CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
Jeremy Heerdink

Profile:
Military CrossFitters...

Hello,

I am currently working a capstone project on introducing CrossFit methodology into the Army physical fitness program. If you are in the military and use CrossFit, please take a few minutes and answer the survey from the link below. The link is safe for home or office use. Thanks for your time and help.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7C92RG8

Jeremy
Old 07-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
Travis Denman

Profile:
Re: Military CrossFitters...

i read a report written at the command and general staff college on the exact same topic. here is a link ......link is work family safe.
http://www.25idl.army.mil/PT/U.S.%20...it%20Study.pdf
Old 07-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
Stuart Bryden

Profile:

Jeremy,

I did a lot of work when stationed at Ft Sill where the ADA CCC now runs a CrossFit type methodology. If you contact my replacement, CPT Christian George (Australian exchange instructor) he could give you a lot of the information briefs and equipment proposals I put forward which might help you along the way. Includes test results for APFT with/without CrossFit. All the best.

Stu Bryden
Old 07-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
Adrian Garcia

Profile:

Ill be honest here. I'm in the Army and I love Crossfit. However there are just too many people in the Army that will not embrace it. I used to watch the ADA guys getting Crossfit training at Sill. I tried to get the Artillery side involved but only a few would do it, the rest were runners or those that already knew "how to workout".

This list is interesting.

! 10 ea Olympic Barbells (45 lbs)
! Olympic Bumper plates of various weights (45, 35, 25, 10, 5 lbs plates) ! 10 ea Squat Racks
! 5 ea Flat Bench
! 5 ea Kettlebells – 55 lbs
! 5 ea Kettlebells – 35 lbs
! 5 ea Kettlebells – 20 lbs
! Pull-up Bars
! 5 ea Medicine Balls – 20 lbs
! 5 ea Medicine Balls – 14 lbs
! 3 ea Medicine Balls – 10 lbs
! 10 ea AbMatฎ
! 5 pr Parallettes
! 10 ea Tumbling Mats
! 5 pr Gymnastics Still Rings with Straps
! 10 ea Plyometric Boxes – 24-in
! 5 ea Plyometric Boxes – 20-in
! 20 ea Jump Ropes

Looking at that article this is the list of equipment on that article. This is barely enough for a single platoon now imagine having to have enough equipment for 500,000 active duty Army Soldiers. Then imagine that for the other military branches then maintaince cost to replace equipment. The equipment contract will go up for bids so forget having fancy Rogue equipment, we'd end up with Cap brands like at the local on post gyms. Soldiers wont take care of it, the unit I'm in at Bliss has some unit equipment that has seen better days. Not to mention the costs of training instructors to train. I'd imagine it would be a watered down certification that's not nearly as good as the real deal. Not to mention all the non fitness types that I see in the Army that will say, "I can pass my PT Test height and weight why do I need to deadlift"? Or "your going to hurt someone". Ect ect. I already know so many people the have said "Crossfit isn't for me".

The US Army just went down the "Change the PT program" road and its the same test I've been doing since the late 90's. the only thing that is different is that there is a new PT FM. FM7-22, Army PRT. At my new unit it's not embraced at all. I've asked about it, however I get the "this is the way we do PT" in this unit responses. PT has become a mindless one hour activity in the Army. It's too easy to do a run mon-wed-fri and push ups/sit ups tue-thurs. Not to mention those that skip out after the flag is raised, it's just rediculous!

I'm lucky in that my new boss is a Crossfit guy and we showed up to the unit at the same time. so we take our group of Officers and do our own PT. As far as the rest, I can NOT see it ever happening.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:45 AM   #5
Eric J Leon

Profile:

I'd like to see HSPUs on a CRM
Old 08-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
Michael Golden

Profile:

Filled out the survey. Do you run CrossFit Workhorse? How do you go about starting a non-profit affiliate. I think that's a great way to introduce more military personnel to Crossfit.