CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-01-2014, 04:29 AM   #1
Daniel Jefferson

Profile:
Strength programs.

Hi folks, Happy new year!

little advice needed,

I'm going to be starting a strength program from Monday. I've been doing strength and conditioning, crossfit, boxing etc... For years now but not really followed a strength program. I'm looking to get my numbers up in all the lifts (c+j, snatch, squat, bench, deadlift etc) I train 5 out of 7 2x a day. I currently do heavy lifting but not as heavy as I think I could be potentially doing, for example I am 83Kg and the most I have back squat is 130Kg when I see guys my weight lifting a lot more it makes me think I can potentially be at that level just don't know the best way to get there. In terms of my technique it is pretty sound. I do accessory work to try and strengthen up my hams and glutes but still numbers seem to plateau.

Does anyone recommend a good program to follow? I've heard about a few ie- 5,3,1 cf conjugate, westside. The thing is I can't seem to find a template for these programs?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Dan
Old 01-01-2014, 07:12 AM   #2
Thomas Mitchell

Profile:
Re: Strength programs.

5x5 stronglifts program is a great program that i used to get my lifts up.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5...ining-program/
Old 01-01-2014, 09:46 AM   #3
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

The general advice is to put conditioning on the back burner and run a linear progression program (stronglifts is an example so is Starting Strength). Once you stall and reset 2 or 3 times, then most do well on a blended program of strength and conditioning which is 2-4 strength sessions a week with 2-4 conditioning sessions a week (but you need to monitor overall volume to continue progress).

Good blended programs are CrossFit Football (heck you could probably start that now on the amateur level), 5/3/1 with conditioning added in (Jim Wendler's E-book is pretty cheap and covers a lot of ground), or Westside with conditioning (check out www.goldenempiretraining.com (WFS)) or search Scarpulla or Westside or Conjugate on this site).

In addition several boxes run good programming that hits strength and conditioning well that are not metcon mills. Outlaw, OPT, Catalyst, Invictus, and I think Ben Bergeron runs one too.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #4
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
The general advice is to put conditioning on the back burner and run a linear progression program (stronglifts is an example so is Starting Strength). Once you stall and reset 2 or 3 times, then most do well on a blended program of strength and conditioning which is 2-4 strength sessions a week with 2-4 conditioning sessions a week (but you need to monitor overall volume to continue progress).

Good blended programs are CrossFit Football (heck you could probably start that now on the amateur level), 5/3/1 with conditioning added in (Jim Wendler's E-book is pretty cheap and covers a lot of ground), or Westside with conditioning (check out www.goldenempiretraining.com (WFS)) or search Scarpulla or Westside or Conjugate on this site).

In addition several boxes run good programming that hits strength and conditioning well that are not metcon mills. Outlaw, OPT, Catalyst, Invictus, and I think Ben Bergeron runs one too.
good advice.

there are lots of good strength programs. pick one and follow it. but following it means doing the program, including the conditioning, diet, and rest it recommends. regardless of what strength program you choose, you will not make progress trying twice a day, 5 days a week. or, at least you won't make progress very fast in terms of strength, and certainly not without eating and sleeping like it was your job when you aren't training.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:08 AM   #5
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Jefferson View Post
Any help would be really appreciated.
You might find this helpful.

ACSM Position Stand: Progression Models in Resistance Training for Healthy Adults. (wfs)
Old 01-01-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
Daniel Jefferson

Profile:

Thanks very much for the replies.

Is the ebook the 5,3,1 2nd edition book? I have just downloaded this. I was looking for a program template such as excel that you can enter the % but they all seem to charge. Possibly I will need to pay to get one of these templates do you think? I will read the ebook. I had a look at the crossfit football programme and this looks really good I'm just a bit unsure how to scale the weights and the percentages.

D
Old 01-01-2014, 03:33 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Jefferson View Post
Thanks very much for the replies.

Is the ebook the 5,3,1 2nd edition book? I have just downloaded this. I was looking for a program template such as excel that you can enter the % but they all seem to charge. Possibly I will need to pay to get one of these templates do you think? I will read the ebook. I had a look at the crossfit football programme and this looks really good I'm just a bit unsure how to scale the weights and the percentages.

D
Send me a PM with your email address and I can forward you my 5/3/1 template. It'll cover everything including assistance work for the next 12 months.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:43 PM   #8
William Garrett

Profile:

WFS Link
http://blackironbeast.com/

Does all your work for you...multiple models etc.
M/35/5'10@190lbs/L1 -- Squat 420, FS 325, DL 520, Press 215, Bench 315, 5k Row 19:30
Old 01-02-2014, 07:09 AM   #9
Bryan Hood

Profile:

Westside Barbell hands down.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #10
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
The general advice is to put conditioning on the back burner and run a linear progression program (stronglifts is an example so is Starting Strength, or Greyskull). Once you stall and reset 2 or 3 times, then most do well on a blended program of strength and conditioning which is 2-4 strength sessions a week with 2-4 conditioning sessions a week (but you need to monitor overall volume to continue progress).

Good blended programs are CrossFit Football (heck you could probably start that now on the amateur level), 5/3/1 with conditioning added in (Jim Wendler's E-book is pretty cheap and covers a lot of ground), or Westside with conditioning (check out www.goldenempiretraining.com) or search Scarpulla or Westside or Conjugate on this site).

In addition several boxes run good programming that hits strength and conditioning well that are not metcon mills. Outlaw, OPT, Catalyst, Invictus (performance blog, or competition blog) , and I think Ben Bergeron runs one too.

Most solid advice you can get on this. Links have been placed for the programs mentioned. All are wfs.