CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-08-2008, 01:28 PM   #1
Brandon Craddock

Profile:
this POSE method...

I've seen the pose method for running site and all these other vids, but for some reason or another, I am just not getting the jist of it. If anyone has any independent material or other websites, threads etc that can explain this thoroughly I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: this POSE method...

I don't know of any independent material, but I found the videos on the posetech web site to be pretty self explanatory.

POSE involves "landing" on the ball of your foot (not the heel), with your foot directly under your center of mass. Ideally this means that your foot acts merely as a support, rather than as a propellant. In traditional running, you push off with your foot, then land on your heel in front, roll over the heel, onto the toes, and then push off again.

In POSE there is no pushing, just supporting.

POSE-FALL-PULL

POSE
Involves the stance you take on the ball of your foot, with the leg slightly bent at the knee, in a slight lean forward from the ankle (not the hips). This initial pose leads you into the...

FALL
The lean forward from the ankle allows gravity to move you forward as you quite literally fall forwards -- Practice this against a wall. Falling forwards would be pretty useless without the...

PULL
Pulling your support foot up from the ground as quickly as possible will naturally bring your other foot down to act as the next support. Think of a ball rolling down a road over a cliff. Unless you keep adding supports/more road underneath it, it will fall into the ravine.

Same with the feet. Unless you rapidly change support structures (ie picking up and replacing your feet as you fall forward), you will crash into the ground. As long as you are providing vertical support, gravity will take care of the horizontal movement.

This process, repeated and repeated, is what healthy running should look like. You're not using brute strength to push yourself forwards -- you're using your feet as supports to keep you from falling into the ground, while gravity moves you forward.

It's kind of abstract in text and in practice, but in video it's really quite simple to see the differences.

What exactly are you having trouble with? There are lots of other good threads and resources -- check out YouTube as well.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:14 PM   #3
Brandon Craddock

Profile:

actually that was pretty thorough, guess sometimes you just have to have someone else say it differently...though I will do some more in depth searching before I pose (no pun intended) another question minus the gravity taking over part.

Landing on the ball of my foot is easy, keeping the stride short (or at least that's the way I see it) is the means to maitaining position over your center mass and simply pulling with your hammies.

In reference to the ankle bend rather than the hip bend to maintain that falling motion is probably the most problematic minus the newfound stress placed on the hamstrings.

but in any case thanks
Old 07-08-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
Gary Ohm

Profile:

You are likely as well to really feel a difference in your calves. All the way from the origin of the Achilles to your knee. Start very slow. Also, if you start out barefoot you will be forced to transition quicker to proper technique. If by chance you have access to a public golf course or a beach to run on, all the better. Good luck.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:17 PM   #5
Mark Reinke

Profile:

If you feel it in your calves, you're dorsiflexing your ankle too much and not keeping it loose and nimble. Good POSE running will not cause calf soreness/discomfort. It's also important to not that your heel does strike the ground, but as a follow through after you land on the balls of your feet.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
lisa taylor

Profile:

If you have the bones, go ahead and buy the DVD. I've already gotten my dollar's worth out of it.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #7
Chris Robinson

Profile:

Lisa, do you just have the DVD or do you have the book and DVD? I'm going to a running Cert in September, but I was thinking about getting the book and possibly DVD so that I can start working on my form now. However, I want to make sure it will be useful before I drop the cash.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #8
Gary Ohm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Reinke View Post
If you feel it in your calves, you're dorsiflexing your ankle too much and not keeping it loose and nimble. Good POSE running will not cause calf soreness/discomfort. It's also important to not that your heel does strike the ground, but as a follow through after you land on the balls of your feet.

If you start running in shoes with no heels at all and you are not used to it, you will feel it in your calves. At first everyone will dorsiflex. I thought that is what many of the drills are supposed to take care
At first the feet and calf strains do take some getting used to. Running barefoot will virtually ensure your heel does not hit the ground. Especially if you run on concrete or even a track.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:50 PM   #9
lisa taylor

Profile:

Hey,
I just got the DVD, it came with a book"let" in the case. Haven't thrown down the bones for the book though.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:36 PM   #10
Polo Lopez

Profile:

If you're looking for help with the POSE technique, try speaking with Brian Mackenzie of Newport Beach CrossFit, crossfitendurance.com (wfs), and genetic-potential.com (wfs). He's a level 3 POSE tech coach. He has a few videos on the main site, however, he has mentioned before in previous threads that he has seen many people try to get the technique on their own only to miss the mark. Getting a POSE coach or CF affiliate to work with you is worth it's weight in gold. When I went to get certified, Brian was the instructor for the running (POSE) portion and the information was invaluable. It helped me immensely and has brought my run times down to what they were when I was running in the ARMY (2 mile 11:30) almost 12 years ago. That's saying a lot since I don't run unless it's Rx'd on the main site WOD. Save yourself a lot of trouble and call Brain. Hope that will help. Good luck to you.