CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-15-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
Jonathan Frederick

Profile:
Critique Temporary Routine Please

Hello,

I've just started working out again after quite a long break due to moving, exams, etc. I'm 17 years old, maybe 5'10"ish, and about 120 pound. Yes, I know, I am quite skinny. I am kind of semi-muscular, however, I'm not the twig type. Therefore, one of my main goals is to put on some muscle mass. I've done quite a bit of background research on how to do this: eat a lot, eat clean, etc. I'm not about to start a bodybuilding routine as I do want functional strength as well. I don't have access to any (any) equipment right now (other than an exercise ball that is my chair for my computer). I am most likely getting a pull up bar and a dip station, as well as some dumbbells, and a heavy bag, in about 3 weeks. Now onto the routine:

And yes, I am aware that I only have pushing exercises; no exercises for the back and biceps. Thats due to lack of equipment. If you know of any back/bicep exercises I can do with no equipment, feel free to let me know.

6 days a week, Monday to Saturday, I work on handstand pushup holds and l-sit holds, as well as pistols. Pistols it seems like I have no hope of getting, I can't even balance at the bottom. I'mm trying though. Handstand pushups I can hold for a fair amount of time. I do get pain in my wrist and shoulders while doing it, so I'm just waiting to see if that goes away before I attempt to go down. I can go down a bit less than halfway and push up, so I'm doing pretty well.

Workout 1

3 x 10 widegrip pushups with 30 second break between sets
Rest 2 minutes
50 triangle pushups (using density training: start with 10 x 5, if i can do that move onto 8 x 6, then 6 x 8, etc) 30 second break between sets.
Rest 2 minutes
3 sets of regular pushups to failure, 2 minute break between sets
Rest 2 minutes
3 sets of triangle pushups to failure, 2 minute break between sets
Rest 2 minutes

As many circuits as possible of:
15 exercise ball crunches
15 back extensions
15 russian twists on ball
10 pushups
15 bicycles
Rest 1 minute

After finishing the circuits I do plank on the exercise ball until failure

I then do as many slow, deep, bodyweight squats in 3 minutes as I possibly can. Left me unable to walk down the stairs today .

Workout 2

50 wide grip pushups
50 normal pushups
50 triangle pushups
50 exercise ball crunches

I do them in any way I want, but finish one exercise before moving onto the next one. I time each exercise to see my improvement.

My schedule is:
monday - 1
tuesday - 2
wednesday - 1
thursday - rest
friday - 2
saturday - 1
sunday - rest

My goal right now is to work up to the handstand pushup, as well as gain more core strength for later, as well as putting on mass. So I'm trying to eat a lot to help with that There's a lot of tricep work (mostly from the triangle pushups) and core work to help me get the handstand pushups and the l-sit. I'm definitely going to incorporate handstand pushups, pullups, and dips in later, along with most likely weighted squats when I can. I'll most likely do a form of EDT (escalating density training) with handstand pushups and pullups in the same set, and then dips and squats or something like that once I get the necessary equipment, and hopefully move onto crossfit later once I get enough background fitness, a bit of mass to fulfull my aesthetic goals (yes, I know ), and enough equipment.

Thanks a lot for the help everyone, and I'm sorry for the very long post

John
Old 07-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
Re: Critique Temporary Routine Please

You need to read the FAQ and spend some time actually reading the information on this site.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
Polo Lopez

Profile:

I second Andrew's suggestion. Your desire to gain a level of fitness prior to starting CrossFit is understandable but unnecessary. Regardless of your lack of equipment, you might have all you need for the time being. As Andrew suggested, read the FAQ portion of the site, and then the CF journal article "Garage Gym." You are doing an only one movement, the Push-up. You have a med ball and could be doing med ball Cleans and Jerks. As for lack of a pull-up bar, go to the local park and get on the monkey bars. There is a video on "odd-object" lifting in the exercise/demo portion.
Do your research before getting into specifics. You will find a lot of your concerns and questions answered by searching the forum because a lot of threads have already been posted here with your same questions. Good luck in your journey.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
Michael Blazek

Profile:

Polo is right! Check out the Garage Gym Jounal. You will find you can get a lot of things with just a little money.

You want to stay as close to the WOD posted each day as possible. Until then Search the form for EVA's Bodyweight WODs. Its a list of like 100 WODs that are all body weight. Run to the park ( great cardio ) - and do EVA's WODs until you get your garage filled up.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #5
Derek Franks

Profile:

You need to start eating everything you can get your hands on and then some. At 5'10" at 120, you really need to gain some weight.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:52 AM   #6
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Why are you posting here??? This is Crossfit and for the most part, follow the Crossift WODS.
You want to make some stuff up, cool, so post on the "Make Some Stuff Up" site, and ask the other posters to comment.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:40 AM   #7
Justin Shipley

Profile:

What everyone said.
You have a lower body. Squat. Lunge. Step up. Climb. Jump. Deadlift. Goodmorning. Blah blah blah...
Surely to god you can find something to do pullups on?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:06 AM   #8
Scott Borre

Profile:

There was a recent thread on bodyweight exercises for when you don't have any equip, and how to still do CrossFit.

here's an example.

5 rounds for time:
15 Supermans
15 Situps
25 Pushups
10 Pullups (go to any kids park and you can do pullups)
15 Squats

--

Other advice. And I don't necessarily follow this when I don't have equipment. But go find something heavy and lift it. I don't care if its your TV, a big stone outside (and throw it), a friend, whatever. Sure its not like you can easily add on more weight and do a lot of exercises, but the world is a gym if you look hard enough.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:58 AM   #9
Michael Blazek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Borre View Post
But go find something heavy and lift it. I don't care if its your TV, a big stone outside (and throw it), a friend, whatever.
My friends think I'm crazy enough doing crossfit and constantly talking about it. Not sure if they would like if I picked them up and threw them.