CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-19-2015, 09:43 PM   #41
Marshall Flagg

Profile:
Re: comprehensive barbell list 2015

I am quite smitten with my Eleiko but I would really like to get my calloused paws on the Rogue Euro steel bar
Old 05-20-2015, 06:26 AM   #42
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Marshall,

Did you buy the training bar ? or the sport training bar. Right now the difference is $170 between the Rogue and the Eleiko. Would be so nice to lift on both and decide but the odds of that happening are zero. One day I will buy myself a nicer bar. Currently have a Pendlay bearing bar, is that not what you had as well ?
Old 05-20-2015, 11:38 AM   #43
Joey Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Flagg View Post
I am quite smitten with my Eleiko but I would really like to get my calloused paws on the Rogue Euro steel bar
No kidding. I was quite happy with my bar lineup until that thing was released.. Must.. find.. a way.. Ha
Old 05-20-2015, 11:42 AM   #44
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

I bought the Eleiko WL Training bar. It is a great bar. I love the Knurl. Full disclosure on the bar...Eleiko uses grease in the bearings. When I got it last winter it came from frigid Chicago and never really warmed up. When I pulled it from the tube the shaft would not spin a full rotation. I spoke with Alex at Eleiko several times about it.

He was willing to send a different bar but the logic behind the explanation made perfect sense to me and I kept it and I am not worried about it.

The grease gets stiff as hell when it is cold therefore it doesn't spin like one would expect. The bar had broken it nicely but is still is effected by the cold. In the mornings, after spending the night in the garage it does not spin great. If I lift in the afternoons, I put it in the sun for a while and it spins well. If it is cold enough to run my propane heater I will warm the bar up with the heater and is will spin fine.

When I talk about spin, I am talking about the shaft spinning while loaded with plates. On the rack, the Eleiko, loaded with 10kg plates will spin smoothly forever.

I don't know if a wildly free spinning bar is necessary but I do like that metal on metal zing a bar like that has.

By comparison my Pendlay bearing bar spins freely all the time but that just has some kind of oil lubricant. While it allows the bar to spin, the oil v grease longevity argument comes into play. Grease is better in the long run in an application like that.

The reason I purchased and Eleiko is because I have used ancient Eleiko bars that are just sublime. I fully expect my bar to break in over time and become like the others I have used. I use and abuse it. I am the only one using it so it will never get the mileage a community bar will.

Having both, the Eleiko knurl suits me so much better that the Pendlay. I have a hard time with the Pendlay because I have to grip the bar a lot tighter. The Eleiko sticks to my hands.

It is nice Eleiko has lowered the prices on their bars a bit. I was fortunate to have a discount code for Eleiko when I bought all my stuff.

I am not National level lifter-not senior National anyway. I am just an old guy lifting babyweights in my garage. I don't have any reviews on my Instagram but if you are interested my account is @mjflagg if you wanna see the bar in action
Old 05-20-2015, 08:07 PM   #45
Christopher Morris

Profile:

I'm planning on getting an Ohio bar (not the powerlifting bar - I want the all purpose Ohio bar). I'll be storing it in my garage, where the winters are cold. Do you know if it uses oil or grease lubricant? I hadn't considered this issue before your post.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:48 PM   #46
John Burgeson

Profile:

It's oil, if anything at all. The Ohio(s) are bronze bushing bars, not bearing bars.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #47
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Flagg View Post
By comparison my Pendlay bearing bar spins freely all the time but that just has some kind of oil lubricant. While it allows the bar to spin, the oil v grease longevity argument comes into play. Grease is better in the long run in an application like that.
I guess I'm not sure why the grease would be an advantage. If it's useful temperature range is much lower than an oil that other bars use, then it makes it a less-useful barbell. And I'm not sure durability is an issue, since Pendlay's bars are warranted for life, and I am fairly certain that they would replace one if, by some chance, the oil did "wear out" and the spin suffered.

Durability is a good marketing ploy, but will it really matter? If the greased bar will last 80 years and the oiled bar will last 50 years, then it won't make a whole lot of difference since almost no one will use a single bar for that long.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:40 PM   #48
John Burgeson

Profile:

I think the fact that there are so many 20+ year old Eleiko's still in use is a testament to their methods.

About that lifetime warranty... yeah right.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:07 PM   #49
Steven Thunander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Burgeson View Post
It's oil, if anything at all. The Ohio(s) are bronze bushing bars, not bearing bars.
The Ohio Bar has 2+ oil impregnated bronze bushings in each sleeve.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:29 AM   #50
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Burgeson View Post
I think the fact that there are so many 20+ year old Eleiko's still in use is a testament to their methods.

About that lifetime warranty... yeah right.
Nothing in your comment refutes anything that I posted. I didn't say anything about Elieko's reputation - that has nothing to do with whether grease is better then oil or not. And do you have any evidence that Pendlay doesn't honor their warranty?