous bad habit with pulling early...I'll throttle that down and get more relaxed. I am surprised to see how flat/flexed my lumbar spine is...that is something I thought was going a lot better for me. I think its from a lack of hip mobility...tight hamstrings pulling my pelvis posteriorly...good point to improve on. Thank you.

@Lincoln...I still have it in my mind that I need to be fast off the ground, faster through the middle...but you are right...I need to take a little off the start and save it for my pockets. Thanks for the feed back!

Unfortunately, this is the only place for me to lift overhead as my garage is only 7.5 feet tall or so...its not too obvious in these clips, but the driveway is not flat. Not by any means...I'm sure this is contributing somehow...oh well, constantly varied, right?

Thanks everyone again! Much appreciated! Nate
Old 04-17-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
John Kaupp

Profile:

From the ground, focus on being more controlled off the start with everything coming together. Once you can start getting the bar, hips and shoulders synced, work on getting the hips down a little. I say this because of your ability to keep your back tight right now. The more you drop your hips down, the more stretch it will be putting on your back. As the flexibility and coordination of the ground get better, start moving the hips down slightly.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:37 AM   #7
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:

On the clean, hips a bit lower at the start, knees a bit more forward, and weight a bit more forward on the foot. knees push back and weight transfers to the rear of the foot as you raise the bar to the knee. then squeeze the bar off the floor and keep the hips and shoulders coming up at more or less the same rate.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #8
Scott Wisuri

Profile:

i cant critique your form as i am no expert, however i espcially liked the random people in the background. i wonder what the lady on the steps behind you at :57 was thinking. did you know the girl getting out of the jeep at 1:59? she looked taken back. lol!!
...anyway i just found that comical.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
Nathan Jansen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wisuri View Post
i cant critique your form as i am no expert, however i espcially liked the random people in the background. i wonder what the lady on the steps behind you at :57 was thinking. did you know the girl getting out of the jeep at 1:59? she looked taken back. lol!!
...anyway i just found that comical.
haha, Thanks Scott...

I run a free CrossFit "club" out of my garage for students at my school. Never know what you are going to see when you show up!
Old 05-05-2011, 02:43 AM   #10
Lan Halbert

Profile:

Are you lifting on a flat surface? If not your form may be compromised. In the last lift the surface looked uneven.