CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-16-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Burned out MetCon-wise

I feel like metcon WODS take alot more out of me mentally than the strength WODs (besides physically...duh). I play golf alot and for any golfers out there, you know that you are mentally drained at the end of a round, especially if it's a tournament. So as a result I have been shying away from doing metcon WODs, since I workout after I golf and I am mentally drained. Also, you know you need to be determined and have your mind set on beating your PR, especially in tough metcon WODs like Murph, Cindy, etc. Does anyone else feel the same way? Not necessarily golfers, just people who, in general, are mentally drained at the end of a stressful day and can't do a metcon WOD as a result? Or do you just say F*** it and grind through the WOD?
Old 06-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
Polo Lopez

Profile:
Re: Burned out MetCon-wise

Grind through it.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:07 PM   #3
Stephen Smith

Profile:

Sometimes after a bad day at work I feel like I'd rather just veg out on the couch, but once I'm in the gym and warming up I'm usually good to go. It's totally a mental thing, since physically I'm usually ok.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:12 PM   #4
Justin Algera

Profile:

I don't know... Lifting heavy always drains the s*** out of me. With metcons, Im fine 10-15 min later, but hitting the weights fries me for the rest of the day/evening.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Less metcon then. More Tabatas, scaled back versions of "The Girls" etc. Look to Gant Grimes' 'Hybrid' thread for more information.

Grinding through it is the last thing I would suggest. How is your recovery? Sleep, nutrition, stress should all be addressed, and if everything is in order, then take anywhere from 2-7 days off to recharge and let your CNS recover a bit.

I personally can identify. Some of the metcons can really drain me. I lift heavy much more often these days, a la Gant's approach, with Metcon maybe 3x's/week but much shorter. Half Cindy's, and other short, intense, strength based metcons.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:57 PM   #6
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

That's good advice Derek, but his problem is more mental. But Derek's still mostly right. You need mental rest as well, and it's not always healthy to just push yourself beyond the break -- mentally or physically.

Continue to challenge yourself and scale the WODs appropriately. You will only build that mental endurance by continuing to throw stuff at it, but don't risk some sort of "mental injury" by just barreling through WODs and golf tournaments and stressing yourself out.

Do what you can do healthily, and then build on it... that's about all you can do. your diet and rest are as important for mental health as they are for physical health. Get them in gear if they aren't already. Group workouts might help with the motivation, and maybe you should try switching up when you do the WODs so they don't always follow a draining day on the links.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:13 AM   #7
Polo Lopez

Profile:

I agree with Elliot.
With all due respect, by "Grinding through it", I mean with all things being equal, sometimes the only way to reach new limits is to push. I train and compete in Brazilian jiu-jitsu and for me after a hard training session, doing a Met-con WOD helps me physically and mentally. I've talked to Coach Glassman and he once told me the best time to do a WOD is right after a hard training session. Improvement comes from hard work (i.e. intensity), however you do have to watch yourself. So, with what Derek has mentioned about nutrition, recovery, rest, and things being in order, push through it. Golf is mentally demanding and walking the from hole to hole wears on you so you have to determine when to do the WOD and to what extent (i.e. scaling) So what are your goals?
How long have you been CF-ing? Met-cons are supposed to wear you down. Nothing about CF ever gets easier. As you get fit you'll push for better times. "Men will die for points"-Coach Glassman. You may need to scale back. Treat the main site WOD like it's meant for elite athletes, then judge where you stand. That's what Brand-X is all about. Before doing "Hybrid" programs, see where you're at and go from there. Those things in daily life like stress are the variables that we train to compete against. CF helps you compete against them.
So, think about all those soldiers that have to walk on patrol carrying packs sometimes weighing close to 80 lbs. or the ones scrambling in fire fights, and then get back to base to do a CF WOD. Watch the vids from Camp Pendleton. Most of them put in a P.T. session that morning then do a WOD that afternoon. No air, no comforts. Ask yourself, how tired are you really? The body is an incredible tool.

Last edited by Polo Lopez : 06-17-2008 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:43 AM   #8
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Good post, Polo
Old 06-17-2008, 04:42 AM   #9
Dave Parmly

Profile:

Sounds like you might want to re-calibrate your goals i.e. "Why are you doing this?" Some days, that's the only thing that gets me going.

I am not a Type-A obsessively driven man, but when I have a goal in front of me, I tend to stay more focused and disciplined than when I don't.

MY son and I intend to take the SEAL Challenge at the National Scout Jamboree in July 2010. I intend to wear something "Ranger-y" just to (good-naturedly) provoke a "OK, tough guy..." response from the good, gentle SEALs who run the thing. I know I'll get no slack. So my 2-year goal is to be able to, not merely 'pass' but to SMOKE the events.

That's my long term goal that keeps me focused and moving on to the objective...
Old 06-17-2008, 06:22 AM   #10
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

When was the last time you took a week off?