CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
William Simpson

Profile:
Squatting Advice (Mirrors & Lowering Speed)

#1) The gym I workout in has mirrors everywhere. I've been working on my squat technique and have no clue where to focus (look) while squatting in front of a mirror. I'm a person that normally slouches and I feel that if I look down I tend to slouch even more (ie, not stick my chest out like I should).

Please give me a good or the best focal point to use when squatting in front of a mirror. I find myself looking at my knees in the mirror most of the time to be sure they aren't caving in and to check to be sure I hit parallel or below.

#2) I used to think that the slower I lowered the weight while squatting, the better. After watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1DJ8odNf-M (WFS) I thought that maybe it would be better to speed up my descent. I tried it and it made my lift MUCH easier than normal although I still don't think I'm dropping down nearly as quickly as he is. Should I continue to lower as slow as possible, go as quickly as Pat (damn, he's a beast) or somewhere in between. Thoughts, coaching, advice?

Thank you!
Old 02-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Re: Squatting Advice (Mirrors & Lowering Speed)

1. Focus your eyes on a point above your head, on the wall behind through the mirror, but don't crane your neck upwardsYou should feel your knees and feel your depth without looking in the mirror.

2. Strive for the speed you see in the vid, as long as you are controlled and your posterior chain is activated.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:51 AM   #3
Lee A Koboroff

Profile:

My gym is very similar - I've found that keeping eye contact with myself in the mirror forces me to keep good posture and keep my chest out
Old 02-28-2011, 02:55 AM   #4
Harish Shetty

Profile:

Best way to squat is don't do it in front of the mirror, feel your depth.

tell some one to take a video of you while squatting.this will fix your problem.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:53 AM   #5
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

I agree with Lee. If you have no choice but to squat in front of a mirror just keep eye contact with yourself. It isn't stationary at all BUT it is moving with you throughout the entire squat so it will not throw you off.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
Keith Miller

Profile:

I've recently had this problem as the gym I was lifting at relocated to a fitness center atmosphere where two of the platforms face mirrors. Really messed me up on snatches and squats.

What I do is try and focus just above my head. I tried the eye focus on yourself thing and it didn't work very well.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Focusing on yourself when squattins works ok, but not so much when snatching and cleaning. When focusing up, just be sure not to crane your neck upwards.

Has anyone thought to just turn your back on the mirror and face the other way? ;-)
Old 02-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Carpenter View Post
Focusing on yourself when squattins works ok, but not so much when snatching and cleaning. When focusing up, just be sure not to crane your neck upwards.

Has anyone thought to just turn your back on the mirror and face the other way? ;-)
At the place I was at it didn't matter, there were mirrors in both directions, unless I turned sideways to the platform!!

BUT, it doesn't matter because the new place I will be lifting doesn't have mirrors!!
Old 02-28-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

Tape a piece of paper to the mirror. Look at that. A piece of athletic tape could work as well. Clean up when finished.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:02 AM   #10
William Simpson

Profile:

Thanks for the advice! It's all better than the current way I'm squatting.

Mirrors are all over the room so turning around wouldn't work. Think I might start by using the piece of tape. I'll write "look at this while squatting".

I'm pretty much the only person in the place that "attempts" squats, deadlifts and O-lifts. Most other people just kind of look at me funny and stay out of my way unless it's to inquire about my Vibrams.

It's kind of nice though compared to other "fitness centers" where I've heard horror stories about no grunting or deadlifting policies. The staff here see's how hard I work and leaves me the hell alone except for an occasional compliment or to ask my thoughts on why I train like I do.