CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:04 AM   #11
Jenny Butler

Profile:
Re: Thoughts on Crossfit attitude / what makes CF valuable / etc

Really Jason? I think it's a great thread. Good arguments on both sides. It's good to have things like this brough up. Keeps it interesting.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #12
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason David View Post
your NFL comparison shows your complete lack of understanding of what CrossFit is...

This thread should be closed...you aren't 'on to something'..
agreed.

This exact thing has been asked and answered several times.

OP: you are missing the point of CF. It isn't about specializing. It is about being ready for any challenge put before you.

How many people who went to the 2009 Games do you think had driven a 4' steak into the ground after being on an erg? How about running a 7k on a dirt trail with several messy hill climbs - and followed less than an hour later with 20 ME dead lifts?

It is all about this: here is a WOD that will be done for time. 3-2-1 go!

May the person who is most Generally Physically Prepared for this challenge (or these challenges) WIN~
Old 11-19-2009, 08:37 AM   #13
Jay Adams

Profile:

I think that CF One World's slogan "Fit as F%&K" describes CF better than anything. I play D1 sports in college and I was a great athlete and very fit through high school and into college. The average person does not work out at the same level as competitive athletes and this is where I think CF makes its greatest contribution. If you do CF the way it is supposed to be done you can get, and stay, wildly in shape. Adding CF to my program has cranked my fitness up, and in a much shorter time. Most guys on my team to not do CF, but are super fit. In an athletic endeavor such as running, jumping, pushing pulling they are way above average. The workouts are long and boring. I would rather work GPP with CF. I think that the entire elite argument and the "we are dominant" ect, do more to hurt the image of CF than to help. I have seen endless guys with weak lifts talk allot of s%&t in the name of CF and they are made to look foolish. Guys showing up at a 5K and acting arrogant and smack talking while running 26+ minutes. MOST crossfitters show up, do well and are cool but there is a growing group of "fake tough" and "fake strong" guys who just don't do allot for CF in general. I think rather than endless arguments about Mark Twight and "If Michael Phelps do crossfit" and "what about sealfit" and "some obscure athlete out of his prime dose crossfit" do nothing to promote fitness, health or CF. The strongest performers I know and the most successful affiliates are NEVER on any board arguing over monkey bar gym and "what would LaDainian Tomlinson's Fran be". If you do CF you will be WAY WAY WAY above average and be MUCH MUCH fitter than most other people who work out. I think that CF being the dominate GPP program out of the box has pretty much been proven. It is, and if people could just leave it at that. You will never be as strong as a powerlifter or as fast as a good marathoner, or even a professional athlete with CF alone. You will be way stronger than a marathon runner and way after than a power lifter Not everyone in a non-crossfit gym is wasting his time and doing days of curls, many are super fit and super strong. The guys at the games are beasts, but comparing them to other athletes can be unfair. How would Spealler do on a NFL combine? Better than me, but not as good as pro bowl players. "Fit as "Fu%#" people miss the whole point of CF (IMHO) average non competitive athletes can get to a level of fitness that seems to far surpass the levels that any other program intended for average people. Average people can reach a level of fitness that is anything but average. Most crossfitters would take a beating by a UFC fighters, but most could hang in there from a cardio standpoint. They are WAY FIT! In my mind elite athletes and genetic freaks will do well with even a mildly good program. CF is a way that the everyday person can achieve monster levels of fitness. Seals have always been fit and hardcore. CF will help anyone, but the people I see having the greatest advantage with CF is the people who were never elite athlete and never had any great coaches and trainers train them. I don't like or dislike the quote in the OP, I just think it can be a bit much for people. If the guys from the games went to Ninja Warrior or an NBDL camp, would they dominate? Not really a good crossfitter went to Ninja Warrior and did not do well at all. The point is that the person getting picked up at NBDL camps and winning Ninja Warrior would be as out of their element at the games as a crossfiter is at their specialty. I wanted to NOT get into this post, but I hear more and more from friends “I love crossfit, but hate crossfitters”. I think some of the newer guys just miss the point and are trying to beat everyone up over it. The point is not to be an elite athlete; it is to be AS FIT AS AN ELITE ATHLETE! NOT AS GOOD AT THEIR INDIVIDUAL SPORTS!
Old 11-19-2009, 09:27 AM   #14
Tom Seryak

Profile:

We must make the distinction between general and specific fitness!!! The problem with comparing CrossFit general fitness "athletes" to any other athlete is that you are comparing general to specific. It doesn't work as OP mentioned.

