CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #21
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: What do you think of my program and diet?

4 weeks is one cycle, so you didn't even give it enough time to see how much your 5+ strength improved in the second month.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #22
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

5x5 may have worked faster over a few short weeks. maybe not. no way to know. however, i think the thing to understand is that it is easy to create a short term program that gives good fast results. there are tons of such good programs out there that will boost squat or bench or whatever in a short time by focusing on it, just like there are programs the will help you shed fat faster or gain weight quickly. but none of these are meant to be long term programs. and that is the weakness to these programs is that you have to pretty much set everything else aside while you do them. nothing wrong with doing such programs. but that doesn't make them better or worse, it makes them different for a different purpose. the key here is in your statement that after you got off the 5x5 and started back doing metcon that you haven't improved. so the question is are you better off this far down the line with the 5x5, or would it have been better to make slower progress doing 5/3/1 and would you be stronger at this point in time with that approach? the thing with a program like 5/3/1 is that it is designed to be a long term program for people that are maxed out on stuff like 5x5, SS, etc. and the thing with 5/3/1 is that you can easily continue to make slow and steady progress with it while making other improvements in areas such as metcon. based on your other thread about making it to regionals and your current strengths and weakness, 5/3/1 or a program like it is probably exactly what you need in order to be able to maintain and slowly and steadily increase strength while working on improving your other areas of fitness at the same time. or you could so the same thing by following a CF specific program such as Outlaw. there are many good programs out there and many good gyms that focus on slow strength plus improving metcon that put the program online for free.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:55 AM   #23
Angus White

Profile:

To be honest I think you should really go by feel because a lot of people will find tht intensity tough but by the sounds of it you're not a newbie so I would see how it goes and cut back or intensify by how your body feels. I know that my body can handle a lot of conditioning for example but I have to cut back on lifting with the same intensity as that's just how I'm built. So all in all go by feel and results
Old 08-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #24
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

I think there should be a chip installed in everyone... when you switch programs every 4 weeks instead of sticking with one for 6-12 months you have to endure hourly shocks until you get through 6 months...

Pick a program and just do it... dont switch because your not making gains someone else says you'll make on theirs...
Old 08-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #25
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
I think there should be a chip installed in everyone... when you switch programs every 4 weeks instead of sticking with one for 6-12 months you have to endure hourly shocks until you get through 6 months...

Pick a program and just do it... dont switch because your not making gains someone else says you'll make on theirs...
There should also be a chip that gives you a jolt if you're trying to make up your own program when (a) you're not qualified/experienced enough to do so and (b) there are umpteen-thousand existing programs on the Internet for free (or dirt cheap) that are designed to do exactly what you're trying to do.

- Mark
Old 08-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #26
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Wendler says it best...

Quote:
"Don't customize: This probably applies to any program published on this site, but it especially matters for 5/3/1. You must do the program the way it's written.

"People ask the craziest ****," Wendler says, his voice getting louder again. " 'Can I combine 5/3/1 with Westside for Skinny Bastards?' Why not just do one or the other and make progress?

"These same guys then ***** three months later on some message board that the program didn't work. That's like complaining that your girl got pregnant despite you using a Trojan condom, except you forget to mention you were wearing the condom on your freakin' fingers."
Old 08-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #27
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Mitchell View Post
well this program put 30kgs on my squat 20kgs on my bench in 8 weeks lol
That is because you were really weak to start and are still weak. So, I wouldn't get overly excited just yet...

You don't eat enough.

Pulling and squatting heavy every week with that kind of volume will very likely lead to lower back issues over time.

I think you should consider a revision of your program if you want to get stronger.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #28
Thomas Mitchell

Profile:

Thanks for all your help Andrew, I'm doing a catalyst program at the moment and have been for a while and im enjoying it which is the main thing. Chris i don't eat like this anymore I dont follow a plan i just head when im hungry and i eat paleo with dairy added. Thanks guys