Someone help me out here. Is there another GPP program out there available to the mainstream public that aims towards general fitness? No, P90x doesn't count, it aims for appearance, not fitness. Is there a program out there that would agree with Glassman's definition of fitness but has a prescription other than CVFMHI? This is the only way that anyone can compare CrossFit to something else: 2 different programs that share the same aim (real general fitness) and definition for general fitness (IWCABTAMD), but differ in the prescription for achieving general fitness. Maybe Gym Jones? I don't even know if that works, since Twight has been vocal about training for specific attributes throughout training cycles.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:41 AM   #15
Katrina A. Burton

Profile:

[quote=Dennis Murphree;698466]
Katrina: "I do believe CrossFitters are the best at working out and can do anything regular gym goers throw at us." This is a great quote. Why? because to me you begin to distinguish between fitness and athleticism. What makes someone fit is not the same as what makes someone a good athlete. I also firmly believe that the average crossfitter will best the average gym goer at most things one might do in a gym. To me however this is distinct from "dominating an athlete". About your club's results in the run: congratulations! However, I have to wonder, if the majority of your club finished in the top 8 for their age group, how many people were in the race (for each age group)? And how many people are in your club? Also don't forget that Crossfitters appear in general to be more competitive, thus likely workout more and try harder at physical fitness, than the average person. So don't forget to try to control for this in your measurement. Question: is it Crossfit, or is it the type of personality that Crossfit attracts? To me it is naturally both.QUOTE]

To answer your question. There were over 50 people in each age division (20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39 etc). At the time of that race we had around 50 members of our gym.

And I agree with you that it's CrossFit as well as the type of personality CrossFit attracks.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #16
Camille Lore

Profile:  

I sincerely hope this thread isn't a bunch of :stir: We do encourage discussion of different ideas on the forum, as long as things remain respectful of each other.

CrossFit is many, many things. I recommend you attend one of the free CrossFit 101s with Coach Glassman and ask the man himself.

Otherwise give it a good honest try. I've been doing it over 2 yrs now. For me it started as the Main Page WODs. Now it's morphing into that and other things. I have learned FAR more from it than any other fitness attempt I've made in the past, at at nearly 40, I am the most fit I've ever been. I wouldn't go head to head with a competitive sprinter or oly lifter though!

Take what you like, leave the rest.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:03 AM   #17
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Lore View Post
CrossFit is many, many things. I recommend you attend one of the free CrossFit 101s with Coach Glassman and ask the man himself.
I really wish a 101 class could be recorded and viewed online - those classes fill up too damn fast!
Old 11-19-2009, 10:07 AM   #18
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Yoon View Post
I really wish a 101 class could be recorded and viewed online - those classes fill up too damn fast!
Jonathan,

The CF Overload film crew taped the 101 session I attended. I am sure it will hit the journal soon.

Ryan
Old 11-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #19
Tom Reyes

Profile:

OK, so you know you're drinking the Kool-Aid when you see "CVFMHI" and "IWCABTAMD" and they make perfect sense.......
Old 11-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #20
Frank DiMeo

Profile:

I can't speak for anyone else but myself, and I know my health & fitness level are far better after 4 years of CrossFit (which I began at age 55) than it would have been if I had not done this.
Lot's of folks are stronger & faster than I am, big deal, I'm having a blast doing CF!
Just did "Murph" with a 22lb weight vest on last week just for fun (now I'm 59). Do I find that valuable? You bet